JVM 410H vs. DSL100

• Thread starter Nev
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wulfgar1976

Reaction score
I find the opposite of what some JVM owners report; the different channels and modes on the JVM blur into one another somewhat whereas the DSL's two channel's and two modes-per-channel offer a lot more variety than I expected. It's a moot point for me, though - I usually find a channel I like the most, set it up the way I like it and leave it the way it is - that is except for my favourite Marshall, which is a single-channel amplifier ;)

I would get the DSL but not merely as a backup amp; it has its own characteristics that make it unique and just as worthy an addition as the JVM in terms of sound quality, even if it doesn't have nearly as many features.

There is one thing about my DSL that makes it rather unusual compared to most people's on this forum - I like it exactly the way it is and haven't modified it at all.

Reactions: Ken

Ken

Reaction score
There is one thing about my DSL that makes it rather unusual compared to most people's on this forum - I like it exactly the way it is and haven't modified it at all.

Same here! I think most tone is in the fingers once you have professional gear; not to say gear is unimportant. But I wouldn't sound any better playing through YJM's setup than I do now, and he wouldn't sound any worse playing through mine.

Ken

bdubbs

Reaction score
DMann, Sounds like a big difference was the speakers. I think Vintage 30s sound great. They cut like a mother and have such a warm sound compared to 75s.

Salsg

Reaction score
I currently own a jvm410. I have had a jvm205 and also a dsl100 at the same time as owning the 410.
I liked the dsl100, after mods. I've modded my 410. I also modded the 205.
I liked the DSL over the 205 but not the 410.
All 12 modes of the 410 are usable. In my cover band I use 5 different settings and I love that I can cover everything and I mean everything I need with just a jvm footswitch. 5 buttons for each mode and one to toggle masters for leads.
DSL is a fine amp but its 410 for me.
If I only needed two tones a DSL would be fine but I need more than that with the range my band covers.
I can't stand hearing the same tone when the songs being played really calls for different tones.
A jvm is not complicated. Its actually very easy. Don't like because of a footswitch? C'mon man!

atstrother

Reaction score
I would add that I have played the jvm205, 410 and several dsl's.
My present dsl sounds better than my prior one and can
do a fine AC/DC (Malcolm and Angus) on the 2 channels after
a bright cap mod to the red channel. For my tastes in tone,
it sounds & feels better and more natural than the JVM's I have played.
I play in an original rock band and have no need to get a ton of
sounds, but just need a few good ones. If I was playing in a cover
band I would probably opt for the JVM410 , but for me & my present
situation less is more.