If You Were In Charge At Marshall....

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
take inspiration from the 1 watt 50th's and build and sell small tube heads that can be used live for small gigs 10watts and 20watts heads and combo's if ya want

I agree. But make them modern with transparent FX loops and master volumes that work. For fuk sake, Carvin, Engl, Boogie, and Freidman (and others) all have figured this out. Keep price under $1500 for the 20W combo and offer different gain stages ala pink taco. I don't care where they build it either, just offer premium features like greenback or equivalent speakers. Finally, make sure they look like a Marshal too.

belch

Reaction score
I would say Marshall are already finished. All they have is nostalgia and most of us old folks are on our last legs. Some of our kids are "well educated" in the finer arts, but they're kids and will rebel .

Maybe there will be a marshall app ( designed by a schoolkid)to entice the young folks & gain their attention for more than 10 mins.

Yeah i'm old & more cynical by the day.

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
I would say make an amp like the hughes and Kettner Grandmeister to try to get the younger people into it.
I know that the was JMD is sort of like it. I hate to say Marshall code with output tubes. I saw Marshalls on stage when I was a kid and had to get a wall of them for myself. They should sponsor more people even at the semi pro level with that sort of smartphone amp stuff. For me a new 2203 with two master volumes and effects loop. like my 900 MKiii

GuitarIV

Reaction score
A proper 100 Watt Head that combines all the best. I'm talking what Ceriatone, Friedman and others are offering. Properly oversized Trannies made from high quality steel, 6 Filter Caps and Choke as you find it on the JCM 800, flying leads and no PCB, one input, 2203 style control layout with a Resonance Control added, and an era switch that goes from 1959 SLP, to JCM 800, to hot rodded mode.

Modern features would include a transparent FX Loop you can take out of the signal path, bias test points and an accessible trim pot you could reach by unscrewing the grill on the back. I probably forgot something (built in attenuator or Lar/Mar PPIMV?) but that would be the ultimate Marshall I'd buy. If other builders can offer it, why wouldn't Marshall?

And I agree on the small amps. Add 20 Watt, 5 Watt and 1 Watt versions with added features for the studio. Give the new line of amps an epic name. Dunno, the Legacy? As in Jims Legacy?

A man can dream...

chiliphil1

Reaction score
We’ve all said it before, Marshall needs to make a modern classic amp. It needs to nail the tones of every generation, it needs to have a loop, a good MV, onboard effects, power soak, microwave, car wash feature, and it needs to play the guitar for you.

Actually, as some guys are saying Marshall with its current philosophy isn’t going to do well no matter what they do. Small amps are the thing at the moment so, they need to start there. The new dsl hr looks cool but people don’t want a dsl they’ve been asking for a mini plex or 800 for years now. Marshall needs to check the Friedman playbook and offer a 20 watt amp that is hand wired, has switchable features to go from classic to modern, loop, effects, etc. they need to get into the modded Marshall game because no one wants stock ones anymore. Friedman can do all of that for $1,499. Why can’t marshall?

I love the big 100 watters as much as anyone but sadly I think those days are over. Kids aren’t interested, venues are shrinking and getting quieter, there’s just no place for a wide open plexi anymore. Not to mention the massive used market is robbing most of their sales as it is. They need to stop making amps that are available in droves and bring something to market that isn’t already out there. I know they can do it, but, do they want to?

Everything is there for them, they can borrow a little tech here and a little there and make quite literally the ultimate amp. Take Hughes and kettners smart rotary technology, take Friedman’s hand wired modded circuits, take their own EPA. There is no reason that they can’t do all of this except for the fact that they don’t want to.

Oh yeah, and why not get into the digital business for real? Go to the museum and create high quality kemper and axe profiles of everything. Also, take the code technology and make it compete with the big dogs. Then they can release floor boards with it, they can make a JMD 2 with the code stuff up front and EL34’s in the back. The possibilities are endless.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Well, lets take a minute and look at Friedman, Metro, Dr Z, etc. Insert “1 Min Pause Here”...thats right they offer Marshall products in sizes and with options like they do. These builders have built great businesses by copying old Marshall designs BUT adding some quality modern options and features along with offering convenient combo packages. It appears this is what amp Buyers want seeing as businesses like these are thriving!!!

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Updated version of the JMD as stated above and a 20w head maybe 3 voicings from plexi to jvm and effects loop as well as headphones out.

belch

Reaction score
If I were in charge at Marshall...

I would setup an transformer winding department and start making top notch transformers.

Sounds like a great business plan, go for it.

Guaranteed to make enough profit for maybe 2 or 3 people.

Msharky67

Reaction score
The closest model amp that I have ever seen that was the way I would want an amp is the Sweetwater SW-45. That head had everything that you would ever want. It was two modes though I would change it to channel switching. It had classic and modern voicing. I hate to say that they are done but it is headed in that direction. Another DSL line again! Why!

roxynoodle

Reaction score
I'm in the small watt tube head camp myself. Give them all the features of the DSL40 at the very least (but with a reverb that actually makes a difference). I would have bought one of the smaller heads had they had more features.

Latest posts