First Marshall for a Fender/Vox guy: SV20 vs Vintage Modern/2266

• Thread starter gswearengin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gswearengin

Reaction score
So, Iā€™ve had the SV20H/SV212 combo for a couple days now. Overall, Iā€™m pretty happy with it. Itā€™s awesome, itā€™s beautiful, but Iā€™m not 100% convinced yet.

I would be happy if I could get a little fuller bass, less ā€œhistrionicā€ treble, and better volume control. Am I potentially describing the vintage modern here?

Iā€™ve also had the realization that, with everything I have planned for the SV20 (KT66ā€™s, greenbacks), Iā€™m not that crazy far off from the price of a 2266c (vintage modern combo)ā€¦I could pilfer those parts and keep the rest, or I might just learn that I prefer it overall and donā€™t need the SV20.

This idea is super tempting, and also completely ridiculous. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Gary

JohnH

Reaction score
My first thought is, if you have your SV20 in place now, are you able to evaluate it at high volume (in ideally 20w or else 5w mode)? If not and you're needing to set it lower, then Id expect that you may not yet have experienced its best tone.

Second thought is, other than speakers, and maybe tube rolling (of the same type), I'd be hesitant to hack into these two fine amps, and definitely not until fully evaluated.

If you want a project, then I have a suggestion.....

gswearengin

Reaction score
If you want a project, then I have a suggestion.....
Iā€™ll get there eventually. :) Iā€™m not that impressed with the super cheap Thomann attenuator so far, but Iā€™ve hardly used it.

The SV20 is the loudest Iā€™ve ever dared to play in my basement. No complaints so far, except for my ears. I can get the normal volume up at least halfway, even in 20 watt mode, but canā€™t get the high treble channel past 9:00 or so without it just becoming punishingly loud and bright..

Iā€™ve been using it with my Two Notes Captor. I can kinda get by on 20 watt mode for clean, 5 watt mode for crunch during the day, and then the same using the -20dB output at night.

It would be nice to have more granular attenuation than that, but I know you have a suggestion for that. :)

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So, Iā€™ve had the SV20H/SV212 combo for a couple days now. Overall, Iā€™m pretty happy with it. Itā€™s awesome, itā€™s beautiful, but Iā€™m not 100% convinced yet.

I would be happy if I could get a little fuller bass, less ā€œhistrionicā€ treble, and better volume control. Am I potentially describing the vintage modern here?

Iā€™ve also had the realization that, with everything I have planned for the SV20 (KT66ā€™s, greenbacks), Iā€™m not that crazy far off from the price of a 2266c (vintage modern combo)ā€¦I could pilfer those parts and keep the rest, or I might just learn that I prefer it overall and donā€™t need the SV20.

This idea is super tempting, and also completely ridiculous. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Gary
Get the VM so you can do a side by side comparison, sell the one you dont like. I dont know how much gain youre after with the SV20 but I use a JHS volume box in the loop and the amp volume dimed gets me a nice classic rock low gain at home volumes, and then punch a clean boost out front for anything gainier. You gotta break in the speakers before you make any judgement on your new cab. This is the amp I play when I do late night quiet play, it sounds great at low volume with the JHS in the loop. :yesway:

I have played a VM combo years ago, I dont much remember what I didnt like about it but I do recall trying it several times and just never digging the tone or functionality of the amp, if I recall the gain was kind of synthetic sounding and boomy. Yuk...

speyfly

Reaction score
The Studio Plexi is a dream come true for those of us that want to relive the late 60's through the early 80"s. That said a Plexi amp is very unforgiving and it will expose your mistakes and weaknesses!

BEWARE...

gswearengin

Reaction score
That said a Plexi amp is very unforgiving and it will expose your mistakes and weaknesses!
I donā€™t need a Marshall for thatā€¦my guitars have the same effect unplugged. :)

Iā€™m fairly confident that I can pretty much get what Iā€™m after with the SV20, just wondering if the VM might be a better fit, and/or give up the goods at a lower volume. Especially having a little fuller low end (bigger ironā€¦).

Iā€™m actually here for the (dirty) cleans. Most of the time all I need is slight breakup to crunch. I might occasionally go for DLR-era Van Halen or AfD-era Slash tones, but itā€™s really just for amusement and I quickly tire of hearing myself try to play like that. Hendrix is the starting point, Iā€™m opening up to ā€˜70s classic rock like Zep, but ā€˜80s metal is not my thing.

Thanks yā€™all,

Gary

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally thought to update the thread title. :) Thanks, y'all...keep 'em comin'!
Well I've owned all 3 amps you're talking about at the same time. I had a 2061x with the 2061cx cab, before the Studio amps came out. The SV20 came out I got one and the 2061x bit the dust, simple as that. I liked the 2061x, but it didn't have "that" sound.
I also have a 2266 VM combo and 2466 along with the 425 A&B 4 x 12's. These are different. Based on the JTM 45 circuit, with modern MV and two dynamic ranges. Low gives you classic JTM45 tones and High a hot rodded extra gain stage sound. Both very good options.
I still have my 2061cx cab, but my most commonly used set up is either the VM combo on it own or the SV20H plonked on top of it using the VM's speakers. At gigs one or the other with the other amp as back up is all I'll ever need to scratch all my Marshall itches.

gswearengin

Reaction score
I still have my 2061cx cab, but my most commonly used set up is either the VM combo on it own or the SV20H plonked on top of it using the VM's speakers. [This] is all I'll ever need to scratch all my Marshall itches.
Oh dear, this is a dangerous idea. :) The cost of the VM combo is comparable to the SV212 cab.

@Georgiatec Iā€™ve seen your posts in other threads, thank you.

Since you have both, can I ask your thoughts on overall volume while still clean/edge of breakup, and the bass response between the two (2266 in LDR mode with the master at least up high enough that it sounds full, if not all the way up)? Do you prefer one over the other for cleans/dirty cleans?

Thanks!

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh dear, this is a dangerous idea. :) The cost of the VM combo is comparable to the SV212 cab.

@Georgiatec Iā€™ve seen your posts in other threads, thank you.

Since you have both, can I ask your thoughts on overall volume while still clean/edge of breakup, and the bass response between the two (2266 in LDR mode with the master at least up high enough that it sounds full, if not all the way up)? Do you prefer one over the other for cleans/dirty cleans?

Thanks!
I like a tone with plenty of bite, so I don't really look for a good bass response from an amp. I can dial both amps in just how I like them. There is good definition from the available lower frequencies, but there is a guy with only 4 strings on his guitar in the mix that takes care of the really low frequencies.
The VM in LDR maintains a good clean tone at higher volume levels ( I set it to full volume and use the body and detail controls to get the required amount of break up just right). That leaves me to fine tune from the guitar. I have the guitar volume on 7-8 (Les Paul), drop it back a little for cleaner, or up to max for crunch. The SV20 runs pretty much flat out, jumpered bottom left to top right. Vol 1 on 9, Vol 2 on around 6 (reverse this for single coils). Clean tones are done the traditional way i.e. from the guitar controls. No one I know sets a Plexi clean for clean tones. They set it for the most over driven tone possible, then clean it up from the guitar. The exception would be if using it as a pedal platform, but those Hendrix clean tones we all love are a cranked amp with the guitar volume way down.
As for preferences, I love them both and I'm happy to play either. Some venues the VM sounds better, others, the SV20 gets the nod. By using the combo's speakers for both it's amazing how important they are to my tone, regardless of the amp used.
By the way I don't have the G12C's in my 2266c I've got a pair of 55htz G12H-30 Greenbacks in there. I love the G12C's in the 4 x 12's, but I'm not so keen in the combo.

Last edited:

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I know this has been discussed a lot, and I feel like I've read most of it (and watched most of the videos) by now. But, I like to think my situation may be a little different than most...

I've always been more of a Fender/Vox guy, but I'm ready to get my first Marshall. I am much more interested in classic Marshall "dirty cleans" than higher gain stuff (although I do enjoy that from time to time). My Marshall icon is Jimi Hendrix, although a lot of my heroes have used them. I come more from the Johnny Marr/Peter Buck school in general, and tend to prefer Fender-style guitars over Gibsons (although I do have and use both).I am a basement warrior...no band, no gigs, so I know either of these is overkill. I can play loud sometimes and do have a couple of attenuation options. So in my case, the quieter the better...

I had pretty much made up my mind to go with an SV20H with a 2061cx (potentially with a Heritage G12M and G12H-55, both of which I already have), but a 2061x has turned up not too far away from me at a very good price and I am sorely tempted. I love that it is hand wired (I am bummed that even the pots and the tube sockets are PCB-mounted on the SV20), but I'm worried about the limited controls, I would prefer EL34's over EL84's, and I'm concerned about volume with either model.

Is the 2061x more like a JTM than a 1959? Does it do the dirty cleans thing as well as or better than the SV20H? Can it Jimi (I can't really, but that's another story...)? Which one is louder, and do either of them have an inside voice at all? :)

My other amps are a Fender Princeton Reverb reissue (hopefully soon to be replaced by hand wired Deluxe Reverb kit that I need to get around to building), a hand wired Vox AC15 with a blue, a tweed deluxe that I built, and a Laney Lionheart L5T-112, which will likely be sold once I've got a real Marshall that I'm happy with. Obviously I am looking to improve on the Laney as far as authenticity and expand my tonal horizons...

I would certainly appreciate any thoughts on whether I should check out this deal or sit on my hands and hold out for the SV20.

Thanks!

Gary
Stay away from the Vintage Modern. I had one and it really doesn't sound like a Marshall, it doesn't have a distinguishable sound at all, very dull with history's worst reverb. Go with the studio or maybe a JTM 45, 50 or 45/100, maybe a nice 2204 clone.

67mike

Reaction score
Stay away from the Vintage Modern. I had one and it really doesn't sound like a Marshall, it doesn't have a distinguishable sound at all, very dull with history's worst reverb. Go with the studio or maybe a JTM 45, 50 or 45/100, maybe a nice 2204 clone.
User Error???? You have to dial them in, not a everything at noon amp at all.

If you figure out how to use them, Vintage Modern is an ICONIC amp.

Last edited:

JohnH

Reaction score
I read @Georgiatec 's post above on how to set the VM. I've usually set it at 6, but today a maxed the MV to 10 and dialed back the detail and body. This could be my new favourite setting! (thanks!) because it makes the most of the poweramp gain and avoids preamp fizz.
I like to switch from a clean-single-coil neck rythym to a driven bridge humbucker crunch. This setting really brought out the full tone of the amp, and I found great tones both with and without mid-boost, controlled from the guitar (LP studio). At max MV, the presence becomes fully effective too. I was attenuating at about -20 dB for loudish home use. I am still happy with the G12C's in the combo.

Latest posts