Gibson price rant

• Thread starter bill0287
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chocol8

Reaction score
Or better yet, rethink why you want one. If you want a guitar that is gold colored and says Gibson on the headstock to hang on the wall and look at, by all means, get one, but make sure you inspect it carefully before buying. Never buy a Gibson, new or used, without seeing it in person and giving it a thorough inspection and play through. Way too many bad apples in the non-custom shop lines.

OTOH, if you want a great sounding and playing guitar, you can get a better guitar for less money if it doesn't have to say Gibson on the headstock. Or spend the same money on a great guitar.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
The vast majority of Gibson stuff I own is used. The last SG I bought was a late '90's version that was $600. It's a good one. Another option is to buy a husk on eBay if you like to mod stuff and make it yours.

This is how I bought my 2nd SG. After buying everything for it and setting it up along with a case, I might have $1k in it.

My most expensive guitar is actually a j45 acoustic. It's a joy to play and like most any Gibson, it will hold or gain in value. I played the Epiphone version and it sounded like a toy in comparison.

For the record, not hating on Epiphone in anyway. I own at least 3 of them...

I don't own any super expensive custom shop ones. Those are simply at the price point of "I just can't see it" kind of money.

I want one of those '70's or '80's Flying V's.....
but $2500 is a bit much in my opinion.

So yes some of Gibson's stuff to me is higher than it should be. But realistically, how is that any different from what a core PRS cost?

If you want real sticker shock, look at some of those USA Fender guitars. There are some of those on Sweetwater that average $5200+. That price seems really expensive for what is essentially a partscaster.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any makers in the USA that make cheap guitars.

I will always say buy used if possible. Although, sometimes you might be better off to buy new.

The Epiphone Elite (Japan) guitars were so damn good that they literally quit making them. The serial number on these will start with a F for "Fuji-gen".

10kDA

Reaction score
The most I've ever spent on an instrument was on my sitar which I bought new. Most of my guitars were either bought used, or customer returns, or scratch 'n' dent unsold demos. I bought my Epi T-Bird Pro bass and my Gitane GJ-15 gypsy jazz acoustic new, each was under $500 then, but not any more! It's become less important that the guitars I buy are new - for the most part. That being said, I'd rather buy amps new because there is less chance somebody has dicked around with the internals.

Money's getting cheaper - time old story, you can count on it.

jamvu

Reaction score
Yes, I know this has been done to death, but I just can't... I have been jonesin' for a Gold top LP for a while now (I should have bought one years ago), but every time I look at the 3K price tag I can't help but feel I am being taken advantage of. One of the reasons LPS are pricey is supposed to be the highly figured maple top, right?... which on a Gold top, is covered by paint, so why is the GT not cheaper than the other LPs, since the maple top is less of a selling point?

And what's with LP customs being in the 5, 6, 7+ thousand dollar range? I mean, WTF? Who's buying these besides rock stars and rich nobodies?

I could get 4 Epi LP standards for the price of one Gibson? Seriously, what is going on with Gibson?

I'm sorry. I just had to vent.
Try finding a 2005 or older LP Standard under $2500....ain't happenin' unless it is beat or has damage.

I bought my LP Standards, thankfully, a few years apart in 2001-5. And to top it all off, I indulged on the Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom Shop. Sure, that baby cost me 5K plus another 1K in interest, lol, but it was worth it.

I will wait until the prices come down...soon I hope, before I get another one.

Best,

Jamvu

leofender55

Reaction score
I've wanted another goldtop since I sold mine off many years ago. I finally found a great one for a nice price. It was a 2012 Traditional Pro, in a great soft gold color with some greening. The original owner had done the mods I wanted: Duncan Antiquity pickups, 50's wiring, 500k pots (no split coils), orange drops, and I replaced the locking tuners with Grovers. I got it for $2K and it's a serious keeper.

Slogfest

Reaction score
You're right! I wish I could go back to 1980 and buy a LP Standard when they were $849.00. Oh wait, that would be $3,122.17 with the value of the U.S. dollar this year. Hmmm, seems they're actually ever so slightly cheaper than they used to be. It's economics, please stop complaining about nothing. If you won't pay $3k today, you wouldn't have spent $850 then.

stevoc

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread from Gibson, but I have heartburn in the same way about Jackson prices. I paid $1500 for my first DK1 in 2001, then just under $2k for my 2nd a few months later, and that one I had special painted with the copper snakeskin finish. Now, plain white and black DK1s go for $3500. Used ones of different finishes go between $2500-4k. Nuts!

WesChilton

Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe how much goldtop prices have gone up! I had to go look it up. I bought my LP standard 50s goldtop in 2020 for $1,975!

I also saw that the price for my 2019 SG Special has gone from $1,199 (I paid $999 OTD) to $1,599!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
land-lord-you-pay-now.gif

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread from Gibson, but I have heartburn in the same way about Jackson prices. I paid $1500 for my first DK1 in 2001, then just under $2k for my 2nd a few months later, and that one I had special painted with the copper snakeskin finish. Now, plain white and black DK1s go for $3500. Used ones of different finishes go between $2500-4k. Nuts!
Has been over 20 years since...

thesunship

Reaction score
This is why I bought an Epiphone sg with p-90s. It's a really nice guitar. I figure they will double in 5 years as well.

donwagar

Reaction score
I have 5 Gibsons. But I only bought one of them new, my SG Tribute. Because I thought it was a great guitar for the money.

Depending on how much money you have, other commitments and responsibilites, etc. they have always been expensive.

To me they are worth it. To someone else, no they aren't.

Trem man

Reaction score
I bought my 2004 Custom Shop R7 used about 15 yrs ago for 1850.00 on eBay. There were 3 of them listed for sale that day including a Dickie Betts model, all under 2K. Prices have gone up for sure since then. Mine's a good guitar but my 2022 Heritage Custom Core H-150 sunburst is a great guitar and I got it for 3400.00 new. If I had to pay that or more for a used R7 vs the new Heritage I'd go with the Heritage.

dna9656

Reaction score
Yes, I know this has been done to death, but I just can't... I have been jonesin' for a Gold top LP for a while now (I should have bought one years ago), but every time I look at the 3K price tag I can't help but feel I am being taken advantage of. One of the reasons LPS are pricey is supposed to be the highly figured maple top, right?... which on a Gold top, is covered by paint, so why is the GT not cheaper than the other LPs, since the maple top is less of a selling point?

And what's with LP customs being in the 5, 6, 7+ thousand dollar range? I mean, WTF? Who's buying these besides rock stars and rich nobodies?

I could get 4 Epi LP standards for the price of one Gibson? Seriously, what is going on with Gibson?

I can't see the money for the Gibson name, I buy Epiphone, I have a Heritage Bird's eye maple top sunburst, it's screamingist guitar I ever touched, The Epi Firebird I got is equal in it's screamin' ability. I got another Epi Les Paul 2 that is pretty low in volume but it plays nice, It had a acoustic pick up in the nect right about the last fret. You can blend the sound, it's also stereo. I have an Explorer too it plays nicely too.

BlackLabel

Reaction score
Always buy used. New Gibsons are like new cars - they depreciate the second they leave the store. The only difference being that there’s no real value to getting a guitar that no one’s ever played before (unlike buying a new car, which is very nice.)

Reverb is hit or miss, usually more hits than misses tho. eBay is a crapshoot. Buying off of Craigslist or forums is usually the best bet.

Reaction score

#BidensAmerica

Reaction score

I hear ya, look what they want for a junior DC with a single P 90, and no cap. $3,999