How Will You Celebrate...

• Thread starter Trumpet Rider
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
...Jim Marshall's Birthday?

Jim-and-amp-no1@1043x1400.jpg

GettyImages-88919726.jpg

75508a9a7e2d6540bfcf37ffa393b96a.jpg

Eric%20Clapton257.jpg

d1af96a6a71df1b2e58bfc5c94e054ef.jpg

PelliX

Reaction score
Yeah, I never got his obsession for destruction. Maybe he got it from Keith who was probably the worst of 'em :applause:

Kicking over a speaker cab, even destroying it I can vaguely understand, but your instrument? It would be like going out with a buddy, having a great time and ... beating him into hospital at the end of a fun night. :shrug:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it was a Rickenbacher... according to the Who's site, it's a 'non-Fender™ rosewood neck':

https://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/marshallstack.html
that's not an official Who site...

it took me some time to find your quote:

upload_2021-7-29_12-32-20.png

ok, so I did a little more digging, this is what the Who fansite says:

https://thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/fendertelecaster.html

upload_2021-7-29_12-40-36.png

Grimshaw?

funny, that Grimshaw says Rick on it... :shrug:

https://thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/grimshaw.html

upload_2021-7-29_12-47-49.png

The problem w/ Rick though, is the neck design is neck-thru. The way it attaches to the body would make it a pretty big feat to mate to a Fender body, because it is a really different shape/size & just the way to cut it off & mount it would be pretty difficult.

According to the site, the only reason Pete used Tele's was to destroy them, so, he had the breaking the neck in mind, even before he pulled it out. Not sure he'd go through all that trouble to hook up a real Rick neck, just to smash it...

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
that's not an official Who site...

it took me some time to find your quote:

View attachment 92141

ok, so I did a little more digging, this is what the Who fansite says:

https://thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/fendertelecaster.html

View attachment 92142

Grimshaw?

funny, that Grimshaw says Rick on it... :shrug:

https://thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/grimshaw.html

View attachment 92143

The problem w/ Rick though, is the neck design is neck-thru. The way it attaches to the body would make it a pretty big feat to mate to a Fender body, because it is a really different shape/size & just the way to cut it off & mount it would be pretty difficult.

According to the site, the only reason Pete used Tele's was to destroy them, so, he had the breaking the neck in mind, even before he pulled it out. Not sure he'd go through all that trouble to hook up a real Rick neck, just to smash it...
Excellent detective work, Dogs.

PelliX

Reaction score

Excellent point. I guess the Danelectro might make more sense. So that makes me wonder what happened to the original Tele neck - damaged during the first rehearsal? :lol:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Excellent point. I guess the Danelectro might make more sense. So that makes me wonder what happened to the original Tele neck - damaged during the first rehearsal? :lol:
yeah, who knows, in another image, on the tele page, it shows another one fitted w/ a Strat neck...

IDK how available cheap knock-offs that would work, were, at the time. It sounds like he just needed the guitar to be playable for the duration of the song up until the smash episode, then, he'd rebuild it to do all over again.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
yeah, who knows, in another image, on the tele page, it shows another one fitted w/ a Strat neck...

IDK how available cheap knock-offs that would work, were, at the time. It sounds like he just needed the guitar to be playable for the duration of the song up until the smash episode, then, he'd rebuild it to do all over again.
I did some reading on the fan web page that Pellix linked and (I'm not going to try to find and quote it) somewhere someone said that Pete requested that the expendable guitar look enough like the player that he could swap them out at the last minute and the audience would not know the difference. Also, he did not put the guitar through a speaker, but only tore through the grille cloth. A bit disappointing in a way.