First Marshall for a Fender/Vox guy: SV20 vs Vintage Modern/2266

• Thread starter gswearengin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gswearengin

Reaction score
SV can be more dirtier, the hrdx master up does it but loud! i playing my strat with the SV sounded really good today:) Some days i like more sometimes little under whelmed must be the electros ;)
Shit…I meant Vintage Modern! 🤦‍♂️ Sorry, I was in a hurry.

So…uhhh…how’s the vintage modern for wind cries Mary tones? :)

JohnH

Reaction score
I also like LDR best. It gives me the range I want from clean to mild crunch, with a pedal in front to go more if I want

Seems like you need a VM, at least to try it? If its not the One you can hopefully sell it for what you paid if you are careful, since you'd be buying used and selling used. (but Id be sad if you used it for parts, as a fine but discontinued model, they are a limited resource in nature!)

ken361

Reaction score
I recommend a tube bias socket plug it in and play it loud if you want:) final adjust it. 48mv 50 watter

gswearengin

Reaction score
Thanks, @ken361 ! More gain than I was expecting from LDR…sounds good! I will rarely need more than that. Good to have the option, though. (OCD pet peeve: man I hate blue LED’s!)

It does seem like I need to check out a VM. Finding one locally in time is looking unlikely. But, if I can make my peace with @Georgiatec ‘s idea of using the VM cab with the SV20, it’s a wash.

Then I either have ultimate flexibility with both amps or, hopefully, I can just send the SV back, do my best to be happy with the VM, save a bunch of money and call it a day. Very appealing. (Potentially leaves room in the budget to upgrade my AC15 HW to an AC30HW, which I also really want but definitely don’t need.)

I’ve set the bias on Fenders using a multimeter, and I think I’ve found the relevant info for doing the same with the VM.

Thanks!

Gary

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @ken361 ! More gain than I was expecting from LDR…sounds good! I will rarely need more than that. Good to have the option, though. (OCD pet peeve: man I hate blue LED’s!)

It does seem like I need to check out a VM. Finding one locally in time is looking unlikely. But, if I can make my peace with @Georgiatec ‘s idea of using the VM cab with the SV20, it’s a wash.

Then I either have ultimate flexibility with both amps or, hopefully, I can just send the SV back, do my best to be happy with the VM, save a bunch of money and call it a day. Very appealing. (Potentially leaves room in the budget to upgrade my AC15 HW to an AC30HW, which I also really want but definitely don’t need.)

I’ve set the bias on Fenders using a multimeter, and I think I’ve found the relevant info for doing the same with the VM.

Thanks!

Gary
Gary, if I was in your position I would return the SV212 cab (if you haven't already), pick up a VM combo when you can, then keep both the SV20 and the 2266c. They are different enough to justify this and the price of a used 2266c should be around the same as a new 212 cab, So you are buying a 212 cab with a free amp on top.

gswearengin

Reaction score
You’re probably right, and that’s what I’m most likely to do. I want to play with the SV20 some more today before making an offer on the 2266c. I keep hoping/fearing it will be gone. Dude might not ship it anyway…

I ran the SV20 through my heritage G12M again yesterday (in my future deluxe cabinet, so Fender-style, open back). Man, I just love that speaker…it really seems to do “the thing.” I also finally watched this video through my studio speakers and not just my headphones:

I think I prefer the tone and overall softness of the heritage over the G12C, and love the fact that it’s pretty quiet at 96dB.

Anyway, that’s more of an issue for the SV20. The SV212 is definitely going back and I’ve decided, again, that I would rather have the 2061cx for the extra volume and the fact that the speakers are offset, so it might be a little less beamy.

So, first decision is whether I’m sure I want to try something other than the SV20, which I think I probably do, and then try to acquire a 2266c. At that point I’m committed. :)

Thanks so much to everyone for putting up with my indecision and continuing to offer suggestions and support!

Gary

gswearengin

Reaction score
So, these settings definitely had some WOW moments today:

IMG_5786.jpeg

20 watts into my open back 1x12 with heritage G12M. Sounded incredible, but required JUDICIOUS use of the guitar’s volume and tone controls. I’m deaf, my neighbors are deaf, I’m in jail, but it did sound really good.

So, should I try a Vintage Modern? I’m expecting a somewhat softer feel, less painfully bright, and more manageable volume thanks to the master. Would it deliver? I’m definitely willing to sacrifice overdriven tones somewhat for better cleans…

(Or, would the SV20 with KT66’s and smaller bright cap into a 2061cx loaded with a pair of Heritage G12M’s deliver the same thing???)

Thanks y’all,

Gary

P.S. definitely did not dig the SV212/V-types anywhere near as much when I switched over!

gswearengin

Reaction score
Well, the 2266c I’ve had my eye on appears to have sold before I made an offer. I can’t decide if I’m gutted or relieved…

I will continue to be on the lookout, but I’m also a little tempted to order an SV112 and some KT66’s. I was really hoping for a closed back cabinet, but I already have the speaker for it and just one speaker could keep the overall volume level down.

Obviously I need to think about this some more and consider my options. I will definitely keep an eye out for another 2266c or 2061cx, ideally locally…

Thanks,

Gary

ken361

Reaction score
Well, the 2266c I’ve had my eye on appears to have sold before I made an offer. I can’t decide if I’m gutted or relieved…

I will continue to be on the lookout, but I’m also a little tempted to order an SV112 and some KT66’s. I was really hoping for a closed back cabinet, but I already have the speaker for it and just one speaker could keep the overall volume level down.

Obviously I need to think about this some more and consider my options. I will definitely keep an eye out for another 2266c or 2061cx, ideally locally…

Thanks,

Gary
Check Reverb for one

Tiboy

Reaction score
I don’t know if I already posted, but I have both amps with respective cabs. The VM is by far my preferred amp. Prior to getting the SV 212 cab I played the SV20 through the 425A 412 VM cab. I did not care for the results I was hearing.

gswearengin

Reaction score
Thanks y’all. I’m all over the place (obviously), but leaning towards the Vintage Modern. Just have to watch and wait…should have pounced earlier. :)

@Tiboy can you remember what it was you weren’t liking about the SV20 into the VM cab?

I’m hoping that when/if I track down a VM, I will be happy enough with it to send the SV20 back. If it takes too long I might have to make that decision in advance. Not that big of a deal, I guess.

There is a 2266c in Berlin, but that’s like 3 1/2 hours away…don’t really have time for that kind of day trip anymore, sadly. Plus, it’s black…I’d really like a purple one. :)

Thanks y’all,

Gary

Tiboy

Reaction score
Thanks y’all. I’m all over the place (obviously), but leaning towards the Vintage Modern. Just have to watch and wait…should have pounced earlier. :)

@Tiboy can you remember what it was you weren’t liking about the SV20 into the VM cab?

I’m hoping that when/if I track down a VM, I will be happy enough with it to send the SV20 back. If it takes too long I might have to make that decision in advance. Not that big of a deal, I guess.

There is a 2266c in Berlin, but that’s like 3 1/2 hours away…don’t really have time for that kind of day trip anymore, sadly. Plus, it’s black…I’d really like a purple one. :)

Thanks y’all,

Gary
Sorry I don’t recall the details. It was enough to cause me to buy the SV212 cab. I currently use a four amp switcher set up allowing me to use any of 3 amps with a tap on the pedal. The Suhr PT15 IR gets the bulk of my time, followed by the VM and then the SV. A Kemper can fill slot 4, but remains idle these days.

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpeg
    IMG_0388.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 10

ken361

Reaction score
Sorry I don’t recall the details. It was enough to cause me to buy the SV212 cab. I currently use a four amp switcher set up allowing me to use any of 3 amps with a tap on the pedal. The Suhr PT15 IR gets the bulk of my time, followed by the VM and then the SV. A Kemper can fill slot 4, but remains idle these days.
Hows the Suhr?

gswearengin

Reaction score
Hows the Suhr?
@Tiboy and, if I may, how do you use them? I’m mostly interested in the VM vs the SV, but it would seem like you have 3 great options with a lot of overlap between them. The Suhr sounds like a do-it-all Marshall-style amp already.

Thanks,

Gary

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if I already posted, but I have both amps with respective cabs. The VM is by far my preferred amp. Prior to getting the SV 212 cab I played the SV20 through the 425A 412 VM cab. I did not care for the results I was hearing.
Must have been your settings. A mate of mine, who is a fairly renowned Hendrix tribute player, had an afternoon jamming in my studio with me and a few other guys. We all agreed the SV20 through my 425 full stack was probably THE most authentic Hendrix tone we had ever heard.
Of course you may not have been chasing 'that" tone, but if you are, it's certainly there in spades.
I must add he was using his stage pedal board Vibe, Fuzz, Wah etc. which, of course, all contribute.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks y’all,

Gary
Black means it's newer one, like mine. I would do the road trip. Even here in the U.K. I would consider a 7 hr round trip acceptable. For our USA brothers that's a local amp.