• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Holy Grail Marshall's - Top 5??

• Thread starter nobbydog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dreyn77

Reaction score
So, lets take a good look at 1973 when ACDC was just born.
Who was already doing massive world tours at the time?
Led Zepplin.
So, who out ranks acdc still? Jimmy page.
What does he do today?
He hots up the sound and it doesn't resemble the old led Zepplin sound.

All these holy grail amps are actually new models now.
Unless you're gonna go round the world and replace all the worn out parts with new old stock parts....
Good luck to you!
If jimmy page didn't do it for 1 show, and that's all they had to do for the celebration day performance, then neither should you!
New is not holy grail. You're gonna buy new product. Lets be real.
You can't even get a vintage modern now.
Your holy grail amp is A NEW amp.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
The top 5 that I have owned, in no special order.

* 1977 JMP 2204
* 1977 JMP 2203
* 1983 JCM800 4104
* 2016 1962hw Bluesbreaker
* 2016 Astoria Dual Combo

* 1999 1987x (a very close 6th place)

Last edited:

67mike

Reaction score
So, lets take a good look at 1973 when ACDC was just born.
Who was already doing massive world tours at the time?
Led Zepplin.
So, who out ranks acdc still? Jimmy page.
What does he do today?
He hots up the sound and it doesn't resemble the old led Zepplin sound.

All these holy grail amps are actually new models now.
Unless you're gonna go round the world and replace all the worn out parts with new old stock parts....
Good luck to you!
If jimmy page didn't do it for 1 show, and that's all they had to do for the celebration day performance, then neither should you!

New is not holy grail. You're gonna buy new product. Lets be real.
You can't even get a vintage modern now.
Your holy grail amp is A NEW amp.

In that case...I gotta go with the Jubilee.

nobbydog

Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments, I can now narrow it down to 2 or 3 and try and find some to test - that old subjective jobby! Cheers again.

Metroman

Reaction score
JTM45/100

JTM45

10,000 Series Plexi

12,000 series plexi.

scottbaierl

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gig 1959's attenuated 3db, so all the character and tone is still fully intact but it is about half as loud as a wide open SLP. It is pretty hard to beat.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I gig 1959's attenuated 3db, so all the character and tone is still fully intact but it is about half as loud as a wide open SLP. It is pretty hard to beat.
True, love my 1959RI attenuated. I like my MV amps, but a non MV has that special touch sensitivity that only a non MV amp has. Currently my favorite amp.

scottbaierl

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a new rig, TSL 602 has done me well but I'm itching for the best Marshall can offer. So, without going into too much techy detail (as its all subjective of course) what wuld the top 5 holy grail Marshall's be for classic rock tones - usually the amps that newer models like to emulate etc. (we play ACDC covers + half a set of 80/90's rock and metal). I'm not talking 'Jim's first amp he ever made is No.1', just a pecking order of Plexi, JVM, DSL40 etc etc. Thanks chaps.....

For classic rock, my favorite is anything 1959... I have a '69 SLP, a '68 SLP, a '69 Super Bass and some others... They're all great, with slightly different twists to them. I also really like the JTM 45/100. Depending how discerning your ear is, you can get within a grenade's throw with newer Marshall models, but there's nothing quite like the real deal. I attenuate 3db and use a plexi shield in front of my amp, and that allows me to play in just about any venue, small or large, with the full tone and feel of a cranked Marshall, but at half the volume. It does not suck.

nobbydog

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance - attenuate with a PB or something similar? And what is a Plexi shield?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance - attenuate with a PB or something similar? And what is a Plexi shield?
Yes, Power Brake, Weber, any good attenuator. A plexi shield is usually a piece of plexi-glass that sits in front of the cab to diffuse/redirect sound. Bonamassa uses them quite a bit.

bcc0cc19-9a90-4503-87dc-1075c1c0ea5e.JPG

Last edited:

scottbaierl

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a Rivera Rockcrusher to attenuate. It's very transparent and seems to preserve the character of the amp, especially if I'm only attenuating 3db. I've had to go to 8db in a couple of very small venues, and that worked great too.

colchar

Reaction score
I'd honestly have to vote 8100 valvestate. I still play mine more than my dsl or 900.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Jim Marshall said that the Valvestates were his favourite amp series.

As for the OP's question, I have to say the JCM 2000 TSL but that is only because the TSL122 is the only Marshall that I currently own :naughty:

Latest posts