Gibson les paul custom

• Thread starter wareagle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
well heres what id have to say, tryed 4 guitars today, gibson lp custom, gibson standard and 2 classics. my opinion, the 2 classics were easily inferior, i liked my guitar better, they were thinner sounding, i didnt really like them. the standard was the middle best much thicker sound darker, liked it a bunch, and the custom was the heaviest and easily the best. best tone overall feel everything. and it was 300 less then the standard!!! lol.

stax

VIP Member
Reaction score
The Classics have ceramic magnets and are very hot pickups. I have a 1992 Classic (before they started putting the piss yellow inlays on them) and it is my "Metal" guitar! lol!

Standards have "swiss cheese" weight relief (as does the Classic) and Burstbucker pickups, which are a great PAF type pickup. And the Customs are always heavy! Don't know why! It all depends on which Custom you looked at to know what pickups are in it and if it has weight relief, etc.

We want pics tomorrow!! Now go buy it!!

wareagle

Reaction score
hah... well first i need to think stillthe price they listed (2400) for it is a lot ik i could get 2200 or even 2100 easy b/c they mark the price up but im shooting for a more vintage one. and its not an immediate buy hopefully ill have it by may or june. i mean if someone has a white gibson les paul custom from like...ever lol in good condition for like around 2000 2200 im all over it, but if they have one from the 70s for that price and i try it and like it...id be like bark on a tree lol. i saw a custom on craigslist for 2000 and a tobacco for 1700 hopefully nothing wrong with them

which is my next question... how do i tell if a guitar is in good condish besides the paint chips and odvious flaws (broken stuff replaced stuff) like how do i tell if the neck is messed up, or if hes had to change or repair stuff and isnt telling me, or like if the frets arnt down properlly and stuff, like whats some good questions to ask and stuff to look for and such.

stax

VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to spot trouble, but some take time to learn. I will say that if the neck at the headstock is finished in black (on a guitar that isn't black or have a burst on the neck) then it probably has a repair! And make sure there is some meat left on the frets, also on a refretted LP the nibs will be missing from the binding at the fret ends.

Many more things to look for, but this is a start. Good luck.:fingersx:

psphill27

Reaction score
The Classics have ceramic magnets and are very hot pickups. I have a 1992 Classic (before they started putting the piss yellow inlays on them) and it is my "Metal" guitar! lol!

Standards have "swiss cheese" weight relief (as does the Classic) and Burstbucker pickups, which are a great PAF type pickup. And the Customs are always heavy! Don't know why! It all depends on which Custom you looked at to know what pickups are in it and if it has weight relief, etc.

We want pics tomorrow!! Now go buy it!!

Agree....I have a 2000 classic and it is a pretty hot guitar. But for some reason I can get all kinds of great tones out of it. I have found that I can run here wide open for harder stuff, or kick the volume knob back to 6 or 7 for more of my bluesy/southern rock stuff. While the open coil ceramics are a little hotter, it still has a really nice sound.

stax

VIP Member
Reaction score
the nibs? you mean the cream colored things on the end? thnxx.

Yes, a nib is the binding that covers the fret ends, it should be smooth and seem like part of the fret. If the nibs are gone, that is always a sure sign of a refret. There are very skilled luthiers that can do a refret without removing the nibs, but they are far and few between!

As for the ceramics in the Classics, they are very expressive pickups for being as hot as they are. I love them, they are like a hot rodded PAF type pickup.

When the LP Classic came out it was to compete with the "pointy guitar" market that ruled the roost at the time. The LP was loosing sales to the Jacksons, Kramers, etc. so they came out with a guitar that was like a familar guitar but with hot pickups and a new slim tapered neck (reads: a shredder neck) that had not been offered before. Turns out that the guitar had more of the original appointments than the 59 reissue of the time, so they had to make changes to the Classic after 93.

Last edited:

ptate

Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to spot trouble, but some take time to learn. I will say that if the neck at the headstock is finished in black (on a guitar that isn't black or have a burst on the neck) then it probably has a repair! And make sure there is some meat left on the frets, also on a refretted LP the nibs will be missing from the binding at the fret ends.

Many more things to look for, but this is a start. Good luck.:fingersx:

Excellent advice. :dude:

In addition, look for changed pups (may need extra routing- unless you want them!), changed tuners (some are irreversible without a lot of work- I've had to repair them..!), refinishes; high action will hide bad frets as will a well-bowed neck (with the truss rod- just hold the string down at first and 12th fret to see what the adjustment is like- check around the seventh).

Look for "filled" bodges around the heel/head area and any extra switches/fittings as well.

Last tips- for the fakes.........Make sure the truss rod cover has ONLY two screws in it. Most of the cheaper fakes will have a 3 screw cover..... Check the Gibson logo is correct for the year (is it mean to be screen printed or inlaid mother of pearl- which can vary depending on the year !!!) and (if you need to) take out the neck pup to see if the body is really a lump of Maple over Mahogany and the neck/tenon is correct (remember it can be Maple on some Norlins).

That's a brief check that should get you the correct axe.

:headbanger::rock:

601 Blues

Reaction score
ronsbabby012.jpg

ronsbabby013.jpg

wareagle

Reaction score
ooooo...YUMMY...guitar is nice also... lol

you wana sell that thing? thats IS what im looking for...2 pups are good though...i dont need 3. but still...awsome!

601 Blues

Reaction score
Nope did not glue pickguard its screwed, Iam not sure of the year I bought it used in 74 I think.
LP custom is a 72, The center pick up is what makes it, The center position on the switch gives ya the center and neck pickup, and it has a awesome tone, No None are for sale

wareagle

Reaction score
awwwwwwww. but yeh thats the guitar i want, and its even vintage!!! lol which do u like better?

601 Blues

Reaction score
Not Braggin at all, But I have approx 35 guitars, 7 are Gibsons, Only 1 LP Ive had over the years about 10 LP's and have traded or sold em, Ive only Kept my custom, Ive not found another LP that has the tones or the action of of this one and probley never will, Its truly one of a kind, you would not belive the money Ive been offered for it after they played it, One night I thought I was gonna have to shoot a guy over it!! NO JOKE!!
So if I could only have 1 guitar the LP is the one I would keep without thinkin bout it

Latest posts