Friedman vintage line getting close

• Thread starter Ufoscorpion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Dave Friedman has stated he’s currently working on two new amps to be released fairly soon . One sounding as close to his Jmi ac30 top boost as he can get it and another one based on his 68 jmp 50 . Both old nmv but sounds like they will have built in power scaling of some sort . Can’t wait , going to get both , lol .

wakjob

Reaction score
He talks about his AC30 all the time. Copper panel if I remember right.
This could get interesting. Dave's enthusiasm for those special examples of amps that stand out as a "good one" is insane. He'll do any repro justice for sure.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
He talks about his AC30 all the time. Copper panel if I remember right.
This could get interesting. Dave's enthusiasm for those special examples of amps that stand out as a "good one" is insane. He'll do any repro justice for sure.
Dave Friedman has a really good ear so should sound exactly like a great ac30 top boost . Amazingly something that no one else has really attempted .

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave Friedman has a really good ear so should sound exactly like a great ac30 top boost . Amazingly something that no one else has really attempted .
Yeah, I know there have been a lot of AC30 inspired amps over the years, but I don’t know that anyone ever attempted a clone. I imagine part of the problem is the huge amount of variation there has been in the AC30 circuit over the years. How do you choose which version to clone? I hope Friedman’s version has reverb and trem.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Yeah, I know there have been a lot of AC30 inspired amps over the years, but I don’t know that anyone ever attempted a clone. I imagine part of the problem is the huge amount of variation there has been in the AC30 circuit over the years. How do you choose which version to clone? I hope Friedman’s version has reverb and trem.
Well the jmi top boost ac30’s built from 62-68 are all pretty much the same , the original top boost circuit 62-65 was an added afterthought from 65 -68 it was incorporated into the amps circuit and faceplate . I don’t think the Friedman version will have tremolo for simplicity , cost etc and Dave Friedman doesn’t do built in reverb in his amps anyway . There were lots of variations post jmi some good some not so good but never as amazingly good as the jmi’s .

Len

Reaction score
Maybe I don’t know this correctly, but I thought many vintage amps relied on some power tube saturation, but Friedman amps are designed with very clean power stages?

alexmansman

Reaction score
Maybe I don’t know this correctly, but I thought many vintage amps relied on some power tube saturation, but Friedman amps are designed with very clean power stages?
Correct. But these will be non-master volume amps just like what they are clones of, most likely with really good power scaling. I believe he also mentioned a built in variac on the 68 clone

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Maybe I don’t know this correctly, but I thought many vintage amps relied on some power tube saturation, but Friedman amps are designed with very clean power stage .
The VOX AC30HW60 is a modern clone.
Yes , that was an exact clone in every way as only Vox would be allowed to do , and did you see the price . The Friedman will be a sonic clone with a slight tip of the hat cosmetically . Probably .

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Correct. But these will be non-master volume amps just like what they are clones of, most likely with really good power scaling. I believe he also mentioned a built in variac on the 68 clone
A 68 jmp50 clone of the amp Dave Friedman refers to as the holy grail of Marshall amps has certainly peaked my interest.

alexmansman

Reaction score
A 68 jmp50 clone of the amp Dave Friedman refers to as the holy grail of Marshall amps has certainly peaked my interest.
Mine too. I've been a Friedman admirer for a long time, but have only ever gotten to play a Runt 50, Dirty Shirley, and Smallbox 50. The Smallbox takes the cake, adds ice cream on top, and doesn't make you fat for eating it all, it's that good lol. Always been outta my price range, though. For this next release however may have to lay financial inhibitons aside and just splurge.

eigentone

Reaction score
Yes , that was an exact clone in every way as only Vox would be allowed to do , and did you see the price . The Friedman will be a sonic clone with a slight tip of the hat cosmetically . Probably .
Yeah, I saw the price. I bought it. It was handwired in the UK and it included the Vib/Trem channel, which is a big part of the circuit. It's not a simple build.

Any idea what Friedman's take will cost?

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the price. I bought it. It was handwired in the UK and it included the Vib/Trem channel, which is a big part of the circuit. It's not a simple build.

Any idea what Friedman's take will cost?
Well if it doesn’t have the vib/trem as I suspect it won’t and it’s not handwired then probably 1500 dollars and pounds , If handwired 2600 sort of mark .