• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Is 'having nothing to do', mean you're depressed?

• Thread starter dreyn77
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
Dude, read something interesting; it might boost your imagination.

“Extreme boredom provides its own antidote.” F. R

“Those who make the worst use of their time are the first to complain of its brevity.” J. B

I don't think it's depression - life is ultimately meaningless and pointless, but it's entertaining the mind and the humour within that's worthwhile. So do that. Of course, it requires effort - but once you get started it should snowball. Find others that are doing the same and you have something going on.

I will always remember however, that not all that wander are lost.

“Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.”
― JPS

Welcome to the class of existentialism. It ultimately deals with the burden of existence whence came the very boredom you suffer. Get involved! read, get insight! boil the still waters in your mind.

rocknblues

Reaction score
Dreynn,

Am I the only one who caught on? You know, the part where your boredom led to you playing with your balls.... some habits are hard to break, huh?

Buuuut anyways, I hope you find a constructive way to get out of your rut soon.
RB

Ampcrazy

Reaction score
You seem to have a really hard time not turning threads this way.:scratch:
Just replying to someone who told him to get a job.

That might not help that much, depending on the individual involved.

However i do value your educated and insightful reply with your solutions to the op's questions. Much appreciated. Thanks :applause:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Showing up here everyday is a good start ... you've got a lot of friends here you can lean on for guidance, that's for sure (which is to say you are not alone). I know you say you've been feeling down, but I'll point out that you've seemed to be in pretty good spirits lately, so maybe the forum is helping in some ways? I think a lot of the advice to latch onto something new / constructive / productive is very healthy.

X2203xman

Reaction score
I would like more info on how to get by without a job.I like to eat,and need power for my amps,and toaster,and such.Then there's the mortgage.I considered one of the law offices that I see on tv ads for disability,but I come from hard working people that would most likely shun me for that.But,I don't like getting up at 3:30 am,and my bosses are overpaid dumbasses from out of state.I don't like paying taxes to support people who can work though...a giant peeve.I think you should get a job,even if it's a low paying fun job.Income is a big plus,and new purchases will shake off bordem for at least awhile.If you don't need income,then smoke weed and hike in the mountains contemplating life's mysteries.Just a few suggestions.:wave:

Kaptain_Krunch

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gold-Label-Neatsfoot-Oil-2-5L/dp/B00803D91G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379622427&sr=8-2&keywords=neatsfoot+oil"]Gold Label - Neatsfoot Oil: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Best thing for softening leather :yesway:

Heavy Metal

Reaction score
as you said you're bored... you aren't depressed. Get off your ass and find something to do, that's about it in a nutshell...

Hahahahahahaha

Reaction score
Yeah you're right guys. this 'death' bit has been hitting me for the last two weeks and I'm never like that.
I did hear a doc on the radio say 'lack of sleep makes bad thoughts worse' and I have had lots of lack of sleep.
The 'geta Job' issue works, I know, I've had a few. BUT, my last job ended up in a major court.
A big eye opener experience.
I'm on the 'timeout team' at the moment.
when you watch life pass by year after year (living in a comfortable position, which will come crashing down and has before) life is like a movie, it doesn't seem real anymore.

The bizzaar becomes the norm. I'm tired of the bizzaar and I'm loosing the drive. I'm noticing the earth racing round the sun.
I this an early midlife crisis? Do people get over this?
I try and be positive and go for a walk but I get hit in the face by tree branches overhanging the footpath or I get attacked by stray dogs etc...
Sometimes life is too hard.

Falling in love always helps... Believe me you start to see the colors again!!!!!

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
"All the new boat people have been banned from comming here"...
What does this mean? Maybe you could hardwire and bypass your car's connector?

CaptainZero

Reaction score
The difference is that depression's only reward is despair, whereas hard work's reward is confidence, self esteem and a sense of purpose.

THIS! And, no Ampcrazy, you can get a sense of accomplishment even at a "crap minimum wage job".

A job, is like life. To paraphrase the Dice Man, 'Life is like sex, the more you put in... the more you get out'

Hahahahahahaha

Reaction score
THIS! And, no Ampcrazy, you can get a sense of accomplishment even at a "crap minimum wage job".

A job, is like life. To paraphrase the Dice Man, 'Life is like sex, the more you put in... the more you get out'[/QUOTE

İ wonder what you guys feel like when you are retired... İ don't think we should value ourselves with the jobs we have.. After all it is just one of the way for system to make us a slave ....

Las Palmas Norte

Reaction score
Lookin for something to keep you busy? ... I have a half acre of busy here. I can't see the end of my list.

Cheers, Barrie.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Lookin for something to keep you busy? ... I have a half acre of busy here. I can't see the end of my list.

Cheers, Barrie.

Amen. I've got 300 acres of horses/deer running through fences, trees falling and needing to be sawed up and hauled out, bush hogging, fertilizing the fields, cutting hay, bailing hay, storing hay, tending to the bee hives, filling the deer and coon feeders, checking the trail cameras, keeping the creeks on our land pretty and the banks free of weeds, tending to our personal vegetable gardens, landscaping around the house and pool.... It's a never ending process. No time for depression.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like "that guy", my life felt fairly empty between the ages 20-30. Then I had kids and it all made sense again.

Ampcrazy

Reaction score

A job, is like life. To paraphrase the Dice Man, 'Life is like sex, the more you put in... the more you get out'
So you can get a sense of accomplishment flipping burgers and mopping toilets?

To me a sense of accomplishment is working in a job where you're valued and treated fairly by an employer and where you can look back at a shift's work with the thought "that was great work there i achieved all that and made that stuff there"

Very few shithole jobs will give you that feeling.

You're obviously deranged, or on drugs, probably both! :ugh::squint::iough:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
So you can get a sense of accomplishment flipping burgers and mopping toilets?

To me a sense of accomplishment is working in a job where you're valued and treated fairly by an employer and where you can look back at a shift's work with the thought "that was great work there i achieved all that and made that stuff there"

Very few shithole jobs will give you that feeling.

You're obviously deranged, or on drugs, probably both! :ugh::squint::iough:

You're not in a position to judge people you don't know, amp. I'm not talking about dreyn specifically, but everyone needs to start somewhere, so if someone needs a job like that as a stepping stone, then there's nothing wrong w/it. In fact, it's precisely the reason jobs like that exist, which is to basically be a bridge to something next on your journey upward. I've done those jobs myself, and I'm proud of it because it's strengthened my work ethic. Either way, the purpose of this thread is to support dreyn and to help him figure out the next step since he's asking for our help.

Latest posts