Gtr Wall Hangers...lil' Help

• Thread starter Derek S
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Derek S

Reaction score
Question about wall hanging mounts. I've recently moved into a new home and this time I intend on hanging up all my gtrs (in the last house I only hung a couple and they went directly into studs). Have any of you hung your babies on the wall using only sheet rock anchors? I know it'd be ideal to hit the studs, but I won't be able to get them all up this way, so I'm curious if over time you've had no problems with this and that they've been hanging safely mounted purely into the sheet rock for years?! Thanks in advance - and feel free to share pics.

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
One of mine is using anchors for the last 5 years or so. It has been just fine so far but I do check once in a while to make sure.

12barjunkie

Reaction score
Yeah, anchors will hold the weight of most guitars, but it makes me a lil' paranoid. I've done it before with no problems, but I don't like to. Another option is screwing a board on your wall across two differnt studs and then you can put the hangers anywhere on the board that you want to and it will be much more secure.

Coronado

Reaction score
A couple years ago I came home to find one of my LPs hanging by one screw. I was positive that both screws had been securely fastened into the stud, but apparently one of them I guess I missed the stud and it had pulled away from the wall. I do think the other screw that was in the wood would have held, but it did give me a hell of a scare. I will say that of course I wasn't using the proper anchor with that screw as I thought I was going directly into the wood, so I cant speak on how well the anchors work. For heavier guitars, my advice would be to try and hit the studs if at all possible, just to give you peace of mind.

Derek S

Reaction score
Hmmm, ok, thanks gents! The input makes me cautious lol. You know it is a much larger room I have to work with this time, maaaaaaybe I'll go the stand route again haha. I only have 6 or 7 anyway. You'd think I can find enuff studs for that...and i would prefer to hang 'em. I know this, the old Kramer Baretta is over 10#, that rascal goes to a stud only or a stand. The other super strats are all in the 7# range, might be safe into sheetrock anchors. Thanks again for the thoughts/experiences.

Coronado

Reaction score
I believe they are pretty sturdy. If I remember correctly, I think they say that they can hold 30 or 40 pounds? I have given the guitar a pretty good tug while in the wall hanger and they haven't budged.

Here is another option I have been kicking around. There are a few different places that make these wall mounts. I like this idea because once you mount the main piece, you have a little more flexibility with how many guitars you hang and where you put them. My only thought would be that I imagine it uses a somewhat larger screw than the typical Hercules (for example) wall hanger, and I would think the holes would be a tad more significant in the wall. Maybe just a little more work patching holes if you ever wanted to take it down or move it.

upload_2016-7-11_10-15-41.png

royslead

Reaction score
I was originally going to go with the slat wall / metal hangers route; but instead used String Swing and Fret Rest hangers. Some are in studs, others are just in wall mount anchors. After three years, so far there have been no issues.

JohnH

Reaction score
I hate hanging anything heavier than a picture frame from just the plaster-board (sheet rock). Id run a 19mm timber board across the whole zone, screwing into studs, and fix hangers wherever you want on that.

I find studs by tapping etc, but then confirm by probing with a fine nail to find the edges of each stud, and so be sure where the centre is. All the probing is covered by what is attached, but its easily repaired with plaster if it all needs to come off one day.

Conghaille

Reaction score
The anchors that shipped with my hangers (the plastic, screw-in kind) did not hold very well. If you get the good metal-sping-loaded type, they should work fine. When I decided to lose my rack and hang everything including my bass, I didn't want to mess around, so like the above, I installed an anchor board. For some this may be overkill, but I like not having to worry at all.

IMG_0572.jpg

mcblink

Reaction score
Mine are all in studs because I'm too scared to chance it.....

dptone5

Reaction score
All mine are in studs. Like others, don't want to risk it or even have to think about it.

DP

Ghostman

Reaction score
Into drywall with anchors?

Hiw90yG.gif

Grogshla

Reaction score
how do you go with moisture and dust? Do you find the strings and metal components get dirty? What about any extra strain on necks that aren't neck through?
I like the idea of hanging guitars but have been keeping mine in their cases for safety.

Derek S

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the input everyone. I was leaning towards the single beam thing with hangers ala the couple pics posted....but, I finally had a few seconds yesterday to dig out the stud finder and it looks like my initial hunch was way off, sorry! I have no less than 7 studs on the preferred wall to work with, way more than I thought/needed!! I'll probably toss up a "new home/studio" thread once settled in with plenty of pr0n.

derek

El Gringo

Reaction score
I have all of mine on stands , which i feel is the way to go for me .One of the main reasons on the stands is in the winter time i run the humidifier to keep the moisture content in the air, because i hate finish checking and necks moving out of whack.