I think that the 2203/2204 is the greatest amp ever made

• Thread starter richieG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeydudeitsDanny

Reaction score
It's gotten so off topic, but I need to chime in. Lester was talking about "virtuosity," and by the definition of the word, his players fit the bill better without a doubt. He wasn't arguing they were BETTER (although he may or may not think they are..that much is opinion), but rather that they were VIRTUOSOS more-so than Page, etc. I really don't think you can argue that point. They clearly are!

problem is: i think all "his players"...pretty much suck, and that this 'virtuosity' thing sucks aswell...but that's my opinion, which i'm entitled to have..and if he thinks the exact opposite, that's 100% ok..

but he came with the 'kids nowadays' bs...gimme a break, hey bro, you can play guitar..so can i!
i'd never talk to you like that..

peace :hippie:

clw54

Reaction score
A+] I don't think the nOOb knows what he's talking about, overall theres never been a decade where guitar tone has dramatically evolved so much like teH 80's.

The 60s have to take that one. In about 6 years time, guitars went from clean to downright psychedelic. By '67 and '68 Hendrix and Blue Cheer were producing sounds like nobody before them. Just a few years before, surf music had been popular. Terry Kath of Chicago did Free Form Guitar in 1969. Jefferson Airplane did the two Pooneil songs. And there weren't a lot of effects other than fuzz boxes at the time. I like it all, including surf music. And there was the opening to Magic Carpet Ride in 1968.

Don't get me wrong, the 80s saw a lot of changes, but the latter half of the 60s drastically changed the way electric guitars were used.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
problem is: i think all "his players"...pretty much suck, and that this 'virtuosity' thing sucks aswell...but that's my opinion, which i'm entitled to have..and if he thinks the exact opposite, that's 100% ok..

but he came with the 'kids nowadays' bs...gimme a break, hey bro, you can play guitar..so can i!
i'd never talk to you like that..

peace :hippie:

Chuck nailed it when he said this...

It's gotten so off topic, but I need to chime in. Lester was talking about "virtuosity," and by the definition of the word, his players fit the bill better without a doubt. He wasn't arguing they were BETTER (although he may or may not think they are..that much is opinion), but rather that they were VIRTUOSOS more-so than Page, etc. I really don't think you can argue that point. They clearly are!

Thats all i ment,....

The guys you listed, page, The Clap, Hendrix or whoever,....those guys are PIONEERS and basically laid the ground work for what IS rock and roll.

IN NO WAY am i saying one is 'better' or 'cooler' than the other.....the guys from the 60's and 70's are some of my fav players ever,.....but the guys from the 80's took it [by IT, i mean guitar playing,...technique,...and knowledge] to an whole other level. BUT- without the orig pioneers laying the groundwork, the 80's guys wouldn't have had a foundation to build on, therefor probably never became the virtuoso's that they became.

Page, clapton, harrison, nugent, iommi, montrose, those guys were great visionaries- WITH AMAZING SONGWRIGHTING SKILLS and will always go down in history as THE greats..... But guitar virtuoso's they were not.

A virtuoso is a master of his instrument and can make it do anything he wants...can reproduce any sound or melody he hears in his head, knows all the theory AND has the technique to kick ass in any situation,....classical, rock, jazz,...whatever the case may be.

So while page and iommi ect came up with some of the 'coolist' riffs of all time, and pretty much invented rock and roll,....they were very limited in their knowledge and technique. These guys hardly ventured outside the pentatonic box - YES INDEED they did amazing things with what limited knowledge they had,....but virtuoso guitarists they were not. If you threw Clap an chord progression much more complex than I IV V he wouldn't know whether to wipe his ass or wind his watch,....so he'd probably end up trying to fit all his old pentatonic licks in the best he could and be done with it.

I was about to retract/appologize for the 'kid's these days' comment,....untill you said that all the guys I listed SUCK!?! I mean, seriously? you think Steve Vai actually sucks as a guitarist? Malmsteen.......SUCKS????? Comon bro these guys can play circles around most other players IN THE WORLD....

You may not dig the music they write, and that's totally understandable,....THAT part IS a matter of opinion,...I mean, I fucking HATE country music,....can not stand to listen to 10 seconds of the shit,....but Brad Paisley,...Vince Gill, ...Will Lee,...ect,...those guys are MONSTER guitar players,...absolutely AMAZING and I have utmost respect for how much ass they can kick,....i just don't like listening to the songs.....but I, or anyone else that knows anything about music, can't say they 'suck', without sounding like......um,......well, i don't wanna say dumbass.......but perhaps somewhat cluless as to what real talent is,.....or perhaps too immature to realize the difference between something that sucks and something that simply doesn't appeal to their taste.

But don't sweat it bro,....believe me, we were ALL kids at one time. I remember a time when I thought Elvis sucked....lol

:hippie:

Slammintone

Reaction score
I'm a total convert to the 2203/2204 way. I mean, the quality of sounds and the low to high range of volume that these amps give up those great sounds just ice's it for me. On another forum I wrote how my 2204 got the Scorpions Blackout album tones perfectly. I know/knew the Scorps used 1987 4holers for that album and others but I could never get those sounds in the 1987x 1987xl amps I've owned or played. I could get some great sounds from them bad boys but as I wrote, those amps got me more of a singing Van Halen type crunch rather than the vicious Scorpions smack I always held in high regard. But I can get a JCM800 2204 to give up that wicked range of tones all day. And without having to use a tone sucking, bottom flabbing attenuator! 2203s/2204s are just so much more user friendly and lets face it, they're a lot easier on power tubes and output transformers because you dont have to dime the amp for it to sound awesome.

Another point I made in the case for the Plexi type 1987s 1959s is that yes, when you dime them they have a smooth spongy feel and a more expressive quality when soloing than the MV amps. They also clean up nicer with the guitars vol. knob. They're fun too but to spend the money for a good one then destroy a good part of that tone with an attenuator you have to spend over $350 for just so's you can actually use the amps kind of lessens the appeal to a degree. I'll always like this type of amp but I may not always own one at any given time like I will with the 2203/2204 amps!

plexilespaul

Reaction score
the 2204/3 (jmp's and jcm's same thing for me) are dream amps...damn i feel those amps have personality...
i think they represent the essence of electric guitar. i remember the first time i really wanted to play electric guitar was when i heard saxon's opening A chord for wheels of steel back the early 80's. that opening chord did it for me. before i listend to a lot of rock bands but non of them got me saving up babysitting for a whole summer to buy my first electric guitar and later on my first 10 watt little solid state marshall amp to go along with it (which sounded pretty good)

HeydudeitsDanny

Reaction score
Chuck nailed it when he said this...

Thats all i ment,....

The guys you listed, page, The Clap, Hendrix or whoever,....those guys are PIONEERS and basically laid the ground work for what IS rock and roll.

IN NO WAY am i saying one is 'better' or 'cooler' than the other.....the guys from the 60's and 70's are some of my fav players ever,.....but the guys from the 80's took it [by IT, i mean guitar playing,...technique,...and knowledge] to an whole other level. BUT- without the orig pioneers laying the groundwork, the 80's guys wouldn't have had a foundation to build on, therefor probably never became the virtuoso's that they became.

Page, clapton, harrison, nugent, iommi, montrose, those guys were great visionaries- WITH AMAZING SONGWRIGHTING SKILLS and will always go down in history as THE greats..... But guitar virtuoso's they were not.

A virtuoso is a master of his instrument and can make it do anything he wants...can reproduce any sound or melody he hears in his head, knows all the theory AND has the technique to kick ass in any situation,....classical, rock, jazz,...whatever the case may be.

So while page and iommi ect came up with some of the 'coolist' riffs of all time, and pretty much invented rock and roll,....they were very limited in their knowledge and technique. These guys hardly ventured outside the pentatonic box - YES INDEED they did amazing things with what limited knowledge they had,....but virtuoso guitarists they were not. If you threw Clap an chord progression much more complex than I IV V he wouldn't know whether to wipe his ass or wind his watch,....so he'd probably end up trying to fit all his old pentatonic licks in the best he could and be done with it.

I was about to retract/appologize for the 'kid's these days' comment,....untill you said that all the guys I listed SUCK!?! I mean, seriously? you think Steve Vai actually sucks as a guitarist? Malmsteen.......SUCKS????? Comon bro these guys can play circles around most other players IN THE WORLD....

You may not dig the music they write, and that's totally understandable,....THAT part IS a matter of opinion,...I mean, I fucking HATE country music,....can not stand to listen to 10 seconds of the shit,....but Brad Paisley,...Vince Gill, ...Will Lee,...ect,...those guys are MONSTER guitar players,...absolutely AMAZING and I have utmost respect for how much ass they can kick,....i just don't like listening to the songs.....but I, or anyone else that knows anything about music, can't say they 'suck', without sounding like......um,......well, i don't wanna say dumbass.......but perhaps somewhat cluless as to what real talent is,.....or perhaps too immature to realize the difference between something that sucks and something that simply doesn't appeal to their taste.

But don't sweat it bro,....believe me, we were ALL kids at one time. I remember a time when I thought Elvis sucked....lol

:hippie:

you aint getting my point, i said they suck in my opinion, and boy, do i think they suck.... besides, guitar is all about songwriting skills, about emotions..not about how fast one plays.., and again, if you dont think so..that's ok, i respect your point of view :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7-EEGiABBU]Jethro Tull- Aqualung - YouTube[/ame]

but i'd rather stay a "kid" forever than sticking to this 'i cant stand one's music, but i gotta admit, he's so damn good!' train of thought

back to topic, yeah, 2203/2204 are fucking monsters, do you guys like the 2203 RI?

Wiseblood

Reaction score
you aint getting my point, i said they suck in my opinion, and boy, do i think they suck.... besides, guitar is all about songwriting skills, about emotions..not about how fast one plays.., and again, if you dont think so..that's ok, i respect your point of view :)

Jethro Tull- Aqualung - YouTube

but i'd rather stay a "kid" forever than sticking to this 'i cant stand one's music, but i gotta admit, he's so damn good!' train of thought

back to topic, yeah, 2203/2204 are fucking monsters, do you guys like the 2203 RI?

Regarding opinion, obviously everyone is entitled to their own. But I think the main point being made that needs to be understood is that these players Wycked Lester mentioned are limitless. Yes you can dislike the music they produce, but you cannot deny the fact that they have mastered their instrument.

Try and step inside their mind for a sec and imagine being able to reproduce any sound or combination of licks/scales effortlessly without any limitations or hesitations - writing a simple catchy song that "most" people may enjoy won't intrigue players like Malmsteen and Vai at there level there's no brain stimulation for them to write in that musical direction. Don't think for one minute they are not capable, but see, that's what it sounds like your saying when you say they suck.

Take any of your favorite guitarists (whoever they may be) there must be certain songs or phrases that you don't like, when you listen to those songs or phrases can you say they suck because they wrote something you don't like?

It's more about looking at how they play the instrument and what their capabilities are versus whether or not you (or anyone) enjoys the music, there will always be many people who like it and many who don't - the players skill level remains unchanged or affected by ones opinion.

Not trying to single you out at all brother, just shedding some light on the topic. :hippie:

trigmachine

Reaction score
a very good amp I dont think the best amp though, other that I think are on par with it for different reasons are a Selmer trebble & bass, Tone king galaxy, Fuchs tripple drive supreme, Orange or120, JMP and my handwired PP18 handwired clone.

Pleximan

Reaction score
Agreed.....2203x or no x kills every amp ever made with its brute force and attitude...Mine sounds freakin awesome with boost in front and delay in the loop... It is the weapon of choice....

Adrian R

Reaction score
virtuosity of the 80s?
i wasnt born then, but srlsy..80s musically sucked...try the 70s with jethro tull, zep, aerosmith and skynyrd

:wtf:! Is it TOOL time? Dude, okay, yea, we all have opinions..and you of course are entirely allowed yours as well, but be prepared to encounter a fair deal of flack by such an inane statement...

The 80s saw the dawn of some of the GREATEST metal ever produced...hmm lets see...

Ozzy, Maiden, Slayer, Accept..METALLICA, MEGA-FUCKING-DETH...Anthrax, Pan-fucking-tera...etc., etc., etc., INSANELY HUGE, INSPIRATIONAL, GROUND BREAKING, game changing guitar players that evolved..hmmmm..lets see...

Randy..RHODES
Malmsteen..
Van-Halen..(although started late 70s)
P. Gilbert
V. Moore
Dimebag
E. Johnson
Satch
FUCKING VAI
Slash
V. Cambell
Wolf Hoffman
S. Stevens

and a ton more...

Suggest you revisit this idiom, reload, and hopefully return ENLIGHTENED!

btw...the 70s were very awesome too! A decade of COMPLETE originality, and a time when incredible vocalist were a dime a dozen..

plexilespaul

Reaction score
:wtf:! Is it tool time? Dude, okay, yea, we all have opinions..and you of course are entirely allowed yours as well, but be prepared to encounter a fair deal of flack by such an inane statement...

The 80s saw the dawn of some of the greatest metal ever produced...hmm lets see...

Ozzy, maiden, slayer, accept..metallica, mega-fucking-deth...anthrax, pan-fucking-tera...etc., etc., etc., insanely huge, inspirational, ground breaking, game changing guitar players that evolved..hmmmm..lets see...

Randy..rhodes
malmsteen..
Van-halen..(although started late 70s)
p. Gilbert
v. Moore
dimebag
e. Johnson
satch
fucking vai
slash
v. Cambell
wolf hoffman
s. Stevens

and a ton more...

Suggest you revisit this idiom, reload, and hopefully return enlightened!

Btw...the 70s were very awesome too! A decade of complete originality, and a time when incredible vocalist were a dime a dozen..
+++++++++ amen bro

Adrian R

Reaction score
Thats all i ment,....

:hippie:[/QUOTE]

+several thousand light years...:dude:

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:wtf:! Is it TOOL time? Dude, okay, yea, we all have opinions..and you of course are entirely allowed yours as well, but be prepared to encounter a fair deal of flack by such an inane statement...

The 80s saw the dawn of some of the GREATEST metal ever produced...hmm lets see...

Ozzy, Maiden, Slayer, Accept..METALLICA, MEGA-FUCKING-DETH...Anthrax, Pan-fucking-tera...etc., etc., etc., INSANELY HUGE, INSPIRATIONAL, GROUND BREAKING, game changing guitar players that evolved..hmmmm..lets see...

Randy..RHODES
Malmsteen..
Van-Halen..(although started late 70s)
P. Gilbert
V. Moore
Dimebag
E. Johnson
Satch
FUCKING VAI
Slash
V. Cambell
Wolf Hoffman
S. Stevens

and a ton more...

Suggest you revisit this idiom, reload, and hopefully return ENLIGHTENED!

btw...the 70s were very awesome too! A decade of COMPLETE originality, and a time when incredible vocalist were a dime a dozen..

I'll Back him up on this statement. As far as I'm concerned music hasn't been SHIT since the 70's. And I can't stand fucking Metal. meedely-meedely assed Shit. The only player out of that list I like is Steve Stevens, and Maybe Randy.

This is just MY opinion and for me, it's the only one that counts.

HUMBLE PIE RULES.

:):) TWIN