Help: Angus IF YOU WANT BLOOD (album) tone

• Thread starter marshallman116
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a '77 2204 and I LOVE the tone Angus Young gets on the If You Want Blood album and I was wondering if there is any way to get this tone without killing little puppies in the process! I need to know, I have a 2012 Flying V, an '08 Exporer, and a Les Paul Studio 70's Tribute with the mini humbuckers.

Msharky67

Reaction score
Your going to have to crank it up to get the tone but you have the right gear. The Les Paul would be better. Even at lower volume you should be good.

Redstone

Reaction score
What are your settings? AC/DC tone is pretty much volume, an SVDS unit and Malc/Angus's hands. Try the presence at 0, Bass at 6-8, Middle at 5-6, Treble at 5-6, preamp around 4-7 and the master where it suits you. It is pretty hard to 100% nail an AC/DC tone because there are so many factors in it, even down as far as what the position of they used to record it. Also, what speakers do you have. AC/DC used greenbacks as far as I know.

Reaction score
What are your settings? AC/DC tone is pretty much volume, an SVDS unit and Malc/Angus's hands. Try the presence at 0, Bass at 6-8, Middle at 5-6, Treble at 5-6, preamp around 4-7 and the master where it suits you. It is pretty hard to 100% nail an AC/DC tone because there are so many factors in it, even down as far as what the position of they used to record it. Also, what speakers do you have. AC/DC used greenbacks as far as I know.

My setting for AC/DC are Presence: 7 Bass: 10 Middle: 4 Treble: 5 Master: 3 when I can Pre-amp: 10. I also use a Ibanez TS-9 with Gain: 0 Tone: 3:00 Volume: 3:00. It still just doesn't have that tone, I have Greenbacks and 75w Celestions. I think I need 65w Celestions cause those are the speakers they used. I also have a '78 Super Bass thats getting a PPIMV so that might get me the Malcom tone. When I can crank my 2204 It starts to get there so I might put a PPIMV in the low sensitivity input seeing as how I never use it.

bon83

Reaction score
Make sure your amp is cascaded. I think they started in early 77. Could be 76 though.
I got a 2204 from 79 and my settings are: precence 0 bass 5 mid 4 trebble 7 Master 5 preamp 7-8
Amp starts working at around 4 on the master. At least at my amp. And use the greenbacks.
For the amount of gain i only use the guitar volume. 7-8 for rhythem and full on for leads.

Tweak it from there dude :shred:

Cheers

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Gibson, old Marshall, Aracom attenuator and good technique. Like this guy
Go to 3:45
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrag0vCuVw4[/ame]

dash8311

Reaction score
Hey marshallman116,

I think an SG with a T-Top bridge pickup (Manlius has a great one), a '76 1959, '79 2203, or YJM, and G12-65s speakers are about as close to AC/DC tone as you're going to get without an SVDS and/or Schaffer Replica as mentioned above.

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
My setting for AC/DC are Presence: 7 Bass: 10 Middle: 4 Treble: 5 Master: 3 when I can Pre-amp: 10. I also use a Ibanez TS-9 with Gain: 0 Tone: 3:00 Volume: 3:00. It still just doesn't have that tone, I have Greenbacks and 75w Celestions. I think I need 65w Celestions cause those are the speakers they used. I also have a '78 Super Bass thats getting a PPIMV so that might get me the Malcom tone. When I can crank my 2204 It starts to get there so I might put a PPIMV in the low sensitivity input seeing as how I never use it.

not a good idea to put a PPIMV near the pre-amp - your amp will squeal like a banshee ! . It should go on the back. I removed a speaker jack for my PPIMV. Who uses 2 cabs anyway ??

65 watters arent gunna get you any closer than greenbacks.. You need a good attenuator to get ACDC tone at low volume with a big amp.

Angus could get his sound through an MG. You need to play just like Angus.

Go to 5:00

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LMljLcN8Vg[/ame]

dash8311

Reaction score
Fil plays an Aracom in his above video, however if you watch this, you can see that even volume 2, pre-amp 2 on a 2204 with the TSR will give you the tone. Not volume dependant!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SXXWWy7tEA&feature=share&list=UU92ejkUPNETsgbK2IvfmABg[/ame]

Ken

Reaction score

My Sin City Settings, Red channel presence-bass: 5,4,4,5. Gain 2, volume 4. Note my wireless gain is on 8, not 10 like most people would do. This cleans up the DSL a lot from what my amp settings will sound like for others.

You can really set the amp any way you want as long as it doesn't have too much gain.

It's all in the fingers anyway.

Ken

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
My Sin City Settings, Red channel presence-bass: 5,4,4,5. Gain 2, volume 4. Note my wireless gain is on 8, not 10 like most people would do. This cleans up the DSL a lot from what my amp settings will sound like for others.

You can really set the amp any way you want as long as it doesn't have too much gain.

It's all in the fingers anyway.

Ken

Exactly. Thats why I always laugh when people ask for settings to get a certain persons tone. Settings just cut treble middle and bass. Thats it.

Your not gunna go from nowhere near Angus' tone to nailing it by moving the treble knob 3 positions.

Eq settings will fine tune it yes but you need to play like Angus first and foremost. Then have the right gear.

damienbeale

Reaction score
The Les Paul with mini-buckers will be miles away. The Explorer will probably be closer to an SG tone.
Failing the Schaffer pre-amp box, you're best bet would be to find a suitable treble boost to go in front of that 2204.

Actually, a better location for a PPIMV is as close as possible to the front, without going too close to the tone stack. This is why many people move the Presence to the rear, and stick a PPIMV in the Presence slot.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys guys, I'm only 14 and have no money so I'll get an attenuator as soon as I can offord one. There is a 1968 SG on Craigslist and the only things not original are the tuners and its missinf the lyre cover. Its $2500...... D:

dreyn77

Reaction score
Use the same type of gear angus/malcome does.
(The key word there is 'TYPE'.)

It doesn't have to be 'EXACT', near enough is fine to use.

If you can get the same 'level' of gain at a lower volume, that's also okay to use.

Reaction score
I need a space where I can crank it, if I had that I would be set cause I have the tone in my fingers just no way to properly execute it.

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
The Les Paul with mini-buckers will be miles away. The Explorer will probably be closer to an SG tone.
Failing the Schaffer pre-amp box, you're best bet would be to find a suitable treble boost to go in front of that 2204.

Actually, a better location for a PPIMV is as close as possible to the front, without going too close to the tone stack. This is why many people move the Presence to the rear, and stick a PPIMV in the Presence slot.

During my research the general concensus was to run the PPIMV to the back because when mounting it in the presence slot you need a shielded run.

Latest posts