• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Friedman Shootout: Dirty Shirley Mini Vs Smallbox (video)

Del Rei

Reaction score
Hey, guys.
icon_biggrin.gif

Just a quick test comparing Dirty Shirley Mini and Smallbox in low volume settings.

Recorded the original signal in a loop pedal (TC Electronic Ditto) and played in both amps with all EQ knobs at 12 o'clock.

Both Gain knobs at 7 (Mini Dirty Shirley gain structure switch in upper position).

Low volumes:
Mini Dirty Shirley Volume at 2
Smallbox Volume at 1,5

Gibson Les Paul
TC Electronic Ditto Looper
Rox Stage Isobox (based on Randall Isolation cabinet 12C)
Celestion Greenback 16 ohms
Shure SM57
AKG Perception P170 (condenser)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
Reaper (+ reverb)

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Hey, guys.
icon_biggrin.gif

Just a quick test comparing Dirty Shirley Mini and Smallbox in low volume settings.

Recorded the original signal in a loop pedal (TC Electronic Ditto) and played in both amps with all EQ knobs at 12 o'clock.

Both Gain knobs at 7 (Mini Dirty Shirley gain structure switch in upper position).

Low volumes:
Mini Dirty Shirley Volume at 2
Smallbox Volume at 1,5

Gibson Les Paul
TC Electronic Ditto Looper
Rox Stage Isobox (based on Randall Isolation cabinet 12C)
Celestion Greenback 16 ohms
Shure SM57
AKG Perception P170 (condenser)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
Reaper (+ reverb)

The amp does sound good, but take all the effects out and show how the amp sounds by itself.
That's the basis - does the amp sound good by itself?

Del Rei

Reaction score
The amp does sound good, but take all the effects out and show how the amp sounds by itself.
That's the basis - does the amp sound good by itself?

Hey, man! :)

What effects do you mean? Only reverb was added.

Del Rei

Reaction score
The looper is not an effect. I's a pedal you record something in it. I recorded the guitar signal in the pedal and played in both amps, so they could have the same exactly playing. Because if I had to play the same thing in both amps, maybe I could hit one harder than other.... Probably would not be the same playing.

The isobox is a big closed box with a speaker and 2 mics inside. It's a way to play or record without getting kicked out of my apartment.

Reaper is not an effect... The reverb was the only effect, to make it sound more natural.

mtsv

Reaction score
IMHO, @Del Rei has made a good setup for comparison, otherwise different playing, different cabs and different amp settings would give different results.

The only thing I can say is that it’s only a snapshot of a test ‘cause the video is pretty short.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Great vid. Perfect test bed.

Looper effect ...... lol killing me.

Isobox effect...... killing me

Reaper effect...... well at least the reaper gets you at the end......still killing me ;-)

Del Rei

Reaction score
IMHO, @Del Rei has made a good setup for comparison, otherwise different playing, different cabs and different amp settings would give different results.
The only thing I can say is that it’s only a snapshot of a test ‘cause the video is pretty short.

Great vid. Perfect test bed.
Looper effect ...... lol killing me.
Isobox effect...... killing me
Reaper effect...... well at least the reaper gets you at the end......still killing me ;-)

Thank you, guys. Good to know you like it.
Hope its helpful for those who are trying to decide. Soon I will do some more comparison.

Latest posts