Irrational desire for a low demand cab

• Thread starter wallythacker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wallythacker

Reaction score
I have a AVT412 straight cab with the standard Celestion speakers, 50w rating for a cab rating of 200w. I don't know when these cabs were made but they are certainly not a current model.

I actually like the cab for some things I'm playing. It's at least as good as my 1960a, in at least I mean nobody will flee the room screaming.

Here's the thing. I love the smaller size, reduced weight and overall portability. I also quite like the looks. But I'm not totally satisfied. I want more.

I want a full AVT stack. I need the AVT412 slant cab. I've seen them pass through for prices that I think are ridiculously high, in the $450 range. I suspect the cab sold for much less when new.

I'm just ranting really. People advertise how much they need money and how everything HAS to go but their prices are unrealistic and not negotiable.

Not a smart way to conduct business.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
they try to word things to make you think they are giving you a deal, so you'll have interest.

Why else do people sell the most perfect thing known to man? It's not so perfect, but they'll tell you that it is so you'll want it...

Advert 101...

mtm105

Reaction score
my AVT head made it to the back of my tone pile... I'm not a snob, either. Just kinda worked out that way. I'll get back to it. My Marshall Lead 12 has it's job.

I just bought an EVH 4X12 of Ebay used $381 local pickup. It's $999 retail.

Cabs are very hard to sell. It's a buyer's market.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Swap out the AVT speakers with your 1960 speakers...might be just what you want...small cab with big sound!

Maklaca

Reaction score
So I'm not the only one who uses cabinets that everyone else shuns?
I wanted a smaller stack for home, so I decided to build a 2 1x12 stack.
Most 1x12 cabinets are small, and sound it. After looking around I found the AVT112. It is an extension cabinet for the AVT150 combo. It is larger than the other 1x12's that I have looked at to give it a little more body.
I replaced the speakers with v30 on bottom and greenback on top. I love it. It's easy to move around. It may not be 4 or 8 12's but sounds pretty damn good. My brother is chief engineer at SIR in Hollywood and even he was surprised at the sound. (They did sound like crap until I changed out the speakers though.)
...it helps that my amp has mojo...:naughty: (Had to have a smaller head box made to fit on the stack)
Amp snobs do make a face when I tell them it's an AVT MDF box tho, lol.

Keep on rockin those strange speaker boxes!

Attachments

• IMG_20140707_121948.jpg
    IMG_20140707_121948.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 30

mtm105

Reaction score
I now stand corrected.....

I'm loving my Ibanez MDF Cab which I paid $75 for used and sold speakers for what I paid.

Installed WGS Vet30/ET-65. Parallel. (not X pattern which really annoyed me)

Now it's a perfect Cab. It may not endure the rigors of road use (rain and humidity), which I am not subjected to. It doesn't breathe like Baltic birch or pine. But the MDF, I think, does have it's benefits. It's very direct sound. It's not organic. It focueses more on the actual speaker, than the wood surrounding it. Perhaps, not always good for some speakers. (I don't know....) It may or may not be OK with loud volumes, I play quietly....almost silent. lol

I have EVH 5150 4X12 with stock Greenies sitting quietly underneath wondering why it doesn't get nearly as much attention.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
Most 1x12 cabinets are small, and sound it. After looking around I found the AVT112. It is an extension cabinet for the AVT150 combo. It is larger than the other 1x12's that I have looked at to give it a little more body.
I replaced the speakers with v30 on bottom and greenback on top. I love it. It's easy to move around. It may not be 4 or 8 12's but sounds pretty damn good. My brother is chief engineer at SIR in Hollywood and even he was surprised at the sound. (They did sound like crap until I changed out the speakers though.)
...it helps that my amp has mojo...:naughty: (Had to have a smaller head box made to fit on the stack)

:hmm: Does he know where #39 is? :slash:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

See, now, I'm the opposite. I bought an AVT-112 cab a while back. I liked the sound & have changed the speaker to everything from GB25, V30, H30, G150 & find that the original G100 is the best sounding speaker in the cab. When I get around to it, I'll plop it back in...

peterichardz

Reaction score

I have a AVT112 with a EVM12L in it! It ROCKS!

Maklaca

Reaction score
:hmm: Does he know where #39 is? :slash:

Hmmm, not sure I can answer that in a public forum. :D
He is also friends with Slash's guitar tech. I get a lot of inside scoops from that place. Out of the 3 original #36, 37, 39 (The 3 original Marshalls brought back from England by Doff and modded), the only one they have left is 37 and that is under lock and key. (I think it was #37. I haven't looked at it in a while and my memory is not that great. Some say it is #34, but I think it said 37 when I was checking it out. I can re-check) They don't rent it anymore. One of these days I'm gonna plug that thing in. :slash:
#36 and #39, both missing.

Last edited:

Maklaca

Reaction score
See, now, I'm the opposite. I bought an AVT-112 cab a while back. I liked the sound & have changed the speaker to everything from GB25, V30, H30, G150 & find that the original G100 is the best sounding speaker in the cab. When I get around to it, I'll plop it back in...

I think it may depend on what amp you are running through it. When I was using it as an extension for my AVT150, it sounded great. I started using it with my Ceriatone Plexi and it just had no body. I never got to try it with my 2204.

wallythacker

Reaction score
Well, no luck here founding a slant AVT412 for a reasonable price. I'm going to fill my straight AVT with swamp thangs.

It appears I have a new cabinet love, the 1936. I ended up with two and I like the possibilities. V30 & Govnor in each. Killer combination.

Swede

Reaction score
Hmmm, not sure I can answer that in a public forum. :D
He is also friends with Slash's guitar tech. I get a lot of inside scoops from that place. Out of the 3 original #36, 37, 39 (The 3 original Marshalls brought back from England by Doff and modded), the only one they have left is 37 and that is under lock and key. (I think it was #37. I haven't looked at it in a while and my memory is not that great. Some say it is #34, but I think it said 37 when I was checking it out. I can re-check) They don't rent it anymore. One of these days I'm gonna plug that thing in. :slash:
#36 and #39, both missing.

How about giving a brother a tour of SIR....:wave: Always wanted to check it out, but never been there.

Maklaca

Reaction score
How about giving a brother a tour of SIR....:wave: Always wanted to check it out, but never been there.

Lol, nothing really to see. Much like any typical rehearsal place.
Most of the fun rental gear is either out for rent, or behind locked doors, or on a tech bench somewhere. (Tech bench is the fun place, but they no longer do their Marshalls in-house anymore)
I only see stuff like that modded Marshall because I have been hanging out there for 20 years, so you see things here and there. They do have a nice selection of guitars on the walls of the dispatch room though.
I have gotten to play some nice guitars and amps there.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I realize a great deal of this is subjective..but man, once you've experienced a good cabinet there is no going back. It doesn't have to be a 4x12 cabinet...2X12 cabs sound awesome too as well as some 1x12s I've heard as well..

However, speaker quality and cabinet construction quality can never be overestimated...cabs and speakers and nearly HALF of your tone!

How do I get around the high prices? I'm thrifty and buy this stuff used..there is A BILLION deals out there especially if you have a tad bit of patience.

So much of this stuff gets purchased new, being barely used.

Many musicians are poor with money, and at times are in a bind willing to sell something under market value just to move it quickly...

mtm105

Reaction score
How do I get around the high prices? I'm thrifty and buy this stuff used..there is A BILLION deals out there especially if you have a tad bit of patience.

So much of this stuff gets purchased new, being barely used.

I found on Ebay local pickup (with a slight bidding war via Esnipe) an Ivory EVH 5150 III 4X12 for $381. Almost new condition. Prior to that, I was willing to pay $499 for a new 2X12.

4X12s are VERY hard to move. Craigslist usually has marked up prices, but I imagine seller gladly accepting half of what he is asking for.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I found on Ebay local pickup (with a slight bidding war via Esnipe) an Ivory EVH 5150 III 4X12 for $381. Almost new condition. Prior to that, I was willing to pay $499 for a new 2X12.

4X12s are VERY hard to move. Craigslist usually has marked up prices, but I imagine seller gladly accepting half of what he is asking for.

Exactly...I rarely, if EVER, buy anything new anymore..

Especially older Marshalls...they can live forever with a few component replacements....with a bit of elbow grease and spit...

You should have seen the 2203 I acquired in 97' or so...beat...worked 'okay'...got it on a trade for a BBE and Quadraverb...a few bucks, some glue...soap and water...contact cleaner, etc..and it worked and looked BRAND NEW...even being the dumbass I was by selling it in 03'...I STILL made about $500.00 on the deal and the guy who bought it got it for only $800.00 in near mint condition...

crwilsn

Reaction score
I just picked up an slant AVT412 from GC. They pick them up very cheap from guys who buy one starting out and eventually go for a better cabinet after being told these are less desirable (which may be me in a couple of years). Even though they advertise them high there is room for bargaining if you are willing to walk. MG412s can be had for even less but you loose the visual appeal of the AVT looking like a smaller 1960. Carbon fiber MG412s are even worse as perhaps the most hideous thing marshal has produced.

I too am happy with the less desirable AVT412. I have a 50 watt combo Peavy Valve King I am using as a head and there was a significant improvement over the stock 1x12 in the combo by plugging into the cab. I also tried it with a 1960 cabinet and while it was better (as it should be) the jump was not as significant as the combo to AVT cab and did not warrant nearly 3 times the price of the AVT cab and the 1960 they had at $499 was torn to hell as opposed to the great condition the AVT cab was in. I also tried a Marshall DSL15 on both CABs with great results on both for an option down the road once these are more prevalent on the used market.

15978301669_8e128d4c9a_z.jpg

It was listed for $200, and I showed them several listings on their own website used for less. I offered $150 and they countered $170. I could have perhaps found one on craigslist cheaper (seen as low as $100 searching nationally), but patience got the best of me.

Another advantage to these is if you are a tinkerer as I am, making mods to this cab only improves it where as Mods to a good 1960 reduce its value. First mod will be a simple addition of castors. Next I am looking at wiring up the cab to split speakers into pairs for stereo/mono like the 1960 cabs.

Latest posts