First Marshall for a Fender/Vox guy: SV20 vs Vintage Modern/2266

• Thread starter gswearengin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gswearengin

Reaction score
Well, I did it! Guy was very nice friendly, quite the talker. He is the original owner and used it in an educational context for about a year, it’s mostly sat idle since then.

Sound is cleaner and maybe a little brighter than expected. Volume is much more manageable in general, but the master is a godsend. I want to check the bias soon, and im sure I’ll be picking this amp apart over the next few days.

I can see the point of having both and am looking forward to comparing them, but I think the SV20H is probably going back. I’ve (mostly) enjoyed the short time we’ve had together. :) Feel really guilty about impulse ordering that SV112 now!

Cheers y’all,

Gary

gswearengin

Reaction score
Just checking in, because…because.

Very happy with the Vintage Modern so far. Absolutely beautiful clean tones, and nice drive, too. I’ve found convincing super clean Jimi tones through early Slash tones. Seems like I can generally keep the master up to at least half on LDR, if not even more. Less so on HDR, but it’s safe to say this amp gives up the goods at acceptable volume levels very well.

I’ve done some comparisons between the two…the SV20 sounds great through the VM cab. It definitely has its own thing going on, but the bottom line is that there is so much overlap between them that I really can’t justify having both at this point. The fact that the 2266c cost less than the first cabinet I ordered for the SV20 is just icing on the cake.

So, the SV20H and SV112 are going back, sadly. I ordered a couple extra pilot lamps (just in case the new ones are as short-lived as the originals) as well as a power switch that lights up, we’ll see if I end up using that.

I do want to check the bias, and will also soon do some preamp tube rolling. I’m very very curious about how a pair of heritage greenbacks would do in the VM, but that’s really just because I can never leave well enough alone.

The VM really feels like it’s going to be “my” Marshall and I think this journey is hopefully complete…for now, at least.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the help, support, and suggestions along the way! :)

Gary

JohnH

Reaction score
Thats great to hear! And I reckon you found a really good one in Berlin. Im sure you'll enjoy exploring the many tones inside it.

(BTW, when you are ready to explore the upper levels of pushed power-tube tones, and given that you like a project, remember our M2 attenuator. Although it works well with all amps, it was designed specifically for Your amp!)

Last edited:

ken361

Reaction score
Just checking in, because…because.

Very happy with the Vintage Modern so far. Absolutely beautiful clean tones, and nice drive, too. I’ve found convincing super clean Jimi tones through early Slash tones. Seems like I can generally keep the master up to at least half on LDR, if not even more. Less so on HDR, but it’s safe to say this amp gives up the goods at acceptable volume levels very well.

I’ve done some comparisons between the two…the SV20 sounds great through the VM cab. It definitely has its own thing going on, but the bottom line is that there is so much overlap between them that I really can’t justify having both at this point. The fact that the 2266c cost less than the first cabinet I ordered for the SV20 is just icing on the cake.

So, the SV20H and SV112 are going back, sadly. I ordered a couple extra pilot lamps (just in case the new ones are as short-lived as the originals) as well as a power switch that lights up, we’ll see if I end up using that.

I do want to check the bias, and will also soon do some preamp tube rolling. I’m very very curious about how a pair of heritage greenbacks would do in the VM, but that’s really just because I can never leave well enough alone.

The VM really feels like it’s going to be “my” Marshall and I think this journey is hopefully complete…for now, at least.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the help, support, and suggestions along the way! :)

Gary
Greenbacks are recommended

gswearengin

Reaction score
Tried to set the bias today. As per usual in the world of old amps and solutions looking for problems, all is not as it seems…

One of the KT66’s has clearly separated from the base and is wiggling around pretty freely. I’ve heard of this happening, and hope it doesn’t become a recurring issue. The two bias points show vastly different readings, with the good tube at 30 and the other more like 50.

Put the amp back together and decided to call it a day. Not sure if I should use it at all at this point, but I may still try a couple things (a few more comparisons with the SV20 before I pack it up and send it back).

The amp does hum and hiss pretty loudly. Not a huge deal, or so I thought at least. Maybe it needs a cap job, but I wanted to try some preamp swapping first, and now I also want to swap the power tubes. So it goes…

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
The other day I opened up my 2006 2466 for the first time since I got it a few years ago. I never checked bias, etc. I was surprised to see the bias was spot on. However, it mostly had the original preamp tubes. I swapped V1 & V2 with some old RCA tubes (I also would consider the Tung-Sol RI 12AX7's) and the others as well. What a difference!!! I can't stop playing it now!! All of my 2x12 cabs have V30's and two have the Marshall V30's. Just doing that transformed the amp for me. It is so freakin' awesome!!!!

67mike

Reaction score
Tried to set the bias today. As per usual in the world of old amps and solutions looking for problems, all is not as it seems…

One of the KT66’s has clearly separated from the base and is wiggling around pretty freely. I’ve heard of this happening, and hope it doesn’t become a recurring issue. The two bias points show vastly different readings, with the good tube at 30 and the other more like 50.

Put the amp back together and decided to call it a day. Not sure if I should use it at all at this point, but I may still try a couple things (a few more comparisons with the SV20 before I pack it up and send it back).

The amp does hum and hiss pretty loudly. Not a huge deal, or so I thought at least. Maybe it needs a cap job, but I wanted to try some preamp swapping first, and now I also want to swap the power tubes. So it goes…
I would definitely get a new kt66 in there Pronto.

gswearengin

Reaction score
I’m on the mofo!

I got a smokin’ deal on some “new and unused” TAD KT66-STR’s. Not sure I believe that, but at about half price I couldn’t resist. Hope I don’t regret it. :)

I just ordered some stuff from Tube Amp Doctor yesterday! Had I known this was coming, I would have added some KT-66’s to it. Oh well…

Fingers crossed that the amp gets quieter and sounds even better after!

ken361

Reaction score
Mine had the original KTs in not sure if they were switched when sold one of the base was loose. I put a new pair of GT I got a deal on and biased it with A probe . A good matched pair.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Still driving myself crazy! :D

I found this, which is about as classic Hendrix sounding (and often playing) as it gets.

Certainly speaks in favor of the SV20 (and being able to play like a mofo…does not apply here, unfortunately).

I also found this:

Which is basically a Design Store version of the SV112 cabinet with the 1974x grill cloth for a 10€ up charge. The SV212 is gone now, so this is super appealing. Better match than the 1974cx cab and I get to use the speaker I already have.

I do wish I could find a VM locally first, just so I know. But I’m definitely feeling like I can be very happy with the SV20…

Sounds exactly like my mate Glyn playing mine through the 425 A&B cabs. 😍

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrats. :thumbs:

Glad you seem to be sorted amp wise. It looks as clean as a joke on Blue Peter. As you said there is quite a lot of overlap with the two amps. This is why I tend to use one or the other through the VM's speakers, with the other as back-up. Not such an issue if you're not gigging though.

gswearengin

Reaction score
Boo. Good luck/bad luck. I stumbled across this thread while searching for something a lot more general:

Aaaaaaaand…

IMG_5941.jpeg

Sheeit. I haven’t measured it yet, but I’m assuming it’s toast.

Looking at it now, the KT66 was a little loose but it’s not too bad. It was just a coincidence and a false flag. Anyway, now I have extra power tubes, just have to get it back up and running first.

I’m feeling pretty bummed and a little discouraged. Just bad luck, and hopefully not a huge setback.

It’s just a little resistor, right…do I dare do this myself???

Grumble grumble…

Gary

gswearengin

Reaction score
Well, the SV20H is finally gone. A little sad, but the right decision for me, I think.

I fired up the Vintage Modern for some final comparisons. I think the biggest difference for what is m trying to do is in the speakers. The G12C’s are great, but I just love those heritage greenbacks. Once I’ve got the VM back up and running, I will probably think about replacing the speakers one at a time…

Taking this to the Workbench to see if I can learn anything before going into surgery when the .20€ + 6€ shipping resistors I ordered n earnest last night arrive. :)

Thanks,

Gary