• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Free Playing Mr. Big On Beat Club Using Orange Matamps

• Thread starter 1967owner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neikeel

Reaction score
You might say so:
46980-6e102ef61e2f145e7cbebe3b852665a9.jpg

1967owner

Reaction score
Sweet collection neikeel! Are you in the US or the UK? The reason I ask is I don't see Orange Matamps in the US frequently. They're fine sounding amps. Does your cab have the G12H30 speakers?

neikeel

Reaction score
I’m in the U.K. I actually have one of the ORSTs left to sell. They are interesting beasts as they have a wide range of tones and are capable of much more grind and dirt than my OR120s.
Yes both cabs have Greenback G12H30s

1967owner

Reaction score
I’m in the U.K. I actually have one of the ORSTs left to sell. They are interesting beasts as they have a wide range of tones and are capable of much more grind and dirt than my OR120s.
Yes both cabs have Greenback G12H30s
Was the ORS the link between the Orange Matamps and the OR line. I remember an ORS on eBay back when I was still collecting amps. That was the one that got away from me as I have Orange Matamps and OR amps. If I were younger and not past my amp collecting days I might want to talk to you about your ORS.

neikeel

Reaction score
The ORST was the first Orange/Matamp. It succeeded the Matamp 2000. The designs are quite similar with Boost, Drive and Depth switches, built on RS tag boards. The components on the Beat Club amp (serial no 49) and my own slightly earlier one (serial 28) all date to 1968. They both use Pennine transformers. The first 100w are OR100 and are on pcbs, the parts date to '69 and on, they use Partridge transformers. I've worked on a couple of 50 (or 70w depending on what you read) that are on the same pcb as the 100w amps but with similar switching to the earlier ORST and Partridge transformers. Later came the GRO series that lost the depth and drive switches and gained the FAC switch instead, the placement of the FAC changes with the different iterations of GRO and the first OR120s over the early 70s, not forgetting the varaint with the mid lift inductor similar to the Matamp GT120 etc.
Here is a Matamp 2000 (pic courtesy of John Chambers):
mat2c.jpg

Here is my clone (sorry need better pic):
pjHjQwh.jpg

1967owner

Reaction score
The ORST was the first Orange/Matamp. It succeeded the Matamp 2000. The designs are quite similar with Boost, Drive and Depth switches, built on RS tag boards. The components on the Beat Club amp (serial no 49) and my own slightly earlier one (serial 28) all date to 1968. They both use Pennine transformers. The first 100w are OR100 and are on pcbs, the parts date to '69 and on, they use Partridge transformers. I've worked on a couple of 50 (or 70w depending on what you read) that are on the same pcb as the 100w amps but with similar switching to the earlier ORST and Partridge transformers. Later came the GRO series that lost the depth and drive switches and gained the FAC switch instead, the placement of the FAC changes with the different iterations of GRO and the first OR120s over the early 70s, not forgetting the varaint with the mid lift inductor similar to the Matamp GT120 etc.
Here is a Matamp 2000 (pic courtesy of John Chambers):
mat2c.jpg

Here is my clone (sorry need better pic):
pjHjQwh.jpg
Appreciate that info. For some reason I thought there was an ORS model that after Cliff Cooper stopped selling the Orange Matamp line. It was quite a while ago that I thought there was an Orange amp on eBay advertised as an ORS100. It had the look of the pics only OR120s that Cliff Cooper sold. I could be misremembering though.

neikeel

Reaction score
Appreciate that info. For some reason I thought there was an ORS model that after Cliff Cooper stopped selling the Orange Matamp line. It was quite a while ago that I thought there was an Orange amp on eBay advertised as an ORS100. It had the look of the pics only OR120s that Cliff Cooper sold. I could be misremembering though.

you might be right. I am far from an expert on these, I can only really quote from my direct experience of servicing and repairing these (mainly OR100, ORST, pics only 120s and later 120s). I not had my hands on a GRO or any of the oddities. Orange/Matamp timelines are not very well documented due to the schism in the early 70s with parallel production for a while.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@neikeel since you’re obviously a fan, I’m interested to know what you have to say about what makes the old Orange and Matamps sound unique. The preamp? The concertina phase splitter? I’d love to have one someday...

1967owner

Reaction score
you might be right. I am far from an expert on these, I can only really quote from my direct experience of servicing and repairing these (mainly OR100, ORST, pics only 120s and later 120s). I not had my hands on a GRO or any of the oddities. Orange/Matamp timelines are not very well documented due to the schism in the early 70s with parallel production for a while.
I'd forgot about the GRO. IIRC they looked identical to the pics only OR amps but there was some kind of difference between the two. Do you know what it was?

neikeel

Reaction score
I like them because they stay clean when you want but when you want overdrive is is smooth and progressive, although you do need pedals to get them to sing/scream. They are very balanced and a bit like Hiwatts the EQ has lots of range. The Boost control acts like a distortion control on the ORSTs and early 100s. The Matamp GT100 is a beast and both OR120s have much more volume than anyone can use nowadays which is why the Sludge and Doom merchants like to chug away on these too.
With the switching of the early coupling caps there are lots of options too.

neikeel

Reaction score

Latest posts