• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

is it normal for there to be a burning smell while my amp is running?

• Thread starter manubro1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

manubro1

Reaction score
I've noticed that if I put my face above the amp while it is running, it smells a bit like something is burning. Is this normal? Its a 6100 head.

MM54

Reaction score
Tube amps smell good (and hot) when they're running, yes. If there's smoke or an otherwise very unpleasant odor, something may be wrong (although I've had label-ink burn off new tubes before and leave my shop smelling like someone put plastic in the oven).

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Like MM said, it should have the "hot amp smell" but smoke or a heavy burning smell is another thing. Considering your previous post about the midi cap, I would highly recommend you take it in for a full cap job. You may also have a resistor that is going out of spec and heating up.

HeydudeitsDanny

Reaction score
i wont lie....

when i first read that thread title i was like: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

maybe if you smell something burning...something may be wrong..take it to a tech

Gtrman58

Reaction score
Are you sure its not you ears melting? Lol I too am addicted to the Hot tube smell especially on a Marshall. Kinda like fried eggs & bacon in the morning or coffee beans...

Last edited:

Dario

Reaction score
Re:Marshall valvestate stopped working and smoke came out! What do you think it is?

Hi, I was playing the guitar when suddenly my marshall valvestate 2000 avt150 stopped working and smoke came out! I was just playing 5 min and now, if I turn him on he turns on but sound doesn´t come out! What can I do and what do you think it is?

Frodebro

Reaction score
Re: Marshall valvestate stopped working and smoke came out! What do you think it is?

Hi, I was playing the guitar when suddenly my marshall valvestate 2000 avt150 stopped working and smoke came out! I was just playing 5 min and now, if I turn him on he turns on but sound doesn´t come out! What can I do and what do you think it is?

Don't turn it back on, you could cause additional damage depending on what happened. The smoke means that at least one component has burned up, and they don't come back to life once that happens. If you don't have any experience troubleshooting electronic circuits, your only real option is to take it to somebody qualified to repair it.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Hey Dario, that sucks man. I did this twice to my avt150h but both times were because I had it plugged in improperly... Unfortunately I had to get it repaired by a tech. I don't know what the fix was but it cost me about $200 each time. I assume it was the main board. Try opening it up and inspecting closely for burned up parts.