• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How Do You Do?

• Thread starter Barfly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Denise

Reaction score
:thumbs:

Just in case you haven’t heard this saying before:
“Good composers borrow, great composers steal.” :cool:

Also, while talking about ‘borrowing’ musical ideas from other guitar players, I’ve once heard Guthrie Govan say:
“If you steal from one person, it's theft, if you steal from lots of people, it's research!” :D

That was awesome!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Great...this didn't solve the mystery for me either. 'What comes first, the music or the lyrics'. :( I guess everyone is different.
In my experience, writing the music 1st is best. When you write lyrics, & start doing a melody, the music is simply a support for the melody, & is usually very limited in scope. When you write a musical score 1st, then it's harder to come up w/ lyrics, but when you get them, it's a lot better.

I'm not a great lyricist, so I find that it works better to bring my music to someone who can do lyric/melody & get an even better song. I tend to think that having a group that adds their own parts is better than a 1 person endeavor.

I also find that I tend to write better, based on what my position in the band/project is. If I'm writing guitar parts, I usually don't write as good a bass parts for the same music. If I write the bass part - same thing. Or, if I'm doing drums/percussion, I do that best, although, I am a good coach, to get my part to work w/ the other member.

As you can tell, I'm more of a collaborator, than a 1 man band...

Barfly

Expert bottle opener.
Reaction score
Good post...thank you! Very informative!!! You should repost your song!

Hi Denise,
You can still hear it in THE CELLAR here. The subj says: A LITTLE DITTY I JUST STUCK A FORK IN. Right now it's on the 2nd page. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll PM you a link to my soundclick thingy.

Last edited:

Gianni

Reaction score
Good post...thank you! Very informative!!! You should repost your song!

Hi Denise,
You can still hear it in THE CELLAR here. The subj says: A LITTLE DITTY I JUST STUCK A FORK IN. Right now it's on the 2nd page. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll PM you a link to my soundclick thingy.

I was going to suggest that Denise listen to ‘In The Rain’ too, but the song is no longer available on your SoundClick page,... and I was hoping to see a thread devoted to it. :sad:

www.marshallforum.com/threads/a-little-ditty-i-just-stuck-a-fork-in.94662
www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1099913

Denise

Reaction score
In my experience, writing the music 1st is best. When you write lyrics, & start doing a melody, the music is simply a support for the melody, & is usually very limited in scope. When you write a musical score 1st, then it's harder to come up w/ lyrics, but when you get them, it's a lot better.

I'm not a great lyricist, so I find that it works better to bring my music to someone who can do lyric/melody & get an even better song. I tend to think that having a group that adds their own parts is better than a 1 person endeavor.

I also find that I tend to write better, based on what my position in the band/project is. If I'm writing guitar parts, I usually don't write as good a bass parts for the same music. If I write the bass part - same thing. Or, if I'm doing drums/percussion, I do that best, although, I am a good coach, to get my part to work w/ the other member.

As you can tell, I'm more of a collaborator, than a 1 man band...
Thank you!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown:

Denise

Reaction score
Hi Denise,
I found it! That's awesome, thank you! Is that you in the pic holding the guitar upside down?

Barfly

Expert bottle opener.
Reaction score
Hi Denise. Thanks for listening and I am glad you liked it. Yes, it's a picture of me but an old one. I look like that guys' dad now! LoL.

johan.b

Reaction score
When i write, i usually stay up way too long and just play guitar...After while things just "come to me"..
...sometimes i try to force it by stubbornly try cord after cord after cord until i find something i like. ..but the things that "come to me" is always better
Benny Andersson, one of the guys from ABBA, once said something that could be translated like "if inspiration is a shooting star, you sometimes need to sit down a long while before you see it"..
You can find my music on YouTube and Spotify (or any other streaming site ) if you search for"diesel down"
j

Denise

Reaction score
When i write, i usually stay up way too long and just play guitar...After while things just "come to me"..
...sometimes i try to force it by stubbornly try cord after cord after cord until i find something i like. ..but the things that "come to me" is always better
Benny Andersson, one of the guys from ABBA, once said something that could be translated like "if inspiration is a shooting star, you sometimes need to sit down a long while before you see it"..
You can find my music on YouTube and Spotify (or any other streaming site ) if you search for"diesel down"
j
Great music!! Thank you!