• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Good Finds On The Cheap.

• Thread starter ricksconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BowerR64

Reaction score
On the 5th i bought a 425A vintage modern cab that came stock with Marshall greenbacks in it.

The guy sends me a text today asking me where i got the cash to buy his cabinet. All $350. i withdrew from the ATM he then tells me his wife deposits the cash and keeps $20. and tried to use the $20. but they wouldnt take it because it was counterfit.

So now any high dollar item i buy im gonna withdraw fresh cash from the ATM so i have a record of the cash transaction and the bills #s on record.

This was one of the few deals ive done where the guy brought the cab to me which i thought was cool, but now i wonder if this is all part of a scam.

I will say this i have been taking cash for granted that its real not really giving it a good inspection or feeling it well. I may have to buy a bill marker from now on.

These people are going to ruin CL deals now.

cichlid

Reaction score
The guy sends me a text today asking me where i got the cash to buy his cabinet. All $350. i withdrew from the ATM he then tells me his wife deposits the cash and keeps $20. and tried to use the $20. but they wouldnt take it because it was counterfit.

It's an old Craigslist scam.

Cut off all contact with the scammer.

If you used Google Voice as your contact number, block the scammers number by checking the box that says "The number you have reached is no longer in service. No further information is available about 555-1212....."

ALWAYS use your free Google Voice number when dealing with Craigslist.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
holy shit. no way.

I just got a killer deal on craigs a few days ago.
I was on the free section (you wouldn't believe the cool shit ive gotten off that section)
a guy has a ad up handy mans special it says.
so I got in touch via the email thing. guy doesn't want to give me his number because
he doesn't know me. I get it ok. so I was thinking that heres another douche bag.........
so he asked me if I was coming and that the stuff would be on the curb. so my girlfriend
was out by the spot already. she drives by to look and see if anything was out there.
Holy Shit! 2 routers, 3 DA sanders, 1 belt sander, a drill, a plainer, and a box full of
NIB screws, nails, drywall screws and anchors, 2 wall hanging bike racks, 2 big parts bins full of stuff,
2 jig saws and blades NIB, circular saw blades NIB, 3 new band saw blades, all kinds of connecters and shrink tubing,
packs of brass corners for like trunks, I mean the list goes on and on guys. I didn't list it here cause its not "gear"
but, it will fit well in my guitar building tools rather nicely. well a big chunk of it will.
all for free too. all the guy asked was if there was somethings I didn't want to please pay them forward
for free to the next person as he did to me. now how damn cool was this right.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
I got my Dean V on a trade for a POD XT live that I had gotten in another trade. I tried selling the POD and kept dropping the price on CL, I had it down to 75 and was going to give up, posted on FB and a dude offered me the V for it, straight up. Plays awesome, I have it setup with 12s and tuned to D. If it gets banged up I don't care at all as long as it plays and sounds the way it does :), I call it my 75 dollar guitar.

My charvel I got on Reverb, it was listed as a lower model but I saw EMGs in the picture and headstock paint matched the body color so I knew it was a 1, grabbed it for 250, he had just listed it an hour earlier so I didn't want to wait and think about it and have someone else snag it. I believe the original owner played jazz, because the neck pickup was cranked high and it had flatwound strings on it.

My cab was on clearance on zzounds for a bit over 200, made in USA with a V30 in it. The EVH head I paid full price and it's well worth it to me :)

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Lots of guys say they're not "real" Charvels because they're made in China, but I don't care, holds its own against several USA guitars I had in the past. Don't mind the mess, this was right after a move and stuff is kinda jammed in there.

charvel.jpg

EMG 81/85 pickups, locking tuners, abalone inlays in the fretboard and binding, mahogany wood with unpainted neck. Oh yeah and it came with a decent gig bag and Schaller strap locks.

Last edited:

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Many, many deals throughout the years...a few I still own from latest to earliest.

1998 Fender Classic 50's Series Strat - $300 Had custom Pups, too.
1982 White Anniversary 4210 combo...handwired to 1987 specs - $300
1988 JCM800 2203 - $300
1967 Gibson SG Special with HBs - $250

I used to get vintage Jensen P12N's for $50 and resell them for $150, which actually got me that Strat for free.

But way back in the day...Mustangs were $100 all day. Champs were under $100 all day. SF Bassmans and Bandmasters
were about $200 all day. Les Pauls were about $500 which I could never afford.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
Lots of guys say they're not "real" Charvels because they're made in China, but I don't care, holds its own against several USA guitars I had in the past. Don't mind the mess, this was right after a move and stuff is kinda jammed in there.

View attachment 38596

EMG 81/85 pickups, locking tuners, abalone inlays in the fretboard and binding, mahogany wood with unpainted neck. Oh yeah and it came with a decent gig bag and Schaller strap locks.

hey as long as it plays good and feels right in your hands who cares what others think right.
I like the color too.
as for the mess, it looks lived in. everybody knows that the jam station is gonna be a mess bro. :agreed:

ricksconnected

Reaction score
Many, many deals throughout the years...a few I still own from latest to earliest.

1998 Fender Classic 50's Series Strat - $300 Had custom Pups, too.
1982 White Anniversary 4210 combo...handwired to 1987 specs - $300
1988 JCM800 2203 - $300
1967 Gibson SG Special with HBs - $250

I used to get vintage Jensen P12N's for $50 and resell them for $150, which actually got me that Strat for free.

But way back in the day...Mustangs were $100 all day. Champs were under $100 all day. SF Bassmans and Bandmasters
were about $200 all day. Les Pauls were about $500 which I could never afford.

long gone are the old days and their prices. :sad:

Garrett

Reaction score
Went into GC last week to get some strings and picks. See a used strat with a weird Fender logo on the head stock and a made in Korea sn on the back and a really nice birds-eye maple fretboard. No idea what it was and they were asking $400. I plugged, sounded good but had some SD pickups in it HSH configuration. They will be swapped for some single coils.

Has genuine Fender locking tuners and a tremolo that is some aftermarket part with rollers in the saddles and a brass block. Really nice two point trem.

Well, I wasn't sure what it was and neither did the GC guys. Asked them to un-bolt the neck and there were no markings at all on the body or heel.

So a GC guys says it may be a fake. I was leary and said give me the lowest price, they said $280, what they paid for it. With all the nice hardware and a hardshell case how can you say no?

Got it home and did some quick research. It's actually a limited run of strats called a Lite Ash Special that were made at the Cort plant, good wood but poor hardware stock.

I'm one of those that struggle when using a strat, prefer a tele and LP. But this guitar has a beautiful bell like tone to it.

It's a keeper!

Garrett

Reaction score
I use to use Photobucket but it's pretty crappy now.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good hosting site? I'll try to get pics up soon.

Thanks.

Notes69

Reaction score
Thanks to the advice on another forum, I snagged this Epiphone Les Paul Special I P90 from GC for $79 last week.

I just looked, and it's back to $149

It's the only cheap guitar I own, but I am very impressed....for the price. The p90's, played thru my DSL40c classic channel is fantastic. I consider it a GREAT buy.

epi lp 2.jpg

Wildeman

Reaction score
Pulled this out the other day '59 10 watt Masco, all ptp 50's tube goodness, very tweedy. Ampro 1x 12" cab, also 50's it came with a Jensen but i have a ceramic Eminence in it now. This thing is loud and proud with that killer breakup that 50's amps are known for. Got about 100 bux into both, hows that for boutique.20161208_161420.jpg

Latest posts