JMP 2203 caught on fire after connecting a bias probe & powering it up

• Thread starter keennay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

keennay

Reaction score
I'm curious...though I know nothing about circuitry and the like, did i read correctly that you purchased this grease fire of an amp from guitar center? Did you get any paperwork when you purchased it?

I'm sure there was little to no warranty when you made your deal, but for them to sell you a potentially hazardous product is a) unethical, if they knew what they were selling you, or b) they made an honest mistake and "certified" it as a having a clean bill of health when in fact it was anything but...and they should make you whole. Even if there has to be some amount of money negotiated from your side...they own a piece of this.

All my opinion, but I do wish the best. No one likes to be taken advantage of, but by all accounts you got took, by a nationally known, reputable company. Get your facts straight, make it there problem that you nearly burned your house down, and call them. You've got to spend some money anyway...maybe they can meet you half way to getting this mess resolved.

Mdt

This amp was bought from eBay on December 22, 2012. It already had problems from the get-go, for example: one of the capacitor legs was burnt off.

1976 Marshall JMP MkII 100 watt head, formerly owned by Rich Williams of Kansas
Item# 221168801927

MrDowntown

Reaction score
This amp was bought from eBay on December 22, 2012.

1976 Marshall JMP MkII 100 watt head, formerly owned by Rich Williams of Kansas
Item# 221168801927

An individual, not an authorized dealer,,,?
I'd contact eBay, and likely you used paypal for payment, so I'd contact them as well. Let them know the amp was "not as advertised". There are some timeframes that work to your advantage as a buyer, which sadly you have likely passed. Read through eBay resolution center, and if you still can, open a case for resolution. This is where the amp experts will need to chime in, but if the aMp was not due for "regular maintenance" until now, there is no way you would've known this product had been modified to a point that it was an unsafe product. If you use a credit card, such as Amex, to back up the paypal account, they could be helpful as well.

Be sure to find any and all correspondence you may have had with the seller prior to your purchase. If that correspondence was sent/received through eBay message center, send all that info to your private email account for records/safe keeping.

Working against you: your word a year later, against his.
What would help: prove he had modified the amp to an unsafe magnitude, any pictures or conversations about the wiring/circuitry being modified from/after the OEM.

Mdt

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn man, I really hate seeing you in the bag like this. Not sure what your level of amp repair knowledge is but I would get schems and/or diagrams (Entire Board Layouts available at Ceriatone and Metro) and rework the amp. This is how I pulled the PCB and built a PTP board for my Plexi. You can do it! Just take your time, you will learn so much.

Good luck.

David ♫

keennay

Reaction score
David, I'm really flirting with the idea of just purchasing a new PTP breadboard and rebuilding the whole thing. Only thing is I don't even want to keep this amp.

I recognized problems early on... it's like staying in a bad relationship...

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I have old tubes. I have old sockets. I have never seen an octal tube rotate in its socket. Were those sockets drilled or modified or is the guide on the power tub shaved? It is just strange.

Like mentioned above, change those power tubes sockets if needed.

That added fuse holder takes the same size fuses as the original. It has no purpose.
But what it is doing is increasing the protectors (fusing) capabilites. Two time delay 1.0A fuses in parallel equals on big time delay 2.0 amp fuse. I do not know what values are in the HT fuse holders but it most likely conteracting its purpose.

Seeing stuff like this indicates that a technician needs to go through it to make sure there are no other mishaps. (unless, intentionally, there was no fuse inserted in the outboard fuse holder)

Last edited:

domct203

Reaction score
I just noticed in your pic that there is no cover on the original HT fuse holder. Did you remove it or did the amp come that way? Also, it looks like someone re-labeled the mains fuse to twice the rating. That's a red flag right there that something is not right.

20140201_232454_zps4d283f0e.jpg

Dom

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
To give you some hope, I had a scenario somewhat similar. You having a misaligned power valve did cross my mind after I posted my first comment. I had a similar experience where I inserted a 6L6 in my old Fender and the guide pin had broken off. I did power the amp on but caught the problem right away. No damage done. But I can't remember how the orientation was on my mis-alignment.

domct203

Reaction score
Your OT & PT laminations don't have [any] corrostion for its age.

And touch that staple in the ohms plug hot and your in trouble.

Theres a reason why smart people don't deal with GC.

This amp is a perfect clusterfeck example.

A tech would have gone thru the amp, replaced the worn socket and everything else and got you up to speed.

Why do people keep bringing up Guitar Center? If you spend 5 min reading at least the last few posts it's quite clear where the amp was bought.

There is a reason that smart people read a thread before they post.

Dom

domct203

Reaction score
A] don't give 2 shits

B] like im spose to know

I think i'll start my own cancer research center or dental clinic cuz I watched it on youtube
So, you don't give 2 shits about reading a thread before you post in it huh?

I'm glad we got that out in the open, now I know better than to follow any of your advise.

What a loser.............

Dom

damienbeale

Reaction score
Your OT & PT laminations don't have [any] corrostion for its age.
They're obvious replacements, but that is no big deal. It's one of the only things that actually appear to have been done right in that amp.

And touch that staple in the ohms plug hot and your in trouble.
Care to explain this one, Dan? Also, perhaps you would enlighten us as to how much voltage AC and current there is present across the speaker terminals for each tap? And while you're at it explain how much voltage is required to actually penetrate the skin and even begin to start causing any trouble...

Or perhaps you should just drink a monster sized cup of STFU because you clearly lack the knowledge to back up anything that you are talking about. Which by the way, you would not be able to if you did.

Sadly, you won't read this, or even be able to respond, since I'm clearly on ignore.

shredless

Reaction score
I'd contact eBay, and likely you used paypal for payment, so I'd contact them as well. Let them know the amp was "not as advertised". There are some timeframes that work to your advantage as a buyer, which sadly you have likely passed. Read through eBay resolution center, and if you still can, open a case for resolution. This is where the amp experts will need to chime in, but if the aMp was not due for "regular maintenance" until now, there is no way you would've known this product had been modified to a point that it was an unsafe product. If you use a credit card, such as Amex, to back up the paypal account, they could be helpful as well.

Be sure to find any and all correspondence you may have had with the seller prior to your purchase. If that correspondence was sent/received through eBay message center, send all that info to your private email account for records/safe keeping.

What would help: prove he had modified the amp to an unsafe magnitude, any pictures or conversations about the wiring/circuitry being modified from/after the OEM.

Mdt

This was bought over a year ago, he has zero recourse, and if by some chance he does....that is just retarded...ebay is not wal mart, regardless if they want to sometimes act like they are.

I dont know you and I see you are new, Im not trying to start a fight here, but if people really think they can buy a used item off the internet without knowing what they are getting, then work on it with little knowledge, catch it on fire a year later and then return it or get some compensation....I may as well just blow my head off...because I dont want to live in a world that stupid:lol:

damienbeale

Reaction score
Yep, safe or unsafe, it has been worked on, and there is absolutely no rightful recourse available. Morally, or legally. At the time it would have been a different story.

MrDowntown

Reaction score
This was bought over a year ago, he has zero recourse, and if by some chance he does....that is just retarded...ebay is not wal mart, regardless if they want to sometimes act like they are.

I dont know you and I see you are new, Im not trying to start a fight here, but if people really think they can buy a used item off the internet without knowing what they are getting, then work on it with little knowledge, catch it on fire a year later and then return it or get some compensation....I may as well just blow my head off...because I dont want to live in a world that stupid:lol:

So you are admitting your ad on eBay didn't specifically state you had modified the amp. Got it. :yesway:

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score

Mdt

So you are admitting your ad on eBay didn't specifically state you had modified the amp. Got it. :yesway:

I don't know what your on, but can i have some ?

The OP had 2 options when he noticed problems with the amp. Either ask for money back, or keep and fix. After 12 months that first option is WAY out of reach.

shredless

Reaction score
I don't know what your on, but can i have some ?

same here...I have no connection to that amp MrDownTown...though your comment sounds somewhat familiar:wave:...but anyway

now, if I bought a amp off ebay, I would first ask questions.

I would then open it up and verify it was as represented, if not I would follow up with the seller at that point

I believe in being smart enough to protect yourself, dont expect the "world" to cover your ass

shredless

Reaction score
But this is really beside the point....his amp is fucked and requires repair,
not pipe dreams about someone else paying to fix it, its his and his alone

MrDowntown

Reaction score
same here...I have no connection to that amp MrDownTown...though your comment sounds somewhat familiar:wave:...but anyway

now, if I bought a amp off ebay, I would first ask questions.

I would then open it up and verify it was as represented, if not I would follow up with the seller at that point

I believe in being smart enough to protect yourself, dont expect the "world" to cover your ass

:all good man: I don't disagree with you, and really not trying to be a flaming d-bag, no really, I'm not. The op didn't raise the questions when he should have and undoubtedly has paid the price for it.

And Im not suggesting he be compensated for his lack of due diligence. But he was sold something under false pretenses, or at least that's my understanding of this cluster. As such, and IMO, the seller should be held accountable for that piece. If it means having his privileges revoked from eBay, and that is the only recourse, then ok.

Latest posts