Jubilee Owners...boost?

• Thread starter Salsg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Salsg

Reaction score
Jub owners, do you use a boost in front? What do you use?

In the band I am in right now, for a few songs I need more gain that what the Jub gives me straight in.
My Gibsons have stock pups, '57 classics and 490/498, I don't think they are very hot output wise.

What do you use? I'd like something with low noise too, I had a treble booster that I liked the tone but it was too damn noisy.

spiritdave

Reaction score
I use this in the loop :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IAFlpdBAAo]YouTube - Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster Demo[/ame]

Up front it gives you a beautifully clean extra drive ... so you get more gain etc :)

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave is that 'EH boost' very noisy? And how much extra boost can you get from it?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I tried one of those LBP-1 and returned it right away. It made my amp sound like a 70's transistor radio.

I've used a TS-9 (input high pass filtering modded for more bass) and a Japanese SD-1. Both work very well.

I also tried a Marshall Guv'nor but that was a bit much.

For a clean boost up front, the BBE Boosta Grande is allright but I still prefer the BOSS LS-2.

Salsg

Reaction score
JCM, did you find there too much mids with the TS9? Did you use it leval up and gain down?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
JCM, did you find there too much mids with the TS9? Did you use it leval up and gain down?

The TS-9's mids are actually a good thing with the Jubilee. My Ibanez TS-9 is one of those original Maxon pedals - not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Here's a clip of the Jubilee with a Jem loaded with PAF Pro pickups - They're a low output pickup and this guitar sounds a lot cleaner compared to a guitar loaded with EMGs or a high output pickup like a super distortion, 500T, tone zone etc.

The clip is done with a SD-1, level is set midway, the drive is set fairly low to 9 o'clock. Its just there to compensate for the Jem's low output. The TS-9 sounds pretty close to this. The SD-1 has a bit more edge to it.

Had I used a different guitar with higher output pickups, I probably would not have needed the boost but this is the only trem-equipped guitar I have that is setup for Eb tuning.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV7QGJW8_U8]YouTube - SacredHeart[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf-67QLsnqM&feature=fvwrel]YouTube - Lonely is the word[/ame]

Snakeface

Reaction score
GE-7 in front of the amp with a mid boost....noise is not so bad, actually it is dead quiet before 4 on the master. I love it.

ddaxe

Reaction score
I use a Boss GT 10 up front.... I crank the amp to about 7 or 8 and hold it back with the pedal board... instant feedback... the nice kind...

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
I use my Jub in my "modern metal" band,... pantera, killswitch, slipknot,...ect....

anyway, i run the master vol on 10 and the pre gain on 10 - the lead master is usually about 3-4. Anyway, that is my rhythm tone, then for lead i use my SD-1 set totally for clean boost,...gain 1 - level 10.....plus a lil delay in the loop or whatever.

I tried all the usuall actual clean boosters,..boosta grande, seymore pup boster,....and a coup others, but i didn't like what they did. I tried about 6-8 different overdrives set for clean boost and the sd1 seemd to be the most jub friendly,....makes for super smooth creamy lead tone.

Moving Air

Reaction score
I use one of these in front of 2555 lots of nice subtle options,
TCElec_NovaDynamics.jpg

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
The TS-9's mids are actually a good thing with the Jubilee. My Ibanez TS-9 is one of those original Maxon pedals - not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Here's a clip of the Jubilee with a Jem loaded with PAF Pro pickups - They're a low output pickup and this guitar sounds a lot cleaner compared to a guitar loaded with EMGs or a high output pickup like a super distortion, 500T, tone zone etc.

The clip is done with a SD-1, level is set midway, the drive is set fairly low to 9 o'clock. Its just there to compensate for the Jem's low output. The TS-9 sounds pretty close to this. The SD-1 has a bit more edge to it.

Had I used a different guitar with higher output pickups, I probably would not have needed the boost but this is the only trem-equipped guitar I have that is setup for Eb tuning.

YouTube - SacredHeart

YouTube - Lonely is the word

Well Done JCM. Sounded Great. I prefer the SD-1 as it is asymmetrical as opposed to the TS-9 which is symmetrical but het that's just my ear.

MacabreSaint

Reaction score
i use a bbe green screamer in front of mine direct to the input, does great, also preamp tubes help i think i have a sovtek ecc83 wtx or something along those lines in mine my local amp tech hooked me up with and it has crazy gain now.

Sepp

Reaction score
For many years, I ran an old DOD preamp/overdirve 250...it nailed Malmsteens early (cleaner) tone
Currently, I do two things depending on how much flexibility I need.
I 'll run a direct out of my Lead 12, right into the front of the head. (much like Gibbons)
Or, I'll use the DOD up wind from a TC Electronic Vintage Distortion into the front.
I don't use the loop.

spiritdave

Reaction score
Dave is that 'EH boost' very noisy? And how much extra boost can you get from it?

I run the output master hard, and then bring Lead master in as I need more volume and that gives me a very clean dirty sound ... so boosting with the EH boost is fantastic. Not a huge amount of noise unless you crank the hell out of every bit of the amp (which is understandable as you're boosting the noise of the amp ... not adding to it) ....

I throw it in the loop and it works well.

dread1

Reaction score

YouTube - SacredHeart

YouTube - Lonely is the word

Very nice. Has that Badlands feel to it.:)

jorual

Reaction score
I recommend the MXR MC401 in front of the amp. It will give you some more gain and clarity on the sound. The volume is just increased a bit.

If you want to have only extra volume for solos you can run this same pedal on the loop. It will give you extra db on volume.

I recommend to power it with 18 VDC for a better dynamic range.

treetrunk

Reaction score
I don't have access to the JCM2555, nor this boost pedal, but do you want to check it out?
BlackStar HT-Boost.
I don't work for Blackstar. BUT, I bought pedals from them which impressed me a lot (HT-DIST, DISTX and Drive)
Try it out if you get a chance. (You might find a demo of it on Proguitarshop I think)

jorual

Reaction score
I insist, if you want extra distrotion without no Tone Change, just some mnore claruty your pedal is MXR MC401.

Simple, easy and nice tone. Slash uses.:wave:

Latest posts