• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

I hate SG’s, there i said it…

• Thread starter Bloodrock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
IMO,

Sometimes the wood blank chosen loses some of its voice, when contoured for a thin body or neck.

I have a bone stock 81 Dean V, that's thin and light and Roars like a 80s Thick Gibson, V or Explorer. Just primo pieces of wood were chosen for the neck and body.

I was taught, if the electric solid body doesn't sound good unplugged, the amplifier can only do so much to enhance it.

When I check out a solid body at the store, they ask me what amp would I like, I decline and evaluate it slowly and unplugged focusing how strong the wood's voice is.
I have a 80’s Dean Baby “V” still sounds good stock old Dimarzio 1 bridge only. I had to paint it because it got damaged. Probably from the heat in SoCal.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I do have to admit, I never wanted an SG they were never on my radar. They became an after thought as a quick Gibson fix cuz I wanted an LP but didn't have the money so I got a faded SG that I quickly learned to love. Fast forward a bunch of years later and got the SG standard I wanted then but couldn't afford, I love both of these guitars! :yesway:

Last edited:

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Many moons ago, I bought a used natural flame top Dean V (a Dean Zelinsky) from Voltage Guitars in Cal.

I was pretty nervous having that guitar in the cargo hold of the jet when I came back to NJ.

It survived and was part of a long ago sell off.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
When I was 13(?), my parents took me to Sam Ash (off Empire Blvd) in Brooklyn.

I could have bought a used white Gibson SG Custom for less than $200.00.

I wanted an amp too and it was too much $'s for my dad to justify.

I could have had a new Fender DeLuxe Reverb for $115.00.

So, we bought a Magnatone Zephyr (white sparkle!!!!) and a Magnatone MP 1 amp.

They're long gone too.:rolleyes:

I saw the error in my ways when, in 1969, I bought a '69 Gibson 335 for $250.00 at Sam Ash on Kings Hwy/Coney Is. Ave, Brooklyn.

Mrs. Ash was still at the cash register.:lol:

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Just shipped off my last SG to its new owner. I don’t know. Compared to a fender it just felt like a piece of cardboard with a neck glued on. I was afraid to play it or lay it down because of the extreme neck/headstock angle and the instable tuning. Felt like it was gonna break just playing it. Lol! So light and whimpy!

Deftone

Reaction score
I never liked SG's...until I played one.

I bought one of the Special Faded SG's when they first came out in 2002, with the cresent moon inlays. $479 for a USA made Gibson. How can you pass that up? I thought I would just leave it at my GF's house or something but I fell in love with that guitar.

SG Faded.JPG
I had it for years. I finally decided I wanted a black one, so I sold it. I still have the black one though.

IMG_1602a.JPG
Also have this '67 jr....

IMG_1946a.JPG
I love SG's.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
A guitar buddy called SG's a "poor man's Les Paul"...............I never saw it that way.

Even though I adore 335's, the SG has a special place.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
I don't hate them. But for me they're kinda like Strats, an interesting extra flavor to have available, but generally speaking I'm good with just having a single iteration, rather than a batch of multiples in different configurations. In fairness, though, the SGs I have owned have all been cheapies, including the current Gibby.

51227157388_33f167452b_b.jpg

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Well over the years I’ve owned probably 5-6 Gibson SG’s and a couple epiphones. My most recent purchase is a basically new condition SG special from the mid 2000’s. Most beautiful guitar I’ve ever owned. Plug it in and it sounds like strings on a tin can. Thin extremely bright tone with no sustain. I even swapped the 490 pickups with 57 classics like i have in my Les Paul an love. Nope, still thin, shrill, and dead sounding. I guess I’m just never gonna be an SG guy. Every one I’ve had either sounds like garbage or has horrible neck dive i can’t stand. Oh well!
I've had a gaggle of SG's. There was a '73 SG Custom I hated but other than that I've liked them all. There must be something wrong with your wiring if it sounds thin or tinny (or the bridge?); that's odd as they usually have a mid focus with more controlled high end than Les Pauls. What I can't stand are the '57 and 490 pickups - dull dead tone - no use for 'em. In fact they are about the same pickup. Right now I have a 2012 Standard I love, a little heavy with NO neck dive, a DiMarzio set I put together. Also a 2019 Junior, stock pickup, feather light, a tiny bit of neck dive - you have to make it do it on purpose. Both incredible guitars.

johnny q

Reaction score
As iconic as they are, I don't like SGs either. It's an aesthetics thing though, the whole "pizza paddle" design. Tonewise, well you can't argue with the sounds Clapton and Angus got now can you? :)

I recall Alex Lifeson using one for the first time, I think it was to play the song "Roll The Bones" live and later to play some of the songs off Rush's Feedback. I was not a happy camper :)

jgab

Reaction score
Yes aesthetically they are a turn-off. I never touched one for years, then I picked up the 61' at the guitar shop and I am glad I did. The rest is history. Might be the last guitar out of my bunch that I would sell.

I should have paid attention to people I thought had great tone with SG's. Jason Farrell from Bluetip, Ian MacKaye from Fugazi, and of course Angus.

Townsendspecial

Reaction score
My SG used to need tuning every few songs, but ever since I ran it over with my Oldsmobile, had it repaired, dropped it and broke the headstock off for the second time, (I have a great luthier), it stays in tune for days. Still my go-to axe. You guys with tuning issues should try out my repair procedure!

Latest posts