• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Hanging guitars on the wall by the headstock.

• Thread starter Feeling Supersonic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johnfv

Reaction score
For me, it's sad that a real issue gets lost in the noise. Nitro finishes getting damaged by stands and hangers is no joke. While I'm happy for those of you that have never experienced it, I'll keep posting about it - I hope I can save someone the pain of learning the hard way like I did. Even Hercules, one of the few stand makers to say they are "nitro safe" puts all sorts of wiggle words around their statement.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
For me, it's sad that a real issue gets lost in the noise. Nitro finishes getting damaged by stands and hangers is no joke. While I'm happy for those of you that have never experienced it, I'll keep posting about it - I hope I can save someone the pain of learning the hard way like I did. Even Hercules, one of the few stand makers to say they are "nitro safe" puts all sorts of wiggle words around their statement.

Nitro? are you talking about hangers?

What happened to your guitar then?

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
Absolutely safe and the Hercules are awesome!! I have never had an issue.

I don't keep them there constantly, but over the weekend, if I'm doing a lot of playing, I'll get them out. Love the vibe it creates!

DP

IMG_4604.jpg

Hey dude..

I have similar guitars to you!

A have a Taylor, PRS a Les Paul a white strat and a shred guitar too! ;)

HumanJHawkins

Reaction score
Nitro? are you talking about hangers?

What happened to your guitar then?

The nitro finish on Gibsons (and any other guitar that has a nitro finish) reacts with some types of rubber. Make sure you purchase your guitar hangers from a reputable business and you should be fine.

I made the mistake of making my own guitar hangers out of some rubber coated hooks from a hardware store. They looked great and were very sturdy, etc. But after a few months, two little rough spots formed where the finish was in contact with the hooks. This is purely a resell-value problem, as it has no effect on playability, structure, or tone. But it would really suck to have that happen to a mint custom shop guitar.

There is a guy on eBay selling guitar hangers like the ones I made, and I am sure they would cause the same problem. I wrote to him to let him know, but he ignored me and still sells them. Forget the name, so just beware of small-time/home made hangers.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
The nitro finish on Gibsons (and any other guitar that has a nitro finish) reacts with some types of rubber. Make sure you purchase your guitar hangers from a reputable business and you should be fine.

I made the mistake of making my own guitar hangers out of some rubber coated hooks from a hardware store. They looked great and were very sturdy, etc. But after a few months, two little rough spots formed where the finish was in contact with the hooks. This is purely a resell-value problem, as it has no effect on playability, structure, or tone. But it would really suck to have that happen to a mint custom shop guitar.

There is a guy on eBay selling guitar hangers like the ones I made, and I am sure they would cause the same problem. I wrote to him to let him know, but he ignored me and still sells them. Forget the name, so just beware of small-time/home made hangers.

I'll keep that in mind and check on mine too.

I got a custom shop strat once and on the day I bought it I chipped the headstock whilst changing strings.

I still part ex-changed it, but lost a bit of resell value. It's annoying when that happens.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
Reminds me of your photo above the compter
strats005.jpg

Lovely strat!

That framed image was signed by Gary Moore when I met him. Just so happened to be holding a guitar magazine and a pen at the time, so I went to say a quick hello .. asked him to sign on a strat though! shame it wasn't a Les Paul.

DSC01077.jpg

KISS NATION

Reaction score
Personally I stick with floor stands. I use the hercules floor stand.
only because I play my guitar a lot while sitting at my computer, or on the sofa at the side of my computer desk. having the guitar in a floor stand at the side of me is much easier than having it on a wall.

johnfv

Reaction score
The nitro finish on Gibsons (and any other guitar that has a nitro finish) reacts with some types of rubber. Make sure you purchase your guitar hangers from a reputable business and you should be fine...
I have seen problems with "reputable" stand and hangar brands as well. It's just a damn shame to see a nice guitar have the finish damaged. I'm going to create a thread including a lot of details, will post a link when that's done.

duncan11

Reaction score
I have the hercules ones on the wall. I have to be careful with my EBMM though as the locking nut rubs the arms when they close, so I have to take care to kinda push it back and then down. Strats and LP's no issue. I don't have any of my LP's on the wall just for the 'in case' senario but I know they'd be fine there.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
I'd love to try a Guild acoustic one day.

Dude from Alice in Chains Catrell plays one on MTV unplugged, always thought it looked cool and sounded great.

Plus it's just something different from a Gibson, Martin etc.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
I've just bought another one of these wall hangers! so I'll have my acoustic and two electrics out for ease of use.

My bedroom will look like a guitar shop :lol:

They're great!