If you could only listen to ONE decade's music for the rest of your life.......

• Thread starter Gutch220
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which decade?

• 1950's

• 1960's

• 1970's

• 1980's

• 1990's

• 2000's

• 2010's +

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Yeah I’m the guy who picked the 90s. First of all, I don’t think some of you know how to play the game. You can’t pick a decade? Picture an alien from another planet who has the ability to wipe out all of humanity. It offers you a reprieve, all of humanity will be saved if you agree to only listen to music from one of the above posted decades. Now which decade are you picking dammit?! 😂

Here’s why I picked the 90s. Some of my favorite music is from the sixties but let’s face it, from ‘60 to ‘65 it’s glorified fifties music but sounding slightly more English and slightly more melodic. That leaves only ‘66 - ‘69 for me. Can’t make it through the rest of my days on only those years so sorry Zeebop, it can’t be the ‘60s.

You get to the ‘70s and you get a healthy mix awesome rock throughout the decade. You start with the Beatles and you get Lynyrd Skynyrd and by the end you’ve added Punk, early new wave, and outlaw country. Damn, this one is attractive.

The ‘80s, Fleetwood Mac, GnR, the best of Metallica, hair bands, more hair bands, New Wave, Hard Core American Punk, Shoegaze Bands, Brit Alternative Bands. Okay it’s good but something about a lot of the music from the ‘80s sounds dated…even compared to music in the ‘70s.

The ‘90s. You get an explosion of music similar to the explosion in the ‘60s. However beyond grunge you get a decade of great women singers-the flowers that grew from the seeds that Carole King planted in the ‘70s. Rap shakes off its early beginnings and arguably enters its greatest decade to date. Jeff Buckley’s lone album is a true masterpiece. DMB, before they became known as the frat boy anthem band produced some amazing music that was anti-grunge. Neutral Milk Hotel produced one of the great albums of the 1990s even if no one discovered it for another decade. Metallica was still rockin it out. Sound Garden was either a hard hitting grunge band or a very well disguised hair band but damn, I can listen to Superunknown for three days straight. I can do that with ‘70s music too but I’m going ‘90s.

Did they still make music after 12/31/1999?

So my answer is the ‘90s. No need to thank me humanity. I’m happy to take the bullet.
Are any of you guys guitar players?

anitoli

Reaction score
Are you fucking serious??? Really......you have to be joking...right?
No joke, i hate it. Seriously. Everybody else can love it but don't include me. Garbage. Shit out of my ass. Never want to hear any portion of it ever again. Sucks. It should be reassigned as the official muzak of the transgender movement. The only thing in the world that could make getting teabagged by a tranny worse, would be having the Wall going in the background................

Gutch220

Reaction score
Being a guitar player with all my main influences coming from an era of classic hard rock that really started kicking off around 1973 and continued through the very early eighties, I would have to adjust my decade a bit and call it '73 thru '83. Right around 1973 is where the rock bands of the mid sixties and early seventies passed the torch to the next generation of rockers such as Montrose, Rainbow, UFO, Aerosmith, etc..
so you gotta pick, 70's or 80's, there's a Sophie's Choice situation here.

TheKman76

Reaction score
My favourite music was all from the 90's, but most of my favourite artists of that era had influences from the 70's. Every time I go digging back in time to listen to those influences I keep finding new gold, like the real pot of inspiration lives in this era. I'm not old enough to have experienced any of it in person, but the 70's is definitely my time.

I wish my father hadn't given away his record collection, it was full of stuff I can get lost in. Steely Dan, Poco, Ry Cooder, Floyd, Sabbath, Zeppelin...

I would consider not ever hearing or knowing who Pink Floyd was to be a blessing....................:D

Talk like that will get you kicked out of my house.

The thing about the 70s is that it not only had great rock, but great soft rock and great folk stuff like Chapin, Croce, Lightfoot and Taylor - a genre that cannot be touched today without making me puke.

That's the truth! The sheer unbelievable breadth of *amazing* music and musicians during this era is staggering.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
If you could only listen to music from ONE decade for the rest of your life, what decade would it be?
What a great post! Thanks for making us all think a bit...

I would agree that 1975-1988 was the greatest period of music. That said, a lot of great music was made in the late 1970s. In one year alone the debut albums by The Cars, Van Halen, and The Police came out! And as a Rush and Police lover, I would hate to miss out on 1979s Permanent Waves and Regatta de Blanc.

But I really discovered music in the 1980s and started playing electric guitar in 1981. Many of those great 70s bands were still going and made some great albums in the 80s. Also, my formative years were essentially 1980 to 1988 (high school and college) and what a lot of great bands there were! Already mentioned The Police and Rush, along with Genesis, an exceptional incarnation of King Crimson (Adrian Belew, Bill Buford, Rober Fripp, and Tony Levin), Crowded House, The Smiths, R.E.M., Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Aerosmith, and loads more. Saw Pat Metheny a bunch of times and also got to see Stevie Ray Vaughn at the 1984 Playboy Jazz Festival. So I'm going with the 1980s.

Wonder how many of us made their choices based upon similar nostalgia?

TheKman76

Reaction score
150513103305-30-seventies-tv-images-0513-restricted.jpg

Cysquatch

Reaction score
No joke, i hate it. Seriously. Everybody else can love it but don't include me. Garbage. Shit out of my ass. Never want to hear any portion of it ever again. Sucks. It should be reassigned as the official muzak of the transgender movement. The only thing in the world that could make getting teabagged by a tranny worse, would be having the Wall going in the background................

Are you okay, dude? I'm no Floyd fan either, but damn.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Unhh you didn't read what i wrote correctly again.....................
You're right, you actually said being "tea bagged by a trans". That's even wierder. lol ;- )
Do you find yourself thinking about trans dudes a lot?

fZOga7.gif

anitoli

Reaction score
You're right, you actually said being "tea bagged by a trans". That's even wierder. lol ;- )
Do you find yourself thinking about trans dudes a lot?

fZOga7.gif
Cute, but no. It was a factious statement made to over exaggerate just how bad i think Floyd is. As in the only thing "worse" would be....................
But i guarantee you if i took you to Thailand no matter how hetero you think you are you may find you aint that good at picking out women. :D

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I had troubles with this. 80s hard rock ruled for me but I loved the 70s hard rock too. That said, rock radio music in the 70s was excellent. General pop in the 80s? Some of the worst tripe ever devised.
So 80s rock but not the rest at all. Later 70s mainstream was way more rock oriented. Boston, KISS, April Wine, BTO, Triumph, Rush, Nazareth, VH, Cheap Trick, Priest, ... I could live forever on that stuff.
70s for the win.

Latest posts