• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Hipshot Locking Tuners, Buzzing From....pickups?!?!

Michael Inglis

Reaction score
I just replaced the tuners on my esp 7 string and schecter omen extreame six. The esp ltd 7 is working perfectly no issues. But the schecter has a buzz that's loudest at the pickups but can also be heard at the tuners although much quieter. The new tuners are hipshot locking open backs. The schecter has been my rock for the 5 years I've had it, sounds great plays great no issues.....until now. I've tried stretching out the springs in each side of both pickups the reinstalling and I still have the issue. It's almost like the tension is off or something with the strings cause the new tuners. I rarely encounter guitar buzzes which i can't identify and fix with an action adj., fret level, part tightening etc. This is driving me insane. I've contacted hipshot and they said I could exchange them but I'm not convinced that's going to be the fix. Could it just be that the new tuners hight is throwing things off? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

BowerR64

Reaction score
Ive had the truss rod buzz before.

Just turn everything up a little more and the buzz should go away :dude:

Michael Inglis

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, sadly i thought that might be it and checked by putting a little extra forebow then backbow just enough to start feeling resistance of course. But it wasn't a loose truss rod. I took everything off then put it back on tonight....EVERYTHING lol. So far it's gone but I expect it to come back seeing as I don't feel like anything was "fixed". I'll find out tomorrow I guess. Thanks again!

clutch71

Reaction score
My strat was buzzing and I thought it was the truss rod. Fortunately I inadvertently touched one of the Sperzl locking tuners and realized that it was not locked down. Might not be a bad idea to check the tuners if they lock.

Michael Inglis

Reaction score
My strat was buzzing and I thought it was the truss rod. Fortunately I inadvertently touched one of the Sperzl locking tuners and realized that it was not locked down. Might not be a bad idea to check the tuners if they lock.

Lol thanks but I've taken everything off the guitar multiple times and put it back on to no avail. I've under tightened over tightened everything. This set is either no good or they just don't wanna work with my set up. I'll let you guys know when I find out wtf?

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Stethoscope will help you find it.
71e01RnOmzL._SY355_.jpg

Push down on the strings between the nut and the tuners, to see if the buzz stops.
(tuner post is too high off the headstock)

Michael Inglis

Reaction score
I hate to sound like the guy who thinks he knows it all....but...lol. I actually just fixed a dead high e on my 7 string by adding a string tree(I've been aware of this for awhile) so this was also one of the first things I tried. I actually found that raising them up higher did more to help eliminate the buzz?! I recently took everything off and put it back on and for now the buzz is gone but I can just tell somehow that it's not really gone it's just in a sweet spot but it will be back. It's gone away a few times but keeps coming back which leads me to believe im not going to get rid of it until I find out exactly what's causing it. My best logical thinking tells me "I put on new tuners, I hear a new buzz. Everything was 100% fine before so it must be the tuners in some way or another." As soon as the buzz comes back an after I recover from my rage fit I'm going to take the tuners back off, put them back in their original package and mail them back to hipshot for a replacement. It's a complete pain in the ass but it's all that's left to try. I'm no professional luthier or anything and god knows i can make mistakes an overlook things. But I've been working on my guitars long enough that I don't get stumped by issues often although this ones got me. Or maybe I know it's the tuners but don't want to fully admit it and have to send them back. It's astounding how difficult it's been trying to pinpoint where exactly the buzz is coming from and we aren't talking a little fret buzz we are talking that ugly strong resonant turns my clean guitar into a distorted mess kinda buzz. Yet it's still elusive. If I'd read this a month ago happening to someone else I'd think the guy was just ignorant and didnt know what he was doing. Funny how life keeps are egos in check. Thanks for all the suggestions brothers, and like I said before. If and when I figure out WTF? I'll let everyone know what it was.

Michael Inglis

Reaction score
Yeah, but it is an "'extreame'six." BTW, I'd put the old ones back, too!
Rip on the name all you want brother. It cost me a quarter a paycheck and I can make it sound great. They are actually great guitars for the money with a really awful name.

Michael Inglis

Reaction score
The #3 and #4 tuners (G and D) on that extreame headstock are so close together that the Hipshots' mounting plates must nearly be on top of one another, no?
The Schecters are much better looking anyway.

They actually sat pretty far apart but I was expecting the same thing to happen. After I took off the mounting plates and took everything off and put it back on it seemed to solve the problem. I haven't had any issues yet. I actually wasn't a big fan of the schecter kidney bean tuning keys for one. And I'm normally a don't fix what ain't broke kinda guy but my 7 string needed new tuners so i thought "fuck it why not do both?" .....lesson relearned, dont fix what ain't broke.

Latest posts