I Only Want a Fret Job With a Happy Ending.

• Thread starter ElKabong
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElKabong

Reaction score
So I bought this '75 LPC almost new in '76 and have played the snot out of it since then. The neck finish is not pristine. That's OK. But the frets are pretty worn. So, I contacted Gibson on the cost of a new fret-job. It's like a $grand that I would happily pay.

I'm thinking about driving this thing personally down to Memphis and sitting in the waiting room while the work is done. I'm thinking about breathing down the neck of the guy while he's refretting my baby. Am I wrong? I've never had a guitar refretted. Any regrets out there?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
will they plek it?

there's that guy in Nashville, that does plek, that supposedly does the best fret work, maybe get a quote from him...

Im247frogs

Reaction score
If it needs new frets it needs new frets. Do you really think taking it to Gibson is the way to go? there has to be someone else that can do the work just fine. Expect a wait. There's 1000's of guitars in the repair queue in NYC since covid started. Neither Gibson or anyone else will let you camp in their shop or parking lot.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
will they plek it?

there's that guy in Nashville, that does plek, that supposedly does the best fret work, maybe get a quote from him...

here you can find a pleker...

Glaser is the TN guy. I see Sweetwater does plek, in-house too... not sure if they have a full re-fret service though.

RLW59

Reaction score
Does the Gibson quote include saving the nibs (fret end binding)? That's a high price even for saving the nibs, but insanely high if they're gonna lose the nibs and extend the frets over the binding.

ElKabong

Reaction score
will they plek it?

Yeah, it will be plecked. He quoted me a grand. This guitar, in particular, I don't think I'd trust to anybody else.

NickkiC

Reaction score
Is that quoted price for stainless steel frets? I had a ‘78 done with stainless steel, nut, Plek , new bridge & tailpiece back in late 2020. In shop for 8 weeks =$700. I supplied the bridge & tail, nibs are gone.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
RetroFret in Brooklyn has a waiting list till the first week of august just for initial consultations. Didn’t get a price but I’m assuming w the idiotically high end sales they do, their fret work must be top notch

ElKabong

Reaction score
RetroFret in Brooklyn has a waiting list till the first week of august just for initial consultations. Didn’t get a price but I’m assuming w the idiotically high end sales they do, their fret work must be top notch
Never heard of them.
If it needs new frets it needs new frets. Do you really think taking it to Gibson is the way to go? there has to be someone else that can do the work just fine. Expect a wait. There's 1000's of guitars in the repair queue in NYC since covid started. Neither Gibson or anyone else will let you camp in their shop or parking lot.
That's OK, I'll be waiting across the street 🤣

Attachments

• 200w.gif
    200w.gif
    568.5 KB · Views: 12

NickkiC

Reaction score
I can relate. Personally, I go through love/hate periods with the re frets on my guitars. The "newness feel" of the frets and finger board takes a while for myself to reunite with them, playing wise. Just a matter of breaking, playing the new work bak in tune.