Guitar Center's Unscrupulous Practices (Caught)

• Thread starter Sapient
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I know one you can buy right now Mr. I wear blinders. Well, .....go buy it.

Some people seem to be missing the secret dimension of full thought.
Sapient , sorry to hear about this . I got screwed by them on a amp a couple of years ago.
I am in the 5th dimension times pi cause I like pie.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Sapient , sorry to hear about this . I got screwed by them on a amp a couple of years ago.
I am in the 5th dimension times pi cause I like pie.

I just don't understand how someone can essentially tell me it's "in my head" in such a point blank bust thread.

:shrug:

Last edited:

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
In most GC's, there's a tremendous turnover in personnel.

I don't think there's a good $ growth for GC people and there's a lack of sustainable integrity with sales interaction with customers.

It seems that, in a few months, the GC people leave and a new crop of insincere GC individuals are there to screw buyers.

It's a terrible way of doing business.

Get your best and forget about the health of GC.

GC looks very small and petty.

It's their way and they deserve the reputation.

Last edited:

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I have no proof, but I pickup that their employees are treated like poop too. The egos in the inner culture probably run ramped.

Dblgun

Reaction score
I have had the same experience with GC as most. I avoid their stores at all costs. It's not just the stores though, their on line service is just as bad.

I recently was putting together a 4x12 cab and they had the speakers with the right impedance and a fair price for the market. I ordered the speakers and they arrived the following week. As soon as I saw the box they were in I was concerned. The box was big, much bigger than you need even for 4 12's. One corner was blown out and you could see the speaker boxes inside. Upon opening the box the speakers had just been tossed into the box on end in a random fashion. I opened each speaker and found that one frame was severly bent and had obviously taken a significant impact. This was not an issue with UPS/FedEx. It would be hard for any shipper to successfully deliver the speakers they way they were packed.

It took me the entire following day to get a hold of them. When I did I was told that I needed to file a claim with the shipper. I told them the fault was with them not the shipper. They asked if I wanted a refund and to return the speakers. I told them I want 4 new intact speakers. The best they could do was to sell me a fifth speaker at a discount and provide a shipping label for the return of the damaged speaker. They also said they would ship the new speaker next day so that I would have it the following day and before the weekend. I purchased the new speaker and was provided a shipping label for the return and a tracking number for the next day delivery of the new speaker. I checked the tracking and saw that it was a next day service and was scheduled to be delivered the following day by end of business. I received the speaker 5 days later in usable condition. I shipped the damaged speaker back and although it was delivered have yet to be credited.

GC has a huge presence in this market and enormous buying power and therefore can provide products and pricing that reflect this. They will continue to hemorrage current and potential core customers because they lack the interest or ability to service those customers who have options. In this case GC sold a speaker at a discount and paid to ship the item next day in reponse to initial poor service by their employee(s). GC packaged the speaker and created a next day shippment but failed to ship the package for 4 days. They will not get another penny from me simply because of the poor service.

Last edited:

jeffb

Reaction score
Their not hard to “not” do business with, I don’t even go in the store anymore. I thought ours was bad, a guy at a music store told me the one in CT was voted worst in the country!

Which one in CT? Orange?

if so, I would agree. I used to shop there back in the early Y2Ks. I once returned a brand new Epiphone Les Paul ( a really exceptional sounding one) because the truss rod was non functional. Dude tried to convince me to keep it and they would fix it, no thanks. Guitar was back on the hanger the next week as a "demo".

Edit- that wasn't the only time they did some bad juju- but I did capitalize on a big mistake they made one time- c.f the "Ibanez Destroyer" thread in the guitar forum. Karma's a b#$ch

Last edited:

Sapient

 
Reaction score
So all, GS restocks known defective merchandise and tallcoolone says: "Welly welly then just don't go there."

What a world. Lol.

jeffb

Reaction score
So.

Don’t.

Go.

There.

Guess what?

I don't . Haven't for 15 years. At the time, it was the best inventory around. Local Mom & Pop's sucked- band instruments for HS and cheap knock off guitars or vintage dealers with serious attitude.

Also, I don't see how people relating their experience is a problem- this is a discussion forum, right? We are here to talk about guitars and amps and music.

You can just as easily ignore this thread or my comments if it bothers you. I'll be posting what I feel like posting assuming it doesn't break any rules.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Guess what?

I don't . Haven't for 15 years. At the time, it was the best inventory around. Local Mom & Pop's sucked- band instruments for HS and cheap knock off guitars or vintage dealers with serious attitude.

Also, I don't see how people relating their experience is a problem- this is a discussion forum, right? We are here to talk about guitars and amps and music.

You can just as easily ignore this thread or my comments if it bothers you. I'll be posting what I feel like posting assuming it doesn't break any rules.
And I will continue to call you a whiner. Complaining about a retail store in today’s environment is about as obtuse as it gets. Grow up.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
And I will continue to call you a whiner. Complaining about a retail store in today’s environment is about as obtuse as it gets. Grow up.

Some people stand up and call out and report. It's ones like yourself that have allowed things to get like they are now days anyway. To avoid is to allow!

BTW do you suffer from arrested development?

jeffb

Reaction score

First- I wasn't whining, YOU are whining about people sharing their story.

Second- Your Mom was whining last night. The good kind.

ampeq

Reaction score
Which one in CT? Orange?

if so, I would agree. I used to shop there back in the early Y2Ks. I once returned a brand new Epiphone Les Paul ( a really exceptional sounding one) because the truss rod was non functional. Dude tried to convince me to keep it and they would fix it, no thanks. Guitar was back on the hanger the next week as a "demo".

Edit- that wasn't the only time they did some bad juju- but I did capitalize on a big mistake they made one time- c.f the "Ibanez Destroyer" thread in the guitar forum. Karma's a b#$ch
Not sure, the guy didn't say. I just don't go near them, somewhere there must be good ones but not any I've ever been in. If I see a new one somewhere I'll look at the used stuff if they have any. Our store here is a joke, I have no idea how they are even still in business.

jeffb

Reaction score
Not sure, the guy didn't say. I just don't go near them, somewhere there must be good ones but not any I've ever been in. If I see a new one somewhere I'll look at the used stuff if they have any. Our store here is a joke, I have no idea how they are even still in business.

There are definitely good ones. The one in Towson, MD was very good the couple of times I went. There is a newer one in Yonkers, NY that is pretty good too at first opening- I have not been in quite some time. They put a mini GC store near where I used to live, and that became my go-to. Well run, but 1/3 normal inventory.