Guitarist Dies From Electrocution

• Thread starter crossroadsnyc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score

The horror of death by electrocution is vastly exaggerated. Have you ever heard anyone complain after it happened to them? :coffee:

anitoli

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a friend I used to jam with, and I couldn't sing into his P.A. because I would get shocked every time I touched his mics..I tried using ground lift plugs on my amp, still didn't help. I finally started carrying foam windscreens to use on his mics.

Does Brazil have 110 or 220 volt standards? 110 hurts, and can be lethal under certain circumstances, but 220 will kill a person in short order..I've never understood why they insist on having those 220 volt standards overseas..Crazy.

In any case, too bad for the poor guy..Sorry to hear.
Double the voltage halve the current. 220-240 volt utilities require lower generation capacity.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
The image of the socalled rocker is
replaced with the image of a hacker.

Hacker needs an Apple not a Marshall.

Media reports of dying electracuted
guitar bozo means change of rules.

:p

MP+

Reaction score
I’m an electrician. As with any incident you will always have people, sometimes unqualified/untrained people speculating, finger pointing or jumping to conclusions without knowing the full facts or having any real technical understanding. In my own experience, it’s usually a combination of issues which lead to accidents happening. As well as the guitarists own equipment, the technician and competencies of those involved in setting up the show, the venue electrical installation (Including it’s maintenance & inspection records for all electrical equipment including cabling, stage set up in the venue etc) will most certainly all form part of the investigation. You can be sure the various insurance parties will go through everything, and someone will eventually have to answer for this.
Fair enough. What we do know is that the poor guy was in contact with the conductive parts of his guitar and the multitude of incidents and near misses that many on this forum can attest to. No reason to shut down any conversation on safety.

George Dickens

Reaction score
As a teen I got a shock once on my lips when they touched a mic.
I was in my sock feet, on a concrete floor, holding a bass.
Trying to do Free's "All Right Now".
I never again did I get close to a microphone...luckily, I couldnt sing a note.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score

PelliX

Reaction score
I have a Silverface Champ at a Fender Qualified tech right now getting the two prong cable converted to a 3 prong chord. Depending on how much they charge me ($85 per hour but could take two hours), I will consider taking in an old Silvertone bass amp. I was getting shocked on both of those amps.

2 hours to fit an earthed lead?? I could do it blindfolded in 30 mins.... what the hell is wrong with these people....

Derrick111

Reaction score
Someone mentioned EMG's which are great because they don't require a string ground to stay quiet .
Before anyone goes through the trouble of changing their pickup to an EMG with the idea this would be safwer... consider that most guitarists contact with the guitar's ground is not likely the pickup. You are prabably more likely to be in contact with the guitar's signal ground through the strings/bridge/tailpiece/tuners rather than the pickup itself. It would be much better/safer to correct the root of the problem anyways than try an eliminate one of many possible ways one could be zapped. Checking your equipment, checking the plug at the venue with the simple plug in tester, using a GFCI and or isolation transformer (will have to look into Ebtech to see if that does this?) are the precautions to really consider.