Ibanez RG550 Genesis

• Thread starter Richie612
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Richie612

Reaction score
The S1 pickup in the middle position, what's the deal with it?!

It seems to be noiseless but I can't find anything about its description to say so.

Not complaining at all I just wonder how Ibanez can make them so quiet (if it's not noiseless)

Moony

Reaction score
I think the newer Genesis RG550s are better than the older one.
They have better laminated necks and the nut is screwed from above into the neck, so it doesn't have those awful holes on the back which are prone for cracking.

And I think the Genesis RG565 is at least as good as the RG550.
I'm not a fan of the orange and emerald green colors though but you can also get them in laser blue and vampire kiss (which is kind of a violet).

I'm really thinking about getting one once the nicer colors are available here.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I think the newer Genesis RG550s are better than the older one.
They have better laminated necks and the nut is screwed from above into the neck, so it doesn't have those awful holes on the back which are prone for cracking.

And I think the Genesis RG565 is at least as good as the RG550.
I'm not a fan of the orange and emerald green colors though but you can also get them in laser blue and vampire kiss (which is kind of a violet).

I'm really thinking about getting one once the nicer colors are available here.

looks to be the same minus the middle pup.
i like the oldschool originals personally
but the Gen series is nice just the same.
i also like the 470's and the Sabre as well.

Moony

Reaction score
Best thing is they are made in Japan, cost under a grand and they still use the old glorious Edge vibrato - and not the Edge II or Edge Zero.
I mean I really like the MIM Charvel Pro-Mods too but when it comes to the vibrato the Edge has the edge. :D

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
got my hands on a Nita Strauss the other day.
nothing to special but very nice as expected.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Best thing is they are made in Japan, cost under a grand and they still use the old glorious Edge vibrato - and not the Edge II or Edge Zero.
I mean I really like the MIM Charvel Pro-Mods too but when it comes to the vibrato the Edge has the edge. :D
yes for me my ibanez have to be made in Japan. the edge trems are top notch indeed.
i like the mim charvel's but collect the oldschool versions. they just feel better to me
and i grew up with them.

Moony

Reaction score
The neon colors sold very well a few years ago, when the re-released them.
I remember literally hundreds of YT videos, not only from NAMM 2016 but also from guys who had bought one.
I had a rocket red So-Cal here, that was a really bright color.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
The neon colors sold very well a few years ago, when the re-released them.
I remember literally hundreds of YT videos, not only from NAMM 2016 but also from guys who had bought one.
I had a rocket red So-Cal here, that was a really bright color.
yeah thats how they brought the line back out is with those colors.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Had an 87 550 and now have a 21 Genesis. Both are great! (have a 2003 1570 Prestige as well) I lower the single coil down and out the way.
lol a lot of folks do that. i dont have any issues with it where its at but thats just me.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
The S1 pickup in the middle position, what's the deal with it?!

It seems to be noiseless but I can't find anything about its description to say so.

Not complaining at all I just wonder how Ibanez can make them so quiet (if it's not noiseless)

I bought one of those - the purple neon one. Man, what a great guitar. I wanted to keep it so bad, I really really tried... if only the neck was a little fatter - that Super Wizard is as thin as a ruler below the 5th fret, and for me, it wasn't even playable. I had to return it.

I assume you're talking about the 550 Genesis Collection? If so, then this:

EDIT: sorry, I underscored the wrong pickup, the middle is below that obviously:

1652182413001.png

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
The Sabre is nice! < @Vinsanitizer would never like that by his thin as a ruler neck standards.

Reverse HS guitars look great.
565's get closer to the 570 series, a little different to the 550 as you move up through the 700s.
565.jpg

IMO The 500-700 RG models are some of the best series offered to any level player musician. The 80s and 90s models reigned and is nice to see these reissues come back . (wondering how close they are.; perhaps some member here has checked them out?)