is the JVM among the greatest marshalls of all time?

• Thread starter wanky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

is the JVM among the greatest marshalls of all time?

• Yes its the most brutal, most articulate and versitile hi-gain amp there is!

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • nah, just a decent versitle hi-gain amp but nothin special

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • nah, marshall went downhill when they used PCBs and the JVM is no different.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • ask me 30 years from now

Votes: 13 28.3%

• Total voters

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
JVM will be among the greatest in due time.

1. High gain done right! JVM has more gain than any other Marshal at the time of it's debut, and it did high gain very well. Every time I talked to the GC sales people, all they could say after playing a JVM is, "that's a Marshall?" Everyone was in disbelief that Marshall could do modern high gain so well, so this attemp at a very modern high gain sound will earn it props in time. Believe me, when companies like Line 6 and Digitech attempt to incorporate the JVM sound into their modelers, it aint gonna be for the clean tone! High gain done right!

2. Versatility. Marshall wasn't big on MIDI, but they went all in to give players options, and have successfully integrated MIDI into the entire series. An intelligent footswitch (it remembers your last setup) that can be attached to an amp with common guitar cord? A footswitch that can be swapped across the entire series? EQ and volume for each channel? 2 MV? Universal resonance and presence? That's what I call versatility, son!

3. The tone. A JVM sounds unlike anything Marshall has done before. This is easy to prove: many players coming from different series and models will try to dial in their favorite settings on a JVM, and many times they and their settings fail. Reason: their settings don't transfer well because it aint a JCM800 2203, plexi, 6100, silver jubiles, etc. Because it is a different kind of Marshall amp, you will need to spend some time with it to get some great tones, but those tones will be there and they will be all JVM, and not exact reproduction of previous Marshall tone (people have come ballpark close to reproducing classic Marshall tones, but it never comes out to an exact reproduction imo. It gets ever more interesting when you start changing up cabs and speakers in the combos!

I once jammed with a guy who had a stock '70's Marshall and a old stock 1960 cab. I never heard a classic Marshall along side a JVM, so I was interested in how it would mesh. The 70's Marshall could only keep up with the JVM at around Crunch channel/Red mode; the 70's Marshall could not hang with any modes in OD1 and OD2. The other guy had to use a distortion pedal to get more gain, but it didn't sound great (and it usually doesn't. I recon any DSL series, any TSL series, JCM900 4100 model, 6100LE, and Silver Jubilee, AFD100, and YJM100 would do a better job hanging with a JVM.

So yeah, they JVM aint for everybody, and if it aint for you, then you need to stay the hell off them.