Is one amp enough?

• Thread starter SlyStrat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Multiple reasons for having more than one, they all circle around the term versatility. Small venue, small combo, large venue, half stack or better. You wouldn’t want to show up at either with the other. I have a 4210 for small, add a 1933 for a little bigger than small, use my 2204 half stack for larger venues, add the other 3x12 for big venues.
thing is, everybody wants to gear up for "playing out" but i bet less than 4% here actually do so.
i would think its more about tonal options rather than where one is gonna play for the most part.
its my thought that if one wants tonal options sticking with one manufacture is a very bad idea.

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
thing is, everybody wants to gear up for "playing out" but i bet less than 4% here actually do so.
i would think its more about tonal options rather than where one is gonna play for the most part.
its my thought that if one wants tonal options sticking with one manufacture is a very bad idea.
I agree Rick, but for me I'm very satisfied with my 2204, and I can get really close with the 4210 to the same. After going through multiple amps, this is where I personally landed. Not everyone gets to go out and play, not everyone wants to. In those situations I can see that. I'm just sharing what I do for me.

V-man

Reaction score
Thought you meant for the OP - said he's picking up SV#2 tomorrow. :applause:

For anyone with just one amp - EQ in the loop - what are you waiting for? :shrug:
Um… maybe an FX loop? Those w the old school circuits don’t have ’em

I’ll see your 4% playing out statement, and raise you one 4% needing that level of tonal options.

After ’93, I have never bought anything other than a Marshall. Am I missing out on certain voicings that address post-modern metal and sterile jazz cleans? Probably. Do I need that shit? Nope. I play hard rock and thrash-doom metal. If I want more/different, I can put a stomp into the path of the 2203 lo input. If I want a great clean, lo input of either Marshall. The majority of artists use ONE brand of amplifier (before the endorsements also). More than a few of them use one circuit exclusively.

OdgeUK

Reaction score
I have one amp, a Studio Vintage head.
Its my favorite amp and I dont care about buying a different model.
A friend is willing to sell me his SV for a great price.
Do I really need it? It would just be a backup if mine went down.
If this is in the Uk and you don’t want it, hit me up. I’m on South Coast

machinefish

Reaction score
You cant be serious with this question. Any guitar player worth his salt knows that a minimum of three Marshall Heads is required for a number of reasons. The most important reason being tone. Each head should be equalized to one of the three major frequency bands defined by the Rock Gods. The Treble head, The midrange head and the Bass Head.

In you need backups because your down time is so valuable you will need another set of three heads.

The same reason astronauts took three space ships to the moon in the 1970s

Markedman

Reaction score
I was down to one amp once, well, one "real" amp and I felt naked and exposed. Who does that? One amp, lord, the horror. I couldn't sleep at night until I found a good replacement for the amp I sold. I like to have a minimum of 3 working, high quality amps.

mallcorn

Reaction score
Is one amp enough? Well, it's better than no amp. I have 4 amps which isn't many compared to most. I have found owning two that are almost the same, one wins out and the other gets sold. Same with guitars, you want some variety or you will pick your favorite and not play the others.

For small and compact, I have a Marshall SV20H and a Fender '64 Custom Handwired Deluxe Reverb. I also have a Power Station II that can make these 20watters bigger or smaller sounding. I also have a Marshall 1959HW and a Suhr SL68. So, at this point I am good with the ones I have kept.

ssolo8

Reaction score
If you play Live, you need a backup.
If you don't play Live, you need a backup.
If you don't play at all, you need a backup. America was built on buying and selling, so if you can get it for a good price grab it and sit on it. That's Money in the Bank. If you never ever need to cash it in then it makes a great inheritance for your family to sell so they can plant you in your final resting place.

Reaction score
The real dilemma would be, get the same amp as a second one, or a different Marshall. No matter how much one model appeals, others offer different things..

MojoWorking

Reaction score
My wife thinks so!

Actually I have a number of amps that all sound somewhat different and really cool. But when I gig, I always wind up taking the same one that I’ve always used. Though I generally will take a small backup as well.