How loud do you run your marshalls?

• Thread starter TyrackT71
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
i run my JVM's master 1 at 4 and master 2 at 5 when rehearsing and live... sometimes a little higher depending on the situation... the channel volumes are set pretty high while the EQ is set pretty low...
my bandmate runs his 2210 mastervolume at 4 as well

overall that's not very loud, but to me it's more important to have a good mix on stage and at rehearsals then letting the ego speak and crank the amp... nobody notices the better sound from a cranked amp, but people do hear it, when you fuck up the whole mix when playing too loud... especially in small places

the whole package is the important thing, not the guitars only...
when recording though, i run the amp very loud
+1
Very close to my approach on the 410H.

Alabama Thunderpussy

Reaction score
thats an interesting idea. gotta have monitors right?

but, that must not look very cool...tsk

Eh.. I wasn't worried about how it looked, as long as it sounded good and was big. That's an advantage of having a large amp. It kinda helps reserve your space on the stage in some situations. Nothing bugs me worse than band members all up in my performance space. If you wanna come sing into my mic and dude it up once in a while, fine, but don't spend half the set straddling my pedalboard.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i do think thats an intrigueing (fuck i hate spelling)idea. ive seen it done once minus the microphone, blues band, 4X10 combo open back.

but you must use a monitor like that correct?

our pa is pretty modest...

Gr8Scott

Reaction score
I live on the outskirts of a small town. The houses aren't all that close together in my section of the development I live in. That and we have local kids on 4 wheelers and dirt bikes riding up and down the road on an almost daily basis with racing exhausts just pounding away. If they can do that and noone calls the cops on them, I can turn my 2204 to 6 and use my mass 100 to tame the volume down to something manageable (it's in a bedroom). I could point the speakers out the window and noone would be likely to complain given the intense noise levels we have around here.

I'll be moving the amp to the basement soon (much larger open space) where it can breathe a little more and my ears can get more of a break as well. I want to build a small wall of amps. I have four heads and two cabs, so I'll have to either buy a couple of radial switchers or just buy some more cabs and speakers. I want to be able to run my Celtic Edana (JTM-45 clone), AA864 circuit bassman, and AC30CCH in stereo with my 2204. I'll likely run either the Vox or the JTM-45 as additional dirt and use the other as a clean channel with the bassman. Can you imagine how that would sound with two of the four amps running all at the same time with stereo delay and/or stereo chorus on both channels? It might even sound as good as the 2204 running all by itself...

Edanamed.jpg

test007.jpg

JCM800_Small.jpg

thinlizzy96

Reaction score
Running my Dsl100,
at gigs: around 4-6, blasted it to 10 at one out door show
in the studio: usually around 4 or 5
home alone: ... DIMED!

yladrd61

Reaction score
Anything over 5 will drive every dog within a 5 square mile area completely insane especially if I drop bombs with the trem :rock:

axe arsenal

Reaction score
TSL : the master (rhythm channel) at 4-5. Anything higher and nobody hears the drummer anymore. Got to warn you : done a few gigs in a row at 5+ last year and the result is a bad case of tinnitus. ALLWAYS USE EAR PROTECTION! I have tinnitus since I was about 25 years old, but things have gotten worse since last year (I am 44 now); didn't wear the earplugs because I was drunk and now all I hear is "white noise" and in the background I hear the actual sounds (people, cars, for example). It used to be the other way round (tinnitus in the background).
I know it is difficult to perform on stage with earplugs and it doesn't sound good to you but once your hearing is gone, it is gone or you'll have tinnitus (or both like i have). I have a hearing loss of -80% in the 1000 to 4000Hz range.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I live on a golf course. Never had the cops called, though. My 50 watt 4 holer has to get up to 3 before it sounds good, and between 5-7 are the sweet spots. Hopefully, the golfers are jamming with me. But as bad as I am, I've probably made a few of them miss their putts, ha!

jaek

Reaction score
You guys are either:

A: Living in rural areas.
B: Living next to deaf and/or tolerant neighbors
C: Lying.

A. 3.5 acres next to 10 acres of woods and the neighbors across are retired and travel all the time.

I can easily max it out at 10 when everybody's gone and when they're here I keep it below 5.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I only Play as loud as needed when Live. Otherwise I play no louder than a decent home stereo as I put in quite a few hours playing. I really do not see the point in destroying my ears as they are the only two I have.

David :cheers:

janarn

Reaction score
NMV JMP's will be at their best if the volume is 6-8.
Add a good boost and an attenuator and play.

trobdcso

Reaction score
At my drummers house, I run my DSL at 5. After 10:00 a noise ordnance kicks in. At my house in the country with no noise ordnance, I still run it at 5. Man that fucker is loud!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
TSL122 master at 2.5- 3 for the smaller clubs. It sounds much better at 5 but how the hell do you hear monitors (or anything else for that matter...) at 5 or over? Our drummer is bloody loud but no drums can keep up to that! We don't like to bludgeon the audience with volume...but,mmmm, that tone at 6 or 7....

Jesstaa

Reaction score
I run my 900 at 2 - 3 most of the time, and I'll crank it up to 10 every week usually.
I've taken it outside a few times and cranked it too.
Good fun.