JMP 2203 caught on fire after connecting a bias probe & powering it up

• Thread starter keennay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a very cool shop!

There will never be one where I live....

yladrd61

Reaction score
My JMP 2203 was a ticking time-bomb from day one, but I will admit what I should've done was had a reputable amp tech take a look at the circuit as soon as I received it a little over a year ago.

Anyway, I think this thread has run its course and I've continued a new one focused on restoring it to back 100% operational use here:

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/65800-restoring-1976-marshall-jmp-2203-a.html

Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for the link gldtp99.

Nick

The Metropoulos 100 Watt MV build instructions are a reallly good reference if you want to rewire a new board, fuse holders and tube sockets, also as previously mentioned Valvestorm is a great souce of parts.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Dan-I see that once again you have spammed a thread in the Workbench with your off topic nonsense. I think I have warned you about this before.

If I didn't know any better, I would think you are a troll and trolling isn't allowed on the forum. Trolls get banned.

Do you get my point?

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Listen. Posting a dozen pictures of your music store is not on topic. It is spam. I don't care about your music store pictures. It's nonsense. You are not offering tech advice because you aren't qualified to give tech advice.

The only tech advice you have made in this thread was, "You should have taken your amp to a tech." Instead of just saying this nicely, you had to add your usual barbs and insults which I am growing very tired of.

Yes, the forum is about personalities. How do you think your personality is perceived here? (Here's a hint. Read some of the comments aimed at you.) Apparently you have a lot of people on ignore, or you just don't care that people resent your insulting remarks.

BTW-Your statistics have no bearing on the fact that you have contributed absolutely nothing to this thread. As I said, once again you are doing your best to derail a Workbench thread.

john l

Reaction score
Listen. Posting a dozen pictures of your music store is not on topic. It is spam. I don't care about your music store pictures. It's nonsense. You are not offering tech advice because you aren't qualified to give tech advice.

The only tech advice you have made in this thread was, "You should have taken your amp to a tech." Instead of just saying this nicely, you had to add your usual barbs and insults which I am growing very tired of.

Yes, the forum is about personalities. How do you think your personality is perceived here? (Here's a hint. Read some of the comments aimed at you.) Apparently you have a lot of people on ignore, or you just don't care that people resent your insulting remarks.

BTW-Your statistics have no bearing on the fact that you have contributed absolutely nothing to this thread. As I said, once again you are doing your best to derail a Workbench thread.

Damn fine moderation Marty. Im quite honestly shocked at what it must take to get banned around here. The fact that he is not after all the stupid s h I t he pulls is proof that you are doing everything you can to avoid showing members the door.

Ken

Reaction score
If you woulda paid a decent tech $40 bucks for a bias you'd be jamming now.

Now you'll be paying that and more.

Don't know what this strange "amp tech fever" that has been going round on forums the last few years but once afflicted the victim is under the delusion they're and electronic valve amp technician.

WTF???? Are you a qualified tech SO hard up for customers that you tell people that they're too stupid to learn to bias an amp?

Not a single amp tech has never made some kind of mistake and become a better tech for it. Learning how to do things like bias an amp are not beyond the skill level of anyone, and yes, sometimes mistakes are made. This is no reason to throw up our hands and give up.

Ken

Guitar-Rocker

Reaction score
Estero, Florida formerly from Indianapolis

Whether you rebuild yourself, or have someone from on here help out, when you are finished there will no more remorse. Should you take it to a tech, well in the state it's in, you might as well sell it for parts because the bill will far outweigh the final product. Just my 2 cents, and I think if you rebuild you'll love it.

anitoli

Reaction score
In too many places, bias and new tubes is stupid expensive. $80 a pair for JJ el34 plus $150 or more for bias is typical.

Exactly the reason why they will attempt to do it themselves. $150 for labor on a bias setup is little steep IMO.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
See, that's the thing. Not many tube amp techs around anymore.

Why do they get $150 to set the bias?

Because they can.

Latest posts