Just finished my JMP 2204 clone. Totally worth it!

• Thread starter vivanchenko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Thank you. I am not home this week. Might record a short demo next weekend, but I don't make any commitments. The best description of how the amp sounds is "ballsy" and "meaty", just like the Plexi clone I made it out of (complete rework with new PCB, all electronic components and pots). What's different is that it obviously has more gain and it "roars", if it makes sense, it roars very loudly, and then it gradually transitions into nice feedback. The Plexi clone didn't quite do it. The amp doesn't sound thin as the later versions of the JCM 800 that I played. Something to be expected from a JMP 2204. This is exactly why I chose it over a JCM 800 clone, and it didn't disappoint. My son said that he felt tremors 2 floors above me.

@vivanchenko ,
Curious as to what is different than the JCM800 versions that gives you that "little bit extra?"
Simply Askin'?
Gene

10kDA

Reaction score
I notice your settings are just about where I used to run my 1987 and 100w MkII, both NMV. So I think I know what you mean about the roar. Disclaimer - both of the amps I mentioned ran 6550s.

gldtp99

Reaction score
Good job on your 2204 (re)build

When you post pics of any build remember that these pics will be closely examined by many critical eyes

They will not hesitate to tell you that "you did this or that Wrong" or "you used XXX parts and you should have use YYY parts" or "your wiring is not tidy enough", etc

I think you deserve congratulations for rebuilding an earlier build into a form that You find more suitable

I've built 100's of tube guitar amps and they all haven't been "Perfect Photogenic Masterpieces" but that hasn't stopped them from being great sounding, reliable, useful guitar amps

I just finished a "gut/rebuild" of an earlier build and made another 25 watt 2204-ish amp and it came out sounding wonderfully impressive --- I'm very happy with it

It's a higher gain version of a 2204 circuit with a plate driven tone stack and other changes (loosely based on a Roccaforte HG 100 schematic) and it pairs nicely with the 25 watt 2204 (near stock) build I did a few weeks ago --- I used 15nF caps instead of 22nF caps through the whole amp because I have a bag full of these 15nF caps on hand and I wanted to use them up:

I have most of an old Metro 2203 kit (never built) that I'm going to build to these new specs soon and I expect this one to be a firebreather --- I'm not sure I'll use the 15nF caps in the 2203-ish build or not ---- It depends on how I feel when I get to that point