Is one amp enough?

• Thread starter SlyStrat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score
I like variety. I have more amps than my skill level can justify, but who cares? There are times when a cranked 1959 is just right. There are times when my Mesa Mark IV is the right amp. Or my MG15MSII microstack head plugged into a 1960A full of Greenbacks. Or maybe it's time to play my Fender Pro Reverb.

Need has nothing to do with it. I know I'd never be satisfied with just one or two amps.

I thought skill level was inverse to the amount of gear in general? A good guitarist can make a hello kitty guitar or a MS2 sound good, etc. It's the rest of everyone who thinks enough GAS will fix things... :applause:

...on that note, I need to check some prices....

Moony

Reaction score
I've owned many amps and don't need to look further than a second SV.
I sold all these a few years ago.

faMKt6J.jpg

qNZvnju.jpg

I saw these photos several times here in the forum years ago iirc.
Didn't you say at the time that these were the amps of a friend of yours?

Old Punker

Reaction score
I tone tested almost every Marshall model made. Vintage amps and modern like the JVM, YJM, etc.
I learned to be content not having collections.
For me the SV sounds like a plexi and I'm happy with it. I prefer NMV tone.
Cool. I'm not a collector either. I only have one Marshall amp, the SC20H, and I waited a long time for Marshall to come out with a JCM 800 series amp that is not 100W. At this point I highly doubt that I'll ever buy another amp, I may sell one though (not the Marshall). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Old Punker

Reaction score
As mentioned you've probably asked opinions of the wrong people.
Personally I need x1 amp and x1 guitar and my pedal board and if I stuck with that I would be a much better guitarist as I would practice more and fiddle with gear less, but then I like to have lots of amps to play with/build and restore and it keeps things interesting, I try to avoid duplicates so have Marshalls, Oranges, Matamps, Hiwatts, Vox AC30, Fender et al. My guitars are all different so why stick with one as the ones I have all sound and feel different such that I would struggle to choose which one to keep.
You made no mention of Mesa? :(

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I've owned many amps and don't need to look further than a second SV.
I sold all these a few years ago.

faMKt6J.jpg

qNZvnju.jpg
Wait , you sold all of those ?
I am sure that helped your bank account but damn hard to replace.
Short answer , no.

If I ever get the right one I could probably just play it but I am content playing my Helix.

gtr1963

Reaction score
I did fine for years with 1 amp head(JCM 900 DR). Used a 100 w combo as a backup. Then I picked up JCM 2000 DSL 100 w head and cabinet. Playing through both in stereo at the same time was GAME CHANGER for me. Using slight pan delay the thick heavy wall of sound from both is the only way I play now. Having said that, I have no problem just practicing or playing through 1 head.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
no. gotta ave one for heavy tones and one for blues/blues rock.
before you go blasting money at a different amp, try a boss ge7 in the loop first.
it will open your current amp up to a whole library of new tones.
you said your space and funds were limited so go there first. $60-$80 used and
it will bring you more tones than 3 new amps combined.