I think I bought the wrong Cabs.

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I also prefer 2 1x12 cabs over a 2x12. I also got rid of my last 4x12 several months back. I just prefer a pair of 1x12's. I think it's because they are each in their own space that makes them sound better to my ears. One thing I wouldn't mind trying is a 2x12 with only one speaker and the other speaker replaced with a passive radiator. I've never heard of or seen anyone do it before but think it would have great results.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
See post #47 above.

I do think I need to try a V30. All I've ever tried is a 10" V-type and a WGS Veteran that's supposed to be a better version of it. I don't think that counts. I've always been under the assumption that V30s are bright with harsh spikey highs so I've never given them a second look. Is that not true?
It depends on the amp and settings but in general V30s are not harsh with Marshalls. Obviously you need to EQ the amp a bit different, but that's true with any speakers.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, just thinking out loud here...

Even though I said my Sourmash cab sounds good with the Creamback in it, I still don't like the looks of it and after playing it for a couple of days there is something about the sound I don't like and I just want to replace it with something else. The MX 112 cab sounds better than the MX 212, but it's a fizzy mess and I'm not keeping it either.

So, I'm getting overwhelmed looking at speaker cab options. I want to just buy a really good cab (or 2) and quit jacking around with the cheap shit. If I buy a 112 I'll want 2 of them to match. One problem I'm having is that my Lil' Devil head is 21" wide and most 112 cabs seem to be only 20 wide and that won't work. Mojotone seems to make the only 112 cabs that I like the looks of and the Heritage 112 cab is 22" wide, perfect, but I don't know anything about the quality of Mojotone cabs and no way to try one out.

If I go with a better 212 I'm wondering if a Marshall cab will be my best choice. I'm not convince the Studio cabs are as good as a 1936 and they're actually just less than 21" wide, not sure if it'll matter, but that's cutting it a little close, my head will be slightly wider.. Does anyone make a better 1936? I read where build quality is hit or miss on the 1936 cabs and I read that here. Are Mojotone cabs as good as they claim to be, or are there a better options out there. Again, it's got to have a look I like, I'm picky.

I would just get with Sourmash again if I wasn't so unhappy with the cab I already have.

Another thing I've been thinking is it would be a whole lot easier on me if I could just load up all my cabs and take them to GC (take my loss) and trade them in for a better Marshall cab, but then there's the whole back order thing and I need this to happen much quicker than that.

:run:

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Even though I said my Sourmash cab sounds good with the Creamback in it, I still don't like the looks of it and after playing it for a couple of days there is something about the sound I don't like and I just want to replace it with something else. The MX 112 cab sounds better than the MX 212, but it's a fizzy mess and I'm not keeping it either.

So, I'm getting overwhelmed looking at speaker cab options. I want to just buy a really good cab (or 2) and quit jacking around with the cheap shit. If I buy a 112 I'll want 2 of them to match. One problem I'm having is that my Lil' Devil head is 21" wide and most 112 cabs seem to be only 20 wide and that won't work. Mojotone seems to make the only 112 cabs that I like the looks of and the Heritage 112 cab is 22" wide, perfect, but I don't know anything about the quality of Mojotone cabs and no way to try one out.

If I go with a better 212 I'm wondering if a Marshall cab will be my best choice. I'm not convince the Studio cabs are as good as a 1936. Does anyone make a better 1936? I read where build quality is hit or miss on the 1936 cabs and I read that here. Are Mojotone cabs as good as they claim to be, or are there a better options out there. Again, it's got to have a look I like, I'm picky.

I would just get with Sourmash again if I wasn't so unhappy with the cab I already have.

Another thing I've been thinking is it would be a whole lot easier on me if I could just load up all my cabs and take them to GC (take my loss) and trade them in for a better Marshall cab, but then there's the whole back order thing and I need this to happen much quicker than that.

Steve sorry for the delay, I'll get the speaker in the mail tomorrow, been busy at work. I'll tell ya, I've built all my cabs and did alot of R&D in the process and found that a cab has to have a mix of ply (good quality, 9 or more layers) and MDF. 2X12 is gonna sound way better than 1x12, I found that a 1936 sized cab is perfect. Look for a current production 1936, they are ply box and I believe MDF back. I built a pair of 1936 cabs and they both sound great.

v80tBjY.jpeg

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I go with a better 212 I'm wondering if a Marshall cab will be my best choice. I'm not convince the Studio cabs are as good as a 1936. Does anyone make a better 1936? I read where build quality is hit or miss on the 1936 cabs and I read that here. Are Mojotone cabs as good as they claim to be, or are there a better options out there. Again, it's got to have a look I like, I'm picky.

MX112's are small, and I don't think the SC/SV112's are much different.
I've migrated to larger 112's, but mine are mostly either home builds or mods.

1936 cabs are almost the same footprint as a 1960.
My 1922 2x12 is not as big, but still 26" wide.
Have you considered the slant 1966?
They are a 24" square.

Only Mojotone I've had was a headshell that I didn't keep because of the carbon fiber tolex.
Nice build quality (imo), but I obviously can't say much about the tone of a head shell...

jeffb

Reaction score
Creambacks (M65 & H75) get mixed reviews from me.

I think they both take FOREVER to break in, compared to the 20/25W Ms and 30W Hs (and even the V30).

I sort of liked the M65 with my DSL40C in the combo cab but it was distant and muffled sounding in my EVH 2x12. The H75 did not sound good in the combo cab for me, and sounded much better in the 2x12.

Around the time I was also using 70th Annis and experimenting with Mojotone and WGS H30 clones. Once broken in, I think the 70th Annis sounded better than the H75, and the Mojotone H30 sounded better than all of them (but the now defunct heritage greenback H30s, both varieties, sound better to me than all of the previously mentioned) . But I also suffered some mild hearing loss in my left ear after using 70th anni H30s for an extended time- there is a spike in those that will absolutely wreck you if you are not careful. All the others are less aggressive (except for maybe the Reaper).

Bottom line- Ifeel you need to voice an amp and cab from the get-go around a creamback, either variety, for best results, otherwise they are very finnicky.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Steve sorry for the delay, I'll get the speaker in the mail tomorrow, been busy at work. I'll tell ya, I've built all my cabs and did alot of R&D in the process and found that a cab has to have a mix of ply (good quality, 9 or more layers) and MDF. 2X12 is gonna sound way better than 1x12, I found that a 1936 sized cab is perfect. Look for a current production 1936, they are ply box and I believe MDF back. I built a pair of 1936 cabs and they both sound great.

v80tBjY.jpeg
No worries, brother. I told you I'm in no hurry. :thumb:

I was just wondering if putting a MDF back on my Sourmash 112 might help, but like I said I don't like it and I don't know if I want to invest in trying to "fix" it. I wonder if I put some kind of padding, styrofoam or something on the inside of the back panel if it might help with the spikey highs on that cab. That's really my biggest problem with it. Still, I'm already missing the bigger sound of the 212.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
MX112's are small, and I don't think the SC/SV112's are much different.
I've migrated to larger 112's, but mine are mostly either home builds or mods.

1936 cabs are almost the same footprint as a 1960.
My 1922 2x12 is not as big, but still 26" wide.
Have you considered the slant 1966?
They are a 24" square.

Only Mojotone I've had was a headshell that I didn't keep because of the carbon fiber tolex.
Nice build quality (imo), but I obviously can't say much about the tone of a head shell...

I've ruled out the Studio 112s because of their small size. I forgot about the 1966, I'm gonna give those another look. They're almost the same size as my Sourmash cab, just 2" taller. That I could definitely work with!

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Creambacks (M65 & H75) get mixed reviews from me.

I think they both take FOREVER to break in, compared to the 20/25W Ms and 30W Hs (and even the V30).

I sort of liked the M65 with my DSL40C in the combo cab but it was distant and muffled sounding in my EVH 2x12. The H75 did not sound good in the combo cab for me, and sounded much better in the 2x12.

Around the time I was also using 70th Annis and experimenting with Mojotone and WGS H30 clones. Once broken in, I think the 70th Annis sounded better than the H75, and the Mojotone H30 sounded better than all of them (but the now defunct heritage greenback H30s, both varieties, sound better to me than all of the previously mentioned) . But I also suffered some mild hearing loss in my left ear after using 70th anni H30s for an extended time- there is a spike in those that will absolutely wreck you if you are not careful. All the others are less aggressive (except for maybe the Reaper).

Bottom line- Ifeel you need to voice an amp and cab from the get-go around a creamback, either variety, for best results, otherwise they are very finnicky.
Yeah, I'm lot really liking the 65 in my MX cab. At first I thought I did, but after playing it in that cab for a couple of days the fizziness is getting to me. My sourmash cab isn't fizzy, but it's got some really bright spikey highs.

I'm not sure about anything speaker wise right now. I need to run thru them all again after I get a decent cab.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at the 1936 cabs that are out there for sale it looks like it's a crap shoot. A lot of them are the 900s that were all MDF and the decent looking ones they want way too much to ship them. The new ones are on back order like everything else. I can get a Mojotone 1936 equivalent much quicker and cheaper, but I won't be able to trade in for it.

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I go with a better 212 I'm wondering if a Marshall cab will be my best choice. I'm not convince the Studio cabs are as good as a 1936 and they're actually just less than 21" wide, not sure if it'll matter, but that's cutting it a little close, my head will be slightly wider.. Does anyone make a better 1936? I read where build quality is hit or miss on the 1936 cabs and I read that here. Are Mojotone cabs as good as they claim to be, or are there a better options out there. Again, it's got to have a look I like, I'm picky.

I've stood in Mojotone's cabinet making shop. First class work all the way!! I wouldn't hesitate.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the 1936 cabs that are out there for sale it looks like it's a crap shoot. A lot of them are the 900s that were all MDF and the decent looking ones they want way too much to ship them. The new ones are on back order like everything else. I can get a Mojotone 1936 equivalent much quicker and cheaper, but I won't be able to trade in for it.
Have you tried / ever had any luck selling gear local on CL?
I've unloaded a few things at way more than GC trade-in, and no fees.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've stood in Mojotone's cabinet making shop. First class work all the way!! I wouldn't hesitate.
That's what I was waiting for! I'm all but ready to pull the trigger on either the Heritage 112 or the Twin Canyon 212, their take on the 1936. Just not sure yet if I want another 212 or (2) 112s.

I'm thinking if I go ahead and get a 212 then I'll be set with a main cab, then I can experiment with getting my current 112s to sound better.

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried / ever had any luck selling gear local on CL?
I've unloaded a few things at way more than GC trade-in, and no fees.

Not yet, but that will be my first move if I decide to sell. I'm also going to list my LP Standard and the way things are going possibly my SC20H. I would ship the SC, but I'm not shipping a guitar, I'll trade it in if I can't sell it local.

Then I'm going to get a new black head box made for my Lil' Devil, or see if I can get the one I have retolexed. Not something I want to take on myself.

I've also got some pickups, a few pedals and some guitar parts to sell and eventually (once I figure out what I'm keeping) some speakers. I'm about to clean house!

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
No worries, brother. I told you I'm in no hurry. :thumb:

I was just wondering if putting a MDF back on my Sourmash 112 might help, but like I said I don't like it and I don't know if I want to invest in trying to "fix" it. I wonder if I put some kind of padding, styrofoam or something on the inside of the back panel if it might help with the spikey highs on that cab. That's really my biggest problem with it. Still, I'm already missing the bigger sound of the 212.
To my ears an all ply cab is boxy sounding, so an MDF back is the secret sauce to get the tone right. I say find a proper 1936 and if you like it get rid of all the other cabs. Paint the Lil Devil tolex black to match.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
To my ears an all ply cab is boxy sounding, so an MDF back is the secret sauce to get the tone right. I say find a proper 1936 and if you like it get rid of all the other cabs. Paint the Lil Devil tolex black to match.
Yes, my plan is to turn that white box black, either by having a new one made or getting the current one redone in black tolex. I'm over the white, that was my thing 10 years ago and now I can't hardly stand it.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score

Ok Paul, you've finally convinced me to experiment. I see I can buy a 24"x48"x1/2" sheet of MDF at lows for about 25 bucks. I know I can have them cut it down for me, but depending on who does the cutting it's a crap shoot as to if it will be square or not, so... How hard is MDF to cut? Do you think I could cut a straight line with a jigsaw? That's all I've got. I guess it doesn't have to be perfect as long as it fits. I want to put an MDF back on my Sourmash cab and see if it makes it a keeper.

Also, do you think blocking the ports on my MX cab might help with the fizziness? it has 2 small ports on the baffle on opposite corners. I might try blocking those ports just to hear what it does.

And fuck, if I'm going to do all that I might as well try a plywood back on my MX 212 cab before I give up on it.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, do you think blocking the ports on my MX cab might help with the fizziness? it has 2 small ports on the baffle on opposite corners. I might try blocking those ports just to hear what it does.
Those ports add low frequency volume.
Blocking them will make the cab more treble-y.
Fizziness may be more of a vibration from something.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Ok Paul, you've finally convinced me to experiment. I see I can by a 24"x48"x1/2" sheet of MDF at lows for about 25 bucks. I know I can have them cut it down for me, but depending on who does the cutting it's a crap shoot at to if it will be square or not, so... How hard is MDF to cut? Do you think I could cut a straight line with a jigsaw? That's all I've got. I guess it doesn't have to be perfect as long as it fits. I want to put an MDF back on my Sourmash cab and see if it makes it a keeper.

Experiment, experiment, experiment! That's the only way to find out if you like something or you don't! :yesway: