I got One!

• Thread starter ibmorjamn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

svinyard

Reaction score
What speakers are magic? I noticed the treble not playing nice when turned up. I might have to try the SD-1. So far I don’t have the right speakers. I have several. The problem is I have a small room so I doubt I will ever buy a 4 x 12.
1965 Cab....that's the magic for the Studio heads if you can't go with a 4x12.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Killer…congrats!

I swear by RFT 12ax7s in v1 to tame the highs in Marshall amps…marriage made in heaven
Ha! I have one on the way for mine, I've never tried one. Right now I have a Canadian Mullard in V1 that Marty sent me way back when, but I just settled on it out of my stash. I never really thought it sounded as good as I hoped, but it was the best sounding tube I have. I've been wanting to try an RFT for a long time, but didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount for it. I found one at a decent price the other day. I'm hoping the RFT is going to remove some of the fizzyness I have in the highs.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Killer…congrats!

I swear by RFT 12ax7s in v1 to tame the highs in Marshall amps…marriage made in heaven

Funny story. The other day when I posted that I had ordered an RFT it jogged my memory that I ordered 2 NOS tubes a while back, but I never even tried them and I forgot about them, even forgot what they are. Well, I've been looking for them for 2 days and I finally found them earlier this afternoon.

They don't have any markings that I recognize on them so I still didn't know what they were and I don't have an invoice or anything, I wanted to try one anyway. So I put one of them in V1 on my SC and wow it really sounds good, way better than the Mullard I had in there. So now I'm really curious what they are so I started looking thru emails and finally found where I ordered them last August. Last year was a rough year for me so I wasn't surprised that I didn't remember.

Well, it turns out (you guessed it) they are Vintage German RFT 12ax7s! :facepalm: I've had 2 of them sitting here for almost a year and didn't even know it. :lol::lol::lol: I just busted out laughing when I found out. I remember now that I bought one for my SC and one for my HG plexi. At least now when I get the one I ordered the other day I'll have a back up so it's all good.

You are right sir, it definitely tamed the fizziness in the highs nicely and my SC sounds better than ever. :yesway:

Last edited:

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
Funny story. The other day when I posted that I had ordered an RFT it jogged my memory that I ordered 2 NOS tubes a while back, but I never even tried them and I forgot about them, even forgot what they are. Well, I've been looking for them for 2 days and I finally found them earlier this afternoon.

They don't have any markings that I recognize on them so I still didn't know what they were and I don't have an invoice or anything, I wanted to try one anyway. So I put one of them in V1 on my SC and wow it really sounds good, way better than the Mullard I had in there. So now I'm really curious what they are so I started looking thru emails and finally found where I ordered them last August. Last year was a rough year for me so I wasn't surprised that I didn't remember.

Well, it turns out (you guessed it) they are Vintage German RFT 12ax7s! :facepalm: I've had 2 of them sitting here for almost a year and didn't even know it. :lol::lol::lol: I just busted out laughing when I found out. I remember now that I bought one for my SC and one for my HG plexi. At least now when I get the one I ordered the other day I'll have a back up so it's all good.

You are right sir, it definitely tamed the fizziness in the highs nicely and my SC sounds better than ever. :yesway:
Looks like I need to order one! Looking online, is around $80 at the Tubestore what I should pay? any better prices out there?

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just found this pair of used ones on eBay, they claim they test good. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2563823327...4XH35K&hash=item3bb193ef4b:g:lvgAAOSwNhxlqml9

The Tubestore is about the best price I see otherwise. The ones I bought last year that I forgot about I got 2 NOS for a little less than $90, but I'm not finding any deals like that anywhere now. I paid $60 for the one I bought last week and I thought it was a good price, maybe not?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What speakers are magic? I noticed the treble not playing nice when turned up. I might have to try the SD-1. So far I don’t have the right speakers. I have several. The problem is I have a small room so I doubt I will ever buy a 4 x 12.
Fane 70’s, Mojotone BVH30, or EHV 20 watter(Which is a Celestion Heritage greenback).

Avatar carries the Fane 70 speakers. Got 2 in a Fender Bassbreaker 212. Titz. I really like the Mojo H30’s with the SC too. Can’t go wrong with Heritage Greenbacks.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Fane 70’s, Mojotone BVH30, or EHV 20 watter(Which is a Celestion Heritage greenback).

Avatar carries the Fane 70 speakers. Got 2 in a Fender Bassbreaker 212. Titz. I really like the Mojo H30’s with the SC too. Can’t go wrong with Heritage Greenbacks.
Have you ever tried a G12C?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
^^ I don't know what that "As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases." is or where it came from, I didn't write that and I can't delete it.
I think that, when anyone posts a link to ebay, there's a code added as a redirect. When that redirect is added, then, if someone purchases from that, the site gets a few pennies...

I've had that happen before too & tried to get it to go away.

Many sites are like that though, whether it be your email, or this site. I click on things from my email all the time & it adds the redirect notice. IDK if they get anything though... I'm sure they do...

I know when I get news articles, many x's the page will be behind a paywall, so the article is unreadable. If I look at the url & strip off the redirect, then I can read it, as long as my browser cookies aren't telling it that I have too many visits this month... if that makes sense...

but, at any rate, I'm not aware of many sites who inform you, that, by clicking on the link, that the site gets it's few cents per click, or whatever... The Marshall Forum does. Probably whatever other sister sites we have as well, like TGP, MLP, etc...

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Is anyone using a distortion in front of the low setting / low sensitivity input ?
I am looking at the JOYO distortion. Boss DS clone.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anyone using a distortion in front of the low setting / low sensitivity input ?
I am looking at the JOYO distortion. Boss DS clone.

Not me. I use Low for cleans, mostly. Extra modulation. I occasionally use The Dude, a Dumble style OD. Low gain.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
There must be hundreds (thousands) if not more overdrives and I always knew there were clones of clones of clones but what I learned is the types of overdrives and there are only 5 by design.
JHS video:

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
There was this 1 x 12 Peavey but it sold. Free shipping. To me. Oh , 25w greenback.
View attachment 154873
The Peavey 112-6 is a nice cabinet , it’s well built and the Celestion greenback is the best sounding speaker I have.

If I ever get extra time I might try the cream back but I am happy as is.

IMG_0379.jpeg

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
There was this 1 x 12 Peavey but it sold. Free shipping. To me. Oh , 25w greenback.
View attachment 154873

The Peavey 112-6 is a nice cabinet , it’s well built and the Celestion greenback is the best sounding speaker I have.

If I ever get extra time I might try the cream back but I am happy as is.

View attachment 155663

Oh wow, I complete missed the part where is was sold...to you. lol. I thought you missed out because it was sold. Congrats, glad you like it! ...and it looks good. :thumb:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Oh wow, I complete missed the part where is was sold...to you. lol. I thought you missed out because it was sold. Congrats, glad you like it! ...and it looks good. :thumb:
Yeah, I wondered if someone would miss that little twist. About a week after I got the Peavey a Boogie showed up locally but this was a solid purchase for a decent price shipped. Also the greenback is my favorite speaker at the moment.