Finally got to play a SV20H

• Thread starter Maggot Brain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Wow... It sucks... I'm no longer as impressed as I once was with my Origin20 haha... The SV20 is a glorious Marshall and is bumped to the top of my gear list.... Talk about GAS!

I only spent about 35 minutes with it but what an inspiring experience. The amount of clarity, detail and depth is phenomenal and of course once pushed is just pure Marshall bliss. I was extremely impressed with the 5 watt setting, I found it to be perfectly usable and found it quite manageable even when it was starting to get crunchy. The amount of presence and cut really impressed me, out on the floor prior to going into the sound room, I was dominating over about 4 other guitarist noodling around at decent volumes.

It sounded like a plexi 100% (of course) and now I honestly wish I had saved my money for one.

As Marshall fan, I can't imagine a more perfect modern vintage plexi!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Last edited:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... It sucks... I'm no longer as impressed as I once was with my Origin20 haha... The SV20 is a glorious Marshall and is bumped to the top of my gear list.... Talk about GAS!

I only spent about 35 minutes with it but what an inspiring experience. The amount of clarity, detail and depth is phenomenal and of course once pushed is just pure Marshall bliss. I was extremely impressed with the 5 watt setting, I found it to be perfectly usable and found it quite manageable even when it was starting to get crunchy. The amount of presence and cut really impressed me, out on the floor prior to going into the sound room, I was dominating over about 4 other guitarist noodling around at decent volumes.

It sounded like a plexi 100% (of course) and now I honestly wish I had saved my money for one.

F-yeah! I mean, sorry about your GAS. I love mine.
Well, if you're talking 20w, or less, I'd have to agree, otherwise...

https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/vintage-reissues/1987x
One day I hope to replace my Traynor with a 1987. The Traynor isn’t as sweet sounding as my SV20H, but the Traynor has bigger bass. My hope is that the 1987 has the sweetness of the SV20, but also the balls that I get from the Traynor.

Last edited:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Great …… Now I have GAS again too !!

they have pills for that.

300430017181.jpg

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score

Yep. They nailed it with this amp. Lately my VM combo has only been used as a cab and back up for the SV20h.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Yeah, I immediately came home after playing the SV20 and started playing and comparing the Origin, not a true side by side but I can hear and feel the difference... Don't get me wrong, the Origin is actually still an incredible amp imo but there is just something about the SV20 that makes it stand out more. I do have to admit after playing the SV20, I am even more impressed with the tone of my Bassbreaker45, it is pretty damn similar in my opinion.

I did just come back from a month long hiatus of playing the guitar but sitting down with that SV20 just felt so so so good. The musicality of it is hard to describe but it just sounded oh so "sweet"... I felt as I could have sat there and noodled all night. I was playing much more confident than usual in public, the notes just "jumped out" and all I did was grab the nearest strat, plugged into bright channel hi, quickly dialed in a rather neutral eq setting just to get started and boom instant tone bliss just like that... probably the quickest and easiest I've dialed in an amp and had just beautiful tone right out the gate...

I can't wait to own one, I see why they are so damn popular!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Haha! Bad move buddy, you shouldn’t have done that until you’re ready to buy! Lol. Therein lies the reason I will NOT go in a GC and try a SV20,…. I know I’ll like/love it, and want to buy it, but I can’t afford it, soooo,….:shrug:

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I immediately came home after playing the SV20 and started playing and comparing the Origin, not a true side by side but I can hear and feel the difference... Don't get me wrong, the Origin is actually still an incredible amp imo but there is just something about the SV20 that makes it stand out more. I do have to admit after playing the SV20, I am even more impressed with the tone of my Bassbreaker45, it is pretty damn similar in my opinion.

I did just come back from a month long hiatus of playing the guitar but sitting down with that SV20 just felt so so so good. The musicality of it is hard to describe but it just sounded oh so "sweet"... I felt as I could have sat there and noodled all night. I was playing much more confident than usual in public, the notes just "jumped out" and all I did was grab the nearest strat, plugged into bright channel hi, quickly dialed in a rather neutral eq setting just to get started and boom instant tone bliss just like that... probably the quickest and easiest I've dialed in an amp and had just beautiful tone right out the gate...

I can't wait to own one, I see why they are so damn popular!
Damn MB, I'd written off thinking about an SV after reading all the whining and complaining about them.
I ignore a large swath of opinions that get spewn out around here, but every one of of yours that I've tried for myself has been spot on.
Since I don't give AF about being too loud, this is back on my radar.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Haha! Bad move buddy, you shouldn’t have done that until you’re not ready to buy! Lol. Therein lies the reason I will NOT go in a GC and try a SV20,…. I know I’ll like/love it, and want to buy it, but I can’t afford it, soooo,….:shrug:
(echoplex still on...)

>>>>>you need an SV20! you can afford it!<<<<<<

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
they have pills for that.

300430017181.jpg

Those pills are a very poor substitute for the real cure! We all know what THAT is! :naughty:

Damn MB, I'd written off thinking about an SV after reading all the whining and complaining about them.
I ignore a large swath of opinions that get spewn out around here, but every one of of yours that I've tried for myself has been spot on.
Since I don't give AF about being too loud, this is back on my radar.

I'm not really certain that I'm aware of where you've been "reading all the whining and complaining about them." They sure seem to be VERY popular and the 28 day test drive I did on the SV20C combo was absolutely stunning!

Just Head Scratchin' :scratch:
Gene

CroTone

Reaction score

Dude, don't go through that rabbit hole. Because you will want studio JCM 800 and silver jubilee very soon. I know, I speak from my own experience.
Now seriously, I have an SV20 myself and it is difficult to say anything bad about this amp. Very difficult.;)

Last edited:

CroTone

Reaction score
I've heard people whining that it's too loud but I haven't heard anyone whining about the tone. Now you know why....

Said it before but whoever at Marshall signed the recent amps off has got the ears. Wasn't always the case.
I think they hit a home run with all three amps from the Studio series. :thumb:
They all sound amazing in their own right.

ichocobo

Reaction score
I made the switch about 8 months ago, and really happy with it. I agree with every word you've said, it has something the origin lacks of...

BUT... I wish I've seen this video before the switch. There is a comparison between the modded origin and the sc20 too, and they sound really close. Now I'm in doubt if the origin had more to offer than I was able to get from it...