• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JCM 800 horizantal input 2203

• Thread starter bennieusmaximus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bennieusmaximus

Reaction score
Hi,I have seen a good deal on a 100w JCM 800 horizantal input.I think it sounds great,mabey a little bright at times,but not bad.It is a 1985 model with 5 cans,not 6 like the earlyer ones.I know the pots are mounted to the board and all that,but does anyone else have one out there and would you suggest getting it for the right price?

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're good amps. I totally dig 'em. On my 100w's I prefer the vertical input models. There is a bit of a circuit change but it's only related to current filtering.

$1000 is the general neighborhood for an 800, give or take a hundred here or there. I'd say anything under a grand is a decent price if it's in good condition.

If the deal is right, I'd go for it.

bennieusmaximus

Reaction score
Yea ya here some people dissin' the horizontal,but I thought it sounded just as good as my '79 jmp master vol.Different but good.I'vgot an Maxon 808 that would probably go good with it.Do you know if the trannys are quality like the early ones?

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah I don't know too many specifics on the transformers. I replaced my horizontal input 800 stock trannies with replacements from ClassicTone and the amp sounds much better. FWIW that one in particular was a 50w.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
[QUOTE.Do you know if the trannys are quality like the early ones?[/QUOTE]
all through the 800 series the transformers contributed a lot to the signature marshall tone including the late 80's early 90's.
So if i were you i wouldn't touch those transformers...in fact all the boutique tranformers of today are clones of the trannies of yesteryear.

Latest posts