JCM 900 vs Bugera 1990

• Thread starter Neylus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neylus

Reaction score
The two amps do exactly the same sound...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFv-VBRrtlA]Bugera 1990 vs. Marshall JCM 900 Shoot-out TTK Style !!! Amp Review Demo NAMM 2010 '10 - YouTube[/ame]

sccloser

Reaction score
If you check youtube, you will find videos of the Bugera doing a sound that the 900 doesn't match. Weird, strange high pitch noises which come and go out of the blue. Lots of videos with people trying to trace the source of the trouble. Seems that there is quite a few out there with problems. I'd stick with the Marshall.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
they sound good but, fall apart. they have bad heaters in them apparently which causes them to power off after they get too hot and eventualy stop working (but, get power).

i had one that lasted for less than 24hrs.

Sounded great though. sounded more like a DSL than a DR to me.

medicjg

Reaction score
I have owned both and the DR is way more sturdy than the bugera. If you run the bugera hard after about 45 minutes the drive channel will start cutting out. I even sent one back to get another one that did the exact same thing. These were not the early versions either. Its a shame because the bugera didnt sound all that bad. The problem was exacerbated even further if you put an OD in front of it. The only cheaper foreign made head that I have had any luck with was the JCA 50. I tortured it every way I possible and it never gave out. To me your way better off getting the marshall and modding it so it doenst need an eq pedal.

Neylus

Reaction score
I don't want one, I just saw that video and was like "wtf??"

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I also emailed them about replacng the amp and they told me it was "worth getting fixed" even though i didn't have the money and explained it to them and also let them know i had it for only a few hours....

Yeah I personaly won't ever deal with them again. I'm happy they responded at least. Ibanez is impossible to get ahold of so i left them behind as well. communication's as or close to as important to me as quality.

here's some of my clips within those few hours before it broke...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ddWhF8NvU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE77f4uz_cI[/ame]

plexilespaul

Reaction score
I also emailed them about replacng the amp and they told me it was "worth getting fixed" even though i didn't have the money and explained it to them and also let them know i had it for only a few hours....

Yeah I personaly won't ever deal with them again. I'm happy they responded at least. Ibanez is impossible to get ahold of so i left them behind as well. communication's as or close to as important to me as quality.

here's some of my clips within those few hours before it broke...

amp guess2 - YouTube

guess this amp - YouTube

nice playing diesect20022000...
why did it break? what was the problem?
the amp actually sounded pretty good...

sccloser

Reaction score
I read some things on the net and watched some videos on youtube about what the common problems were on the Bugera 1960 and how to fix them. Mostly just amounted to cheap parts / assembly. But I have yet to hear how to fix the 1990 problems.

eljeffebrown

Reaction score
Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
They make a very reliable door stop.

:rofl:

And boat anchors! they also make a fantastic [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApwIGvUjZoE"]Trebuchet*[/ame] propellant!

*Disgusting fact, sometimes they launched human corpses infected with the plauge as projectiles, the first biological warfare, cows corpses were more often used than the human ones :)

All4Tone

Reaction score
It seems like with the Bugera, it's hit & miss. If you get one that works for a long time, it's probably fine, but some of them fail very quickly.

For a light duty jamming / home amp, it's probably fine if it keeps working, but sometimes the stories of failure get blown WAY out of proportion and flood forums, yet it may only be a few failure that actually happen.

If anyone had a MArshall that failed out of the box, we here would probably overlook it, because Marshall has a history of being a solid, reliable amp in general.

I had a Bugera 412 cab for a while and it was OK, but not even in the same league as the 1960A&B or the 1960AX I recently got.. I sold the Bugera cab for a profit though - try doing that with a Marshall.

Jack92CH

Reaction score
I own a 6262 combo that sounded excellent through a Marshall cab. When we went to change the tubes, the PT blew. Doesn't make any sense.

I had just gotten a DSL at the time, so I honestly didn't give a damn.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
It seems like with the Bugera, it's hit & miss. If you get one that works for a long time, it's probably fine, but some of them fail very quickly.

The same appears to be true for the AFD. Some seem to be the best sounding amps made in a while... and others are plagued with problems.

Either way QC continues to be one of the most important pieces in the production/marketing process.

:wave:

medicjg

Reaction score
I dont think that the bugera problem is hit or miss. Too many folks have experienced the same kind of issues. If Marshall had the same amount of problems their reputation would be no differnt than bugeras IMO.