is baking soda & vinegar safe for a household drain?

• Thread starter GibsonMarshallGuy47
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
I keep reading conflicting info online... 50% of articles say its perfectly safe, while another 50% say it's not safe for your drain. I just need to clear one of our shower drains that is a little slow moving. what do you guys use for that?

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
I keep reading conflicting info online... 50% of articles say its perfectly safe, while another 50% say it's not safe for your drain. I just need to clear one of our shower draina that is a little slow moving. what do you guys use for that?

Depends on whether you have plastic, PVC pipes and so on. If not, it should be OK, but duration is key. Leaving it there for 20 minutes to do its thing isn't going to harm anything, just flush it out afterwards.

I use a special stuff that's made for it. Little white pellets, like a really coarse soap powder, almost. I'd reckon any DIY place should have something applicable.

hsb

Reaction score
Have u removed the drain stopper to see if its a hair clog. Our daughters bathroom gets cleaned out a 3-4x a year bc her hair is long. Our shower isnt as bad since my wife's hair is short.

If its a hairclog at the drain stopper, make a hook out of a wire hanger and fish it out

Mike_LA

Reaction score
I only problem with baking soda and vinegar is if there is a pressure build up from the reaction, blowing out a bad pipe connection . . .

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
As a plumber for 30 plus years you are wasting your time, you can use one of these if there is hair right at the drain.
View attachment 147327

But if you have a real clogged drain nothing but snaking or jetting it out will clear it.
I've been using one of these since they started making them. They work great. I don't think I've ever had a clogged shower/tub drain that wasn't due to a hair clog in over 30+ or so years. I used a hanger and hemostats or needle nose pliers before these came out. After the hair clog comes out I run hot water for a bout a 1/2 minute to a minute and it's back to draining perfectly. Until the next hair clog at least.

Reactions: hsb

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a plumber for 30 plus years you are wasting your time, you can use one of these if there is hair right at the drain.
View attachment 147327

But if you have a real clogged drain nothing but snaking or jetting it out will clear it.

I've been using one of these since they started making them. They work great. I don't think I've ever had a clogged shower/tub drain that wasn't due to a hair clog in over 30+ or so years. I used a hanger and hemostats or needle nose pliers before these came out. After the hair clog comes out I run hot water for a bout a 1/2 minute to a minute and it's back to draining perfectly. Until the next hair clog at least.

Yep. They work great! I buy ones on Amazon. Three women with long hair in the house. Those little suckers get used a lot.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I keep reading conflicting info online... 50% of articles say its perfectly safe, while another 50% say it's not safe for your drain. I just need to clear one of our shower draina that is a little slow moving. what do you guys use for that?
I use Liquid Plumber or something like it. Works great for minor blockages, ime.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Liquid Drano or snake it out with one of those things c-grin pictured above.

PelliX

Reaction score
If you have a pressure washer, there are also addons for this that you can attach. I've never used them, and I don't fancy the "backlash" if you go at a blocked toilet... but no chemicals involved... :)

G the wildman

Reaction score
I fitted to traps to our shower waste outlets that you just pop the grill off, remove the lose fit trap and flush it through.

So easy I do it weekly.

G

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've got a galvanized trap under the tub/shower then anything short of a replacement is just a band aid.
If you have a plastic trap then it's likely you just have a bunch of hair stuck on the grid part of the strainer.
Most of that liquid drain opener is just snake-oil designed to get money to flow freely from your wallet. There's a very good reason a plumber's van, especially a drain cleaner's van can have over $50K worth of tools on it and not a single jug of Draino.

Derek S

Reaction score
I use Liquid Plumber or something like it. Works great for minor blockages, ime.

Same here, only I use the version with the little crystals instead of the liquid, supposedly when it starts working it's physically eating away at the gunk better than the way the fluid does....but either way, that shit does work great for mild clogs/beard clippings, etc.

Whizzercone

Reaction score
If you have a clog in the bathroom and you have women in the house. The clog is above the drain and no drain cleaner will clear it.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
...Most of that liquid drain opener is just snake-oil designed to get money to flow freely from your wallet. There's a very good reason a plumber's van, especially a drain cleaner's van can have over $50K worth of tools on it and not a single jug of Draino.
Nonsense, chemical cleaners work great on minor clogs. Helluva a lot cheaper than calling a plumber, easier too.

vmathias

Reaction score
Been doing it for years.