Is a Good Les Paul worth debt?

• Thread starter Ydna
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I should have made this clear, it isn't credit debt. Its layaway. Once I put down 10% I just have to make a payment every 30 days, it doesn't even need to be another 10%. My parents told me they'd love to help a bit, but I'm not expecting them to.

This guitar gets me stoked just thinking about it...

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeez, I deliberated over coughing up $400 when I traded my old LP Deluxe for a '58 reissue. I'm glad I did it, too. That was 5 years ago and that $400 is not missed at all and every time I pick up the R8 it's magic.

As long as you can sell it later and recoup most of what you paid for it (shouldn't be a problem) I'd go for it. In today's market, a good Les Paul isn't a bad buy.

richieG

Reaction score
I should have made this clear, it isn't credit debt. Its layaway. Once I put down 10% I just have to make a payment every 30 days, it doesn't even need to be another 10%. My parents told me they'd love to help a bit, but I'm not expecting them to.

This guitar gets me stoked just thinking about it...

Ahhhh sorry man...I thought it was some sort of credit thing.....Ignore my previous tedious post.

No harm can come of that that arrangement. I would still save for one so I can get it cheaper......but if its a one off thing and you love it, why the fuck not!

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Ahhhh sorry man...I thought it was some sort of credit thing.....Ignore my previous tedious post.

No harm can come of that that arrangement. I would still save for one so I can get it cheaper......but if its a one off thing and you love it, why the fuck not!

No man, don't apologize. Just a simple miswording on my part. I'll make my decision Friday.

Oh, and good news in a completely differents subject. My 45/100 is now COMPLETE, well, kinda. The bias pot I got from Ceriatone isn't a high enough resistance, so the tubes slightly red plate, so I have to install a new bias pot. Then it is done.

zslane

Reaction score
A guitar is like a beautiful woman::
If it looks good and Feels good---then just DO IT !!!! cause you know she's gonna taste good !!!
To this day --I kick myself for letting her get by me.

To carry this analogy further, if guitars are like women, then it is also true that there are plenty of fish in the sea. Pass one by and another will swim by and land on your hook soon enough.

j2112c

Reaction score
Here is a crappy cell phone picture. Doesn't do it justice though.

Lovely flame on that beasty!:)
Very nice.... tempting huh?:lol:

Video clip when you get it....as surely you will!:lol::lol::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

lucidspoon

Reaction score
I just don't think I could do layaway. Giving someone else money without receiving anything for a period of several months? I'd be way to impatient. If you're parents are willing to help out, why not see if they'll lend you the money, and then you can get your guitar and make the same payments to them instead of the store.

I talked to a woman who said her son used to have tons of amps and guitars, but when he got married and started a family, he had to sell most of it to get his finances straightened out. She offered to buy all of it from him and store it at her house until he could get back on his feet, but he refused, and now he doesn't have nearly as much. I think that would have been a fantastic deal. In fact, My wife and I are buying a house and hope to be closing by the end of next month, and if it comes down to where we need a bit extra for closing costs, my parents offered to lend us money, but I think what I'll offer is to "sell" my amps to them, because then at least I'll feel like I'm being held responsible.

So maybe, you're parents could buy it, and you can "layaway" it from them?

The only time I'd make payments on something other than a house or a car is if it's 0% interest, and I get the thing right then.

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I just don't think I could do layaway. Giving someone else money without receiving anything for a period of several months? I'd be way to impatient. If you're parents are willing to help out, why not see if they'll lend you the money, and then you can get your guitar and make the same payments to them instead of the store.

I talked to a woman who said her son used to have tons of amps and guitars, but when he got married and started a family, he had to sell most of it to get his finances straightened out. She offered to buy all of it from him and store it at her house until he could get back on his feet, but he refused, and now he doesn't have nearly as much. I think that would have been a fantastic deal. In fact, My wife and I are buying a house and hope to be closing by the end of next month, and if it comes down to where we need a bit extra for closing costs, my parents offered to lend us money, but I think what I'll offer is to "sell" my amps to them, because then at least I'll feel like I'm being held responsible.

So maybe, you're parents could buy it, and you can "layaway" it from them?

The only time I'd make payments on something other than a house or a car is if it's 0% interest, and I get the thing right then.

My parents are putting my sister through a very nice private college. So things are tight right now. I couldn't ask them to do that right now.

When something plays as good as this guitar, waiting a few months for it is worth it.

j2112c

Reaction score
Yea, if I get it, that video clip is a good 8 months away. Haha.

I am a patient man... I will wait... I request Led Zep Black Dog when you do get it... you now have 9 months to learn it..... you will need it...:fingersx: We can wait 9 months for the birth of your first Les Paul:lol::lol:

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Well, I didn't go last night, so I asked to go today, but my brother's car broke, so my Dad has to work on that instead, so hopefully tomorrow.

j2112c

Reaction score
Well, I didn't go last night, so I asked to go today, but my brother's car broke, so my Dad has to work on that instead, so hopefully tomorrow.

Oh no!... It is one of these moments!:lol::lol:

He steps up, he shoots... OH NooooOOOOOOOoooooo!!!:lol::lol:

You will score tomorrow!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWGDaGhnPhE]‪Worst football (soccer) miss in history!‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
"Is a Good Les Paul worth debt?"

a Good Les Paul Is worth debt!

You just have to displace two words and there's your answer.

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Oh my god. Just found a 1968 Camaro project car for really cheap. Such a hard choice between this or a Les Paul.

Leaning towards the Les Paul. The Les Paul wont empty my pocket money for parts and gas.