Guitar And Pedal Issues

• Thread starter Ghost
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost

Reaction score
I've got some problems with my guitar and pedal that I suppose need addressing separately, but I'll post them both in this thread:

So I recently bought a Splawn QR100. It's a great amp, but I wasn't really satisfied with the gain. Now, this could be attributable to a number of things, but it seems to me the distortion on all the overdrive channels is sort of muddy, pinch harmonics are difficult, doesn't really seem to be a great tone. The guitar I play is a Charvel San Dimas loaded with a Bill Lawrence L500XL in the bridge. I remember a few months back plugging up to a DSL40c in Guitar Center. The overdrive on it was okay, but didn't have that extra oomph that I wanted for 80s metal shred. So I plugged a Pro Co Rat II pedal in front of it and it automatically pushed that amp into high gear for some screaming lead tones. I figured it would be a good idea to buy one of the Rat II's for my QR so I ordered one used from GC. It came in today and I hooked it up to the front of the QR, just the pedal and the amp. It sounds like utter dog shit. Muddy, quiet, fuzzy, and just downright terrible. I thought it would have the same effect on the QR as it had on the DSL40c. I thought it would tighten it up, compress the sound a bit, and just push the overdrive over the top just slightly, but it doesn't. It just makes it sound like a crappy $30 First Act amp that just got some milk spilt on it. Am I using it wrong? What do I need to do to make it sound right?

The second problem is with my guitar. Now, I built this guitar with parts custom ordered from Musikraft. Theoretically, it's a nice guitar (quarter-sawn maple neck, premium ebony fretboard, alder body, high end electronics) but I have honestly fought with this guitar since the day I put it together. The current issue is that I cannot set the action or the truss rod right. It has fret buzz despite the action being very high. I adjusted the truss rod twice, waited over night each time, the neck bow was even more than it should have been, and it still buzzed. Not long ago the frets were leveled on this guitar by a pro guitar tech guy. I'm at my wit's end with both the guitar and the amp.

I'm honestly thinking about simplifying my setup by getting rid of the Splawn and buying a nice gig-worthy solid state combo amp like the Boss Katana or something. I've heard good things about these amps, but not sure if they can compete with a drummer? I'm open to suggestions on amps.

Advance thanks for any help!

Ghostman

Reaction score
Post up your settings on both the amp and the Rat. Every amp will react different to pedals. What sounds great through one amp, will sound like Bea Arthur through another.

The guitar needs a pro. I'm all for do-it-yourself, but sometimes, you just have to step back and let someone else take a crack at it. It's not a sign of defeat, it's just the way it is.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't the point of a $2K amp so that you don't have to put a cheap-ass $50 pedal in front of it to sound good?

As for the guitar, a good setup will fix up a Charvel in no time.

Sounds like tech time for both...

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Bolt-on neck? May need shimming in the neck pocket to get the optimum angle. As above, good techie can get everything working in harmony.

Ghost

Reaction score
Isn't the point of a $2K amp so that you don't have to put a cheap-ass $50 pedal in front of it to sound good?
You'd think so. I'm definitely trading the Rat II for a mini cry baby or something. I've never really trusted myself to do technical work or tinkering on stuff. Just seems like I end up making things worse when I do. I've had this guitar setup several times by pros and it's been way better than it is now, but it's honestly never been great. I've always fought with this guitar. It doesn't reward you or give anything back when you play it.

As for the guitar, a good setup will fix up a Charvel in no time.
It's not a real Charvel. It's just a copy I built from parts custom made by Musikraft. It doesn't play half as good as true Charvels I've played sadly. I'm looking for a used San Dimas on ebay.

Ghost

Reaction score
I'm honestly very let down by my Splawn but just not wanting to admit it to myself. It could just be my playing though. I know I've played on equipment before that made me sound amazing and had very good sonic rewards for very little effort, but I never seem to be able to get a good sound out of my equipment. I feel as though I could save myself a lot of money and pain if I just sold the Splawn and picked up a good gig-worthy solid state combo like a Boss Katana 100 2x12.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
I'm honestly very let down by my Splawn but just not wanting to admit it to myself. It could just be my playing though. I know I've played on equipment before that made me sound amazing and had very good sonic rewards for very little effort, but I never seem to be able to get a good sound out of my equipment. I feel as though I could save myself a lot of money and pain if I just sold the Splawn and picked up a good gig-worthy solid state combo like a Boss Katana 100 2x12.
Yes definitely do that. The Boss Katana kills a Splawn Quick Rod.

RLW59

Reaction score
Your description of the Splawn sounds like it could have a defective, weak tube.

Or if you bought it used, worn out tubes.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
RLW59Active Member
"Your description of the Splawn sounds like it could have a defective, weak tube.

Or if you bought it used, worn out tubes."

This is quite true^

But if the tubes are good it could be several other things

Are you playing with the amp at low volume and with the gain cranked up high? Lots of bass, scooped mids maybe? If so, turn the amp up and back off on the gain. You'll find a spot where it sounds bigger and meaner that way.

And I hate Rats. Do you have a clean boost you can try, or have you tried turning the drive down and volume up on the rat?

Ghost

Reaction score
RLW59Active Member
"Your description of the Splawn sounds like it could have a defective, weak tube.

Or if you bought it used, worn out tubes."

This is quite true^

But if the tubes are good it could be several other things

Are you playing with the amp at low volume and with the gain cranked up high? Lots of bass, scooped mids maybe? If so, turn the amp up and back off on the gain. You'll find a spot where it sounds bigger and meaner that way.

And I hate Rats. Do you have a clean boost you can try, or have you tried turning the drive down and volume up on the rat?
Very good questions/suggestions. The rat I think we can toss out. Yes, I've tried it with the settings all over the board. It sounds like I described it earlier, like someone spilt milk on a $30 First Act amp from Walmart. It is going straight to GC and getting traded for a different, more useful pedal asap. Likely a Cry Baby mini.

As for the settings on the amp. Yes, I have it at low volumes and with gain cranked. However, I notice that the amp loses gain when I turn it up. It doesn't really sound all that great (to my ears) when turned up. I find I have to turn it down to get a good, gainy, saturated tone like I like when playing in my room at home. I don't really know what you're talking about when you say it will sound better cranked. I don't really find that this amps sounds all that great at all. Has a dark tone that doesn't reward you. Just doesn't feel right to my fingers. Can't make anything sound good on it. I play very Nuno Bettencourt-ish. Lots of palm-muted riffs with pinch harmonics, hammer ons, etc... The notes just seem to fall apart. I'm not sure how to describe it. I'm completely, utterly, and decisively useless when it comes to guitar player lingo and jargon. I have no idea what words like "tight", "compressed", "middy", "sparkly", or any of these words mean. I find that my descriptors, as well as my ear, doesn't match up with anyone else's. This is probably why people usually look at me like a deer in headlights every time I try to describe things. All I know is I'm not feeling it. Trying to figure out why. I'm also about to drop this guitar of mine in the dumpster and buy a real guitar. Also, I don't know how to check tubes, so I can't say if it's a tube or not.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hm. At this point I'm really leaning toward recommending that you follow the advice given above and go score yourself a nice new Katana. And that cry baby mini.

Rock on and don't look back

Ghost

Reaction score
Hm. At this point I'm really leaning toward recommending that you follow the advice given above and go score yourself a nice new Katana. And that cry baby mini.

Rock on and don't look back
Or a JVM205H. Haven't decided which yet.

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
Could be the pickups. I have a very old L500XL in one of my guitars and it's a very "unique" tone. Works well with some amps but not all (I generally prefer hot alnico or hot ceramic to Bill's design). But I wouldn't expect that combination to be muddy...if anything I'd expect the DSL to be muddy.

My theory is that the pickup is so bright, you end up dialing in the amp harsh to compensate.

Maybe a little amp maintenance is in order.

Ghost

Reaction score
I'm just having all kinds pf problems and things are just falling apart. Lots of things I could say right now, but I know you guys are not up for hearing my drama, so I'll spare you the good bits.

The only things I will say is that I think my gear needs a total revamp - guitars, amps, and all. I think I made a big mistake purchasing the Splawn. I just don't think it sounds good I'm sorry to say. It does not respond to my fingers. It is mushy, muddy, dark sounding, and the notes just mush out and fade away. It is not tight, responsive, or inspiring to play. The Peavey Triple-xxx 2x12 combo I had before this amp sounded 10x better to my ears. The notes were crisp, the attack was sharp, it had great voicing and tone. The Splawn just sounds awful. I'm thinking I'm going to try out some other good amps, pick one that I like, and trade the Splawn for it.

As for the guitar, I think I can just chock it up to a failed experiment. I built it thinking it would be this nice custom instrument, but it has never really worked. It doesn't play good, and it doesn't really sound all that great either. I'm thinking I'm going to just save up and buy a real Charvel production model guitar second hand.

I'm looking for suggestions on amps. Something good for lead playing. Stylistically - EVH, Nuno, Demartini, Lynch, Rhoads, Lee, etc...

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try another guitar. Like was mentioned the amp may not like that pickup.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
These may be more to your liking:

Last edited: