Gimme reasons to get a Les Paul Standard Gold Top

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Deluxes are great .......cuz you can pull them minis out & slap some p90s in there , and you'll be good to go

I wanted one of the new 70s Deluxe, until I found out they don't have a maple neck and I lost interest. Why the hell didn't they make the new ones like the old ones with a maple neck?! How can I get Mike Ness tones without a maple neck?!! :run: :lol:

Last edited:

Mike_LA

Reaction score
aghjzyg5jc1cbqux7y54.jpg

Gold top, Yes . . . . . Les Paul, No . . . . .

Ha!

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted one of the new 70s Deluxe, until I found out they don't have a maple neck and I lost interest. Why the hell didn't they make the new ones like the old ones with a maple neck?! How can I get Mike Ness tones without a maple neck?!! :run: :lol:

Actually the EARLY Deluxes were mahogany necks.........like a REAL Les Paul :lol:
That ^ '71 had a mahogany ,as well as this here '73 .

Not sure when they started with the maple .
I had a '76 that was a maple neck . I prefer the mahog

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Actually the EARLY Deluxes were mahogany necks.........like a REAL Les Paul :lol:
That ^ '71 had a mahogany ,as well as this here '73 .

Not sure when they started with the maple .
I had a '76 that was a maple neck . I prefer the mahog
I believe that my ‘72 Deluxe’s neck was also Mahogany. If the neck wasn’t so thin, I’d still own that guitar.

IMG_1282.jpegIMG_1045.jpeg

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that my ‘72 Deluxe’s neck was also Mahogany. If the neck wasn’t so thin, I’d still own that guitar.

View attachment 152247View attachment 152249

Yeah, Im not fond of the neck profile from that era
I got a 2001 Deluxe with a "50s" neck , It's grrrrreat !

@DirtySteve ,hey ....maybe the real meat of the Mike Ness sound is that Duncan SP 90 2B .....I think that's what he uses . Ceramic p90 ,about 11k . I had one once in a Firebird . I have no clue where it is now (the pickup , not the guitar)

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Im not fond of the neck profile from that era
I got a 2001 Deluxe with a "50s" neck , It's grrrrreat !

@DirtySteve ,hey ....maybe the real meat of the Mike Ness sound is that Duncan SP 90 2B .....I think that's what he uses . Ceramic p90 ,about 11k . I had one once in a Firebird . I have no clue where it is now (the pickup , not the guitar)
I was just joking about the neck being part of the sound. I have one of those P90s, I liked the Duncan Custom P90 a little better, but now I'm into lower output pickups. I'm not really chasing Mike's tone. I believe Mike's GT deluxe with the maple neck is a '76.

gtpvfr

Reaction score
I always wanted a gold top, but I do already have 4 Les Pauls, including a gold top 50's Tribute. But this is a 50's Standard model, and the dark fretboard, back and sides, look really nice.

I've got a bunch of gear I just wanna get rid of w/o going Ebay, etc. If I just trade it all in (willing to take the loss for the convenience), I can get the cash balance down to under a grand, and I'll be rid of gear I don't use.

I don't want suggestions about money and deals, I just want reasons why I need a 2024 Les Paul 50's Standard Gold Top.

View attachment 151943

View attachment 151944
There are seven days in a week so you are a paltry three LPs shy now, but will only have to play two twice if you get this one.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a goldie but I think its not a bad deal . I bought a black 2001 for 1500 around '09
Rip them minis out ....throw some p90s in there ,and rule the roost

NumbSkull

Reaction score
It also appears that you have a Yamaha AES there. I have a 720 and it's a pretty decent guitar...
Yes its this one,
Very good guitar, really smooth to play, neck is wonderful and JB in the bridge.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a goldie but I think its not a bad deal . I bought a black 2001 for 1500 around '09
Rip them minis out ....throw some p90s in there ,and rule the roost

One of these days I'm going to buy a deluxe just so I can rip out the minis and put some p90s in it. If the Traditional I just bought has a better neck than my 60s Standard with the scrawny neck (which is why I bought it) then I'm going to sell (or trade) my Standard and look for a Deluxe.