Which Studio Model

• Thread starter Bailz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you're not opposed to using the odd pedal, I'd probably lean towards the Classic. You can cover a lot of ground with that. The Vintage can do a lot too, but I think the Classic is probably a better 'allround' amp. If you have the option, by all means try them in a shop, of course.
I have both the 20 watt plexi and 20 watt studio JCM800 I use just a few pedals on either one of them I have a full stack 2-1985 4X10’s it has the full body sound and sounds great in stereo as well if you can’t go and play either at a store
I love them both they our loud if I was playing out
with one ( LIVE ) Studio JCM800 20 watt Or The Plexi 20 watt will meet your needs . The newer DSL2000 as well it’s100 watts but it’s very versatile in the terms of what all you mentioned and sounds killer . I have a 20 watt year 2010 Model JCA22H Jet Cilty That’s modded with all Epic Tones Captain Crunch , Silver Hammer, NFB, Contour , And also front panel foot-switch an I have the foot-switch I added LEDs the head is a beast I will sale if your interested

Attachments

• 0F884422-DEF0-40E6-823F-AD00FC7AEB91.jpeg
    0F884422-DEF0-40E6-823F-AD00FC7AEB91.jpeg
    764.3 KB · Views: 7
  • C3EBBD9D-92FD-4D63-A621-E928577FCD9B.jpeg
    C3EBBD9D-92FD-4D63-A621-E928577FCD9B.jpeg
    583 KB · Views: 7

FrostyTheSnake

Reaction score
Worth mentioning as others have said the loop in the Plexi is not practical if you goose the amp. Distorts for me and makes my delay distorted which I really hate. Up front delay doesn’t work also for me (personal choice). So I do without.

SC20H loop works but is noisy on the one I had. Gave me a buzz which I also was not a fan of. So I use Plexi loop off and Captor X for reverb. Guess I’m not a loop guy. However I bloody love playing the Plexi and the feel of it.

Keysdweller

Reaction score
I ordered all 4 of the Studio amps but have only received the JTM ST20H and the SC20H so far. I really like them both and can't wait to compare all of them together. I also ordered 3 of the Studio 212 cabinets and have only received the SC212 so far. I only ordered 3 of the cabinets because the SC212 and SV212 have the V-Type speakers while the ST212 has Creambacks and the 2536A has G12 Vintage speakers. All of this equipment seems to be high quality, and I have no complaints. The Studio amps are less than half the weight of my JVM 410H Head. The 212 cabinets are a lot less weight than the 412's also. I doubt I will ever play a venue that will need a 100-watt amp and full stack again but I'm still ready if the need calls. I have been told that my SV20 and Mini Silver Jubilee amps along with other Marshall equipment will be here in September and I will return with another report.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I ordered all 4 of the Studio amps but have only received the JTM ST20H and the SC20H so far. I really like them both and can't wait to compare all of them together. I also ordered 3 of the Studio 212 cabinets and have only received the SC212 so far. I only ordered 3 of the cabinets because the SC212 and SV212 have the same speakers while the other two have different speakers. All of this equipment seems to be high quality and I have no complaints.
"Kid in a candy store" comes to mind, have fun with your comparisons. Is the goal to pick one, or are you keeping them all?

Keysdweller

Reaction score
"Kid in a candy store" comes to mind, have fun with your comparisons. Is the goal to pick one, or are you keeping them all?
I plan to keep them all. A couple of musician friends and I are planning to set up a local recording studio later this year. Nothing fancy or outrageous, just a small place for local musicians to play and record. There is nowhere to record here in the Florida Keys. With the Keys being a tourist county loaded with bars and restaurants, there are a thousand or more musicians living here. There are plenty of expensive recording studios in Miami, which is 90 minutes north of the Keys but nothing here. Having a large variety of equipment to use in our studio will be a plus when we start up. Until then, I will still be watching for more quality equipment to go on sale. Yes, like a kid in a candy store even in my older years:)

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
I was at a local Restaurant/beer joint in March that has local cover bands play Saturdays and Sundays and I had just got my hands on my DSL100H a few months earlier and up until then, I had very little experience with real Marshall tube amps. Had been using various modeling options and eventually settling with a Line 6 Stomp XL and played my buddy's a little.

So I got a beer and settled in the back of the courtyard and the guitarist was unbelievable. We know how we are, always measuring up guitarists we see out live. Anyway his tone was absolutely GLORIOUS and his playing was very tight and in the pocket.

From the back, I saw him playing an LP, a small Marshall head through a Marshall vertical 212, and thought it was a Origin 50 and some pedals. He was loud but not too loud compared to the rest of the band and the guitar was cutting through perfectly.

At the first break, as any of us would do, I started working my way up to the front to check out his setup. When I was about half way up, he was walking away from the stage and saw I was heading his way. I was not going to bother him on his break, but he said hi and said "What's up" or "How's it going" and I told him his really enjoyed his tone and his playing. He asked if I played and told him yes but definitely not as good, but maybe one day type small talk, lol. So I asked him if that was an Origin 50 and he said no and come check out his setup.

He showed me his amp and said he had an Origin for a little while but always came back to this one. His setup less amp was pretty basic, him, Gibson STD LP, and no pedals except a tuner.

Then I saw it, an SC20H with a matching 212, and knew at that moment one day I would have one. Needless to say, I started selling some stuff over the next few months that had been collecting dust and once the new pricing hit, I ordered one even thought it was going to take about 90 days to ship. No one in my area had one so I said F-it, and put the money down that I had so far from the sold gear. I can return it within 45 days if it's not for me when it gets here.

Sorry for the long story, but I didn't have anything else to do this morning while I enjoyed my coffee other than wait for my new amp to arrive and tell you about it, lol...
If it's any consolation for your long waiting time, you've convinced me to get an SC20H. There's one available locally for $925, which seems like a great price, so I'm hopping on it asap.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Easily SV20H. I’ve tried them all bar the JTM. Only problem with the SV20H is it’s bloody loud. 5W may work but you need to try before you buy. Preferably with the band. Most shops offer 30 day return window.

SD1 with SV20H is easily gain for any of the bands you mention.
Had an SV20C at one time but just could not tame it to my liking. Now looking at the SC20H...

Keysdweller

Reaction score
I plan to get the KHE Amplifier Cabinet Switcher. This is a handy device if you have multiple amp and cabinets.

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the SC20H loaded with 6550s, a Mr Scary V2 hot mod and I use a John H M2 attenuator into a 212 cab loaded with Creamback 65s. I'm perfectly happy with it, actually more than happy with it. Between the low input for clean tones and great pedal platform to the high input for awesome hard rock or old school metal tones with a boost, I can do anything I've ever wanted with it. It's absolutely the best amp I've ever owned!

Having said that, I read these threads and I can't help it, my curiosity is going to get the best of me eventually and I'm going to have to try an SV with my same setup, just to see how it compares. I'm not even interested in trying the others, I might be shooting myself in the foot by dismissing them, I don't know.

Last edited:

speyfly

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently play a Marshall JVM205H in my covers band, but increasingly intrigued by the Studio Vintage/Classic models as a smaller real-estate upgrade/change.

I'm a huge Gary Moore fan and really dig the sounds he got from his re-issue Superleads. Trouble is, we have to cover ground starting at Tom Petty, Thin Lizzy, through to Whitesnake and on to Metallica.

Which of the Studio range would you recommend and why?

Cheers,
Bailz
I'm a little late to this party,

I've loved my SV 20H from the very first day. It will cover a lot of ground and really does "Plexi" like it's bigger brothers. I have other good amps that are awesome but the one that's always on and ready is the SV, verb and delay in the loop and a very clean mid hump boost in the front if more gain is needed for solos and the like. I know some folks like to add OD's and they're great for shaping tone especially modern hi-gain but with the Studio Vintage for my genre (early blues/rock) the amp will get it done without additional help.

It's a very loud amp so a good attenuator is your friend with this amp. And speakers, so many great speakers and cabs to chose from, so many speaker different mixes to try. I've gone pretty much all 1X12 cabs so I can mix and match speakers with a lot less effort.

Great Thread!

5-19-24 group.JPG

Last edited:

dro

Reaction score
I just got that head. I’m going into a EVH 1x12 cabinet matched at 16ohms. Would the Marshall 1x12 Cabinet be better?
I got the ST112's mainly because they match. I used to use, Greenback loaded Orange 112's in my small footprint amps. I have considered loading Greenbacks into these cabs. I have the speakers, just haven't gotten round to it. Have been playing more acoustic lately.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Yea attenuator/CaptorX and the like is badly needed with the Plexi.

SC20H sounded terrible quiet for me (small and thin when not run hot) so both needed attenuation in my experience.
Thank you for the advice. I'm most likely picking up an SC20H today. Fortunately, I have a Bugera PS1 attenuator, so I'll be sure to run that in between amp and cab.

GuitarGuruLLC

Reaction score
Worth mentioning as others have said the loop in the Plexi is not practical if you goose the amp. Distorts for me and makes my delay distorted which I really hate. Up front delay doesn’t work also for me (personal choice). So I do without.

SC20H loop works but is noisy on the one I had. Gave me a buzz which I also was not a fan of. So I use Plexi loop off and Captor X for reverb. Guess I’m not a loop guy. However I bloody love playing the Plexi and the feel of it.

Wow! That Capictor X Reverb is sweet!

Keysdweller

Reaction score
I'm a little late to this party,

I've loved my SV 20H from the very first day. It will cover a lot of ground and really does "Plexi" like it's bigger brothers. I have other good amps that are awesome but the one that's always on and ready is the SV, verb and delay in the loop and a very clean mid hump boost in the front if more gain is needed for solos and the like. I know some folks like to add OD's and they're great for shaping tone especially modern hi-gain but with the Studio Vintage for my genre (early blues/rock) the amp will get it done without additional help.

It's a very loud amp so a good attenuator is your friend with this amp. And speakers, so many great speakers and cabs to chose from, so many speaker different mixes to try. I've gone pretty much all 1X12 cabs so I can mix and match speakers with a lot less effort.

Great Thread!

View attachment 153210
Nice wall of Amps.

dro

Reaction score
I just got that head. I’m going into a EVH 1x12 cabinet matched at 16ohms. Would the Marshall 1x12 Cabinet be better?
That's a call only you can make.
My 112 cabs used to be the Orange PPC112's .
I liked them because they had a larger inside aera.
The ST112's are open back.
I just wanted the cabs to match the head.