JCM2000 DSL 50...... Thoughts

• Thread starter charvel2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Damn...so now I have to budget in the mods, and find an amp tech nearby.

No mods required. In my mind, anybody who feels the need to mod a DSL is trying to make it into something else. 50 watts is brutally loud, I rarely go above 3 on the volume. Buy it.

Adrian R

Reaction score
No mods required. In my mind, anybody who feels the need to mod a DSL is trying to make it into something else. 50 watts is brutally loud, I rarely go above 3 on the volume. Buy it.

Boy a few vacation days and I need something else to do! LOL... Anyway dude..good advice to a degree..Yeah, as mentioned the amp stock with a few small assurances is a great sounding amp man....

However, of course you know where I am going...modding it as I mentioned (not changing components values, snip resistors, etc.) DOESN'T change its VOICING MAN!!!!!!!!!

It just makes the amp more of itself!

Trust me dude...if you heard and *felt* the difference you'd most likely agree and if you didn't you'd be either DEAD or just stubborn and refusing to admit an error...

Just adding a vintage preamp tube in V1 creates GREAT tonal advantages...

Rozman62

Reaction score

Doing this one little thing will yield you back a big shot of tonal improvement. Other mods help but this is the biggest bang for the buck.

Adrian R

Reaction score

Doing this one little thing will yield you back a big shot of tonal improvement. Other mods help but this is the biggest bang for the buck.

ABSOLUTELY..made a HUGE difference in tone compared to CP preamp tubes...

Groovejunkie

Reaction score

I bought mine new in 2006...and have loved it ever since. Earlier this year, my tech convinced me to retube with 6CA7's....add a choke and several mods. WOWOW. Total beast now...the array of tones....is amazing. Yes the stock DSL is a great amp, but infinitely tweakable as well.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I bought mine new in 2006...and have loved it ever since. Earlier this year, my tech convinced me to retube with 6CA7's....add a choke and several mods. WOWOW. Total beast now...the array of tones....is amazing. Yes the stock DSL is a great amp, but infinitely tweakable as well.

As I said, its gets MUCH better!

POWERFARM

Reaction score
My Jube and BB have been resting quite a while now since I got my DSL 100/1960V....yep it's pretty darn good!

I also wanted to add that the DSL made me forget about getting a clean amp for my ...well...cleans! I WAS looking at jc120/twin reverbs....

dreyn77

Reaction score
I was using Ultra 2 channel! check out the settings on the 'DSL faceplate thread'.
A JMP needs a pedal to get monster gain. it also doesn't have perfect tone because the pedal is needed.
A DSL 'red' channel is perfect tone for high gain.
RR used the Dist + to 'fuzz' the brutal sound of the JMP at loud volumes. (IMO) This guy had the best gain sound back then.
The DSL red channel is much better than the RR setup. The RR setup sounds like a huge chip fryer noise. the DSL is noway near that noise, but it's very close in terms of gain and fatness.
AS Gary Moore said, the marshall guys have a better version. He was supprised at the RR amp, and was also suprised that the 'unusual' amp mod actually worked.
Red channels are the best gain sounds of all time!

Rozman62

Reaction score
Your ears and head must be filled with malted hops and bong resin to think that the DSL red channel is the best tone ever. Your the most f'd up posting idiot I have seen yet. I do my best to not bash others but you're threads belong in the waste basket...get a grip dude and please take your meds prior to posting so they maintain logic.

dreyn77

Reaction score
you are not fighting ME!

You are fighting Marshall!

THe marshall is just making your guitar louder....... there is no great mystery to it!
If you don't like it then some fine adjustments are needed.
I wish the PRO guy I got to demo the amp when I bought it would have told me how to get it working properly. but he had no idea and I played the amp for years and worked around the problem.
All the amp needed was the factory installed Valves!

THank you middle man scum!! (no name brand and Yugoslav branded in UK marshall.?)

CHeck the marshall before you bring it home!

they tried to play the same trick with the 1959RR!!!!!!!!! a decade apart.... 'Brand new' both amps...

Maybe check your chocolate peanut bar at the shop!
the middle man might have taken the peanuts out of it!

Adrian R

Reaction score
you are not fighting ME!

You are fighting Marshall!

THe marshall is just making your guitar louder....... there is no great mystery to it!
If you don't like it then some fine adjustments are needed.
I wish the PRO guy I got to demo the amp when I bought it would have told me how to get it working properly. but he had no idea and I played the amp for years and worked around the problem.
All the amp needed was the factory installed Valves!

THank you middle man scum!! (no name brand and Yugoslav branded in UK marshall.?)

CHeck the marshall before you bring it home!

they tried to play the same trick with the 1959RR!!!!!!!!! a decade apart.... 'Brand new' both amps...

Maybe check your chocolate peanut bar at the shop!
the middle man might have taken the peanuts out of it!

:scratch::monkey::applause:

Rozman62

Reaction score
Dreyn77-Sorry did not mean to be so harsh. I would like you to listen to the song "Ballad of Dwight Fry" by Alice Cooper and let me know what you think.
Some bizarre reason I think of you when I hear that song.

I can get acceptable tone on the red channel keeping the gain around 3 with an EQ boosting mids. Without the EQ it's to thin and lacking the organic tone I get from the green channel. Using an EQ helps match the tone on each channel.

Ken

Reaction score
It is possible to get a good tone out of the red channel. Gain low and volume high is the key.

:cheers:

I never used the red the first year or so of having my DSL but now it's my standard channel. Just like you said: low gain and higher volume. Tubes and bias are critical too; I always biased at 45 and since lowering it to 36-38, the red channel really opens up.

One other trick I do is set the wireless volume on 8 instead of 10 like everyone else does. This tightens up the red without sacrificing brightness, which would happen if you turned the guitar volume down.

Ken

dreyn77

Reaction score
It's alright man I'm not getting worried about what anyone says about me (unless I can get thrown into jail because of what was said)
I don't have that song on the Alice Cooper stuff I have, I can't see utube but I check it out this week. I love Alice I think he's great! I remember Alice use to be 'it' in the 70's, he was everywhere! THe guitar sound they had back then was THE GUITAR sound!
When Alice sang to the department of youth, he was singing to my mates and me. (it felt like that back then)
I'm so glad alice is still alive and telling it like it is.
I've got his book and I haven't even read it yet! I look at his picture everyday on my book shelf.

Alice, Slash and Sammy at Cabo Wabo.
that would have been a great place to be when they did Alices 'Live CD'.

dreyn77

Reaction score
It all depends on what you listen too/ for.

I agree ultra 1 in the thinnest of all the channels.
Use that to your advantage!

When I listen to Randy at the texas sound check I'm amazed by the thinness of his lightning sound. (and the stadium echo)

When I plug in all the RR gear I just get pounded by the monster sound! there is no thin lightning with echo! LOL!

I've got the DSL to come up with an EXTREMELY close sound that matches what I hear comming from my stereo at full blast.

SO the DSL is tickling my ear drums, but the RR is knocking the house down.
the RR changes how I play. I actually play the DSL.
big difference.

When you listen to what RR pedals do to the jmp amp you hear a fatter sound.

that contradicts what you hear on the LP's.

SO something is lying and not giving us the true sound of what was originally there. (or, was the sound on the CD/LP the actual sound. ? )

Ultra 1 is like a high input channel JMP/800 type of 'thinness' without the channel linking cable.
Ultra 2 is like a cascaded high input with boost pedal and EQ combined. So it's fatter and more gain. The gain isn't at the same levels as the original but the note fattness is.
Having lots of gain and no pedal plays tricks with your perseption of what is supposed to happen with the sound.
we are so used to hearing the pedals we are expecting that sound but this distortion sound is a cleaner sound.

It's 3am !
Cheers!

Ken

Reaction score
The biggest problem with the red channel is that it compresses a lot when the gain is 7 or over. It's almost as if a new cicuit cuts in. Most Marshall players don't like the compression, myself included. I think the Mesa crowd would like it better but it's a poor substitue for a Mesa.

With the gain at 0-3, you get classic Marshall tone and brighness, and there's plenty of room to boost the volume without needing to use gain for volume.

I find the green channel too boomy without a pedal, so I use it as my clean/clean channel for finger picking and clean strumming in quiet passages. I don't use any boost/distortion pedals after having retired my Ibanez TS years ago.

Ken