• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Jvm 410h

• Thread starter dolphinstreet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dolphinstreet

Reaction score
Tried a used one of these today. Impressive. It sounded better than an old DSL I tried. But the million knobs and thangs was just annoying. I finally figured out how dial in a good Marshall tone, but the rest of the "features" I probably would never use. It was for sale in a store for $1000 CAD. Pretty tempting to me... but I need to think about it a bit. If it's still there next week, maybe I'll bargain with them. Not sure if I should get it or not, let's hear some influential comments, guys! :fingersx:

bigd-guitarjunkie

Reaction score
Buy it. Great amp. Takes about 30 minutes to figure out what all those "millions" of knobs do. Actually a very easy amp to use.

spacerocker

Reaction score
As above

Absolute dream of an amp. Had mine two weeks and loving it! If Marshall had fitted less knobs, we would be complaining that it wasn't user friendly.

28 knobs might seem a lot, but look at it as 4 separate amplifiers, each with 5 knobs, plus four independent reverb controls, two masters, and master presence and resonance.

poeman33

Reaction score
A thousand Canadian is a very good deal unless it's really in bad shape. New, I am looking at 2100 out the door after taxes here in Ontario. GST and PST. You're lucky with no PST in Alberta.

Shawn Fate

Reaction score
do yourself a favor and buy a midi footswitch...the stock footswitches suck , they break very easy.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Nice score if you get it which for that price I wouldn't pass it up. Covers a lot of ground.

Unknown3

Reaction score
Tried it for the second time yesterday with various mid-end and high-end guitars. Just like last time, it didn't sound very good to my ears. I think it must be just me not really digging the sound, but it just isn't doing it for me. Granted, I haven't tried it FOR REAL, i.e. tried it really loud.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
i sold my DSL100 in favor for the JVM, and i cannot state enough it was one of the best decisions i made.... i'm very happy with this thing
don't get me wrong, the DSL is awesome too and it served me well for almost 10 years, but the JVM has most of the DSL in it, but with more control over your sound and twice the gain on the OD-channels without becoming muddy... the DSL became very undetailed with the gain above 6 at lead 2...
the JVM has that kind of gain on the crunch channel only,
on the OD-channels it passes the DSL gainwise, with al the detail you could want...
the clean channel is very good on the DSL, but that is surpassed by the JVM too

what bothers me most on the JVM are the stock tubes that came with it, which were biased too cold in my opinion... (60mV at the points, meaning 30mA @ 480V plate voltage)
a quad of KT77's, biased at 72 mV, along with other preamp tubes, was exactly what this thing needed
the other thing is the noisy preamp section... with that ridiculous kind of gain, its obvious you've got noise... i bought a secondhand boss NS2, wired it using the 4 cable "X-connection" and it killed all the noise... an ISP G-string was way out of budget, but the old NS2 does its job perfectly, even with cheap cables

DragonSarc

Reaction score
this is good info!!! i wonder if the DSL and TSL have the same gain? but still thinking of selling my TSL to get a JVM.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
i've never played trough or even heard a TSL, so i cannot comment on that...
but i'm pretty sure the JVM surpasses the TSL too, and you'll like it as much as i do
trie this thing out!!! you'll never regret it!

one other thing btw...
the JVM doesn't have that sick bottom end, the DSL with the deep switch engaged has, but to me that's a plus...
the deepswitch was great, but too much of a good thing, which made me leaving the bass pot pretty much at zero... with the deep switch out, i'd have to turn up the bass pot at max, and i wished it was more or less between these two settings
the resonance control on the JVM is far better though... although i keep it at max, the individual bass pots on each of the channels are used now, so there's more control..
the high end is about the same story... the DSL could be very piercing, leaving the treble and presence controls at 3 or 4... the JVM is a bit more tamed in this section, so once again... more control
one of the best things on the JVM i think, are the 2 masters... i can get a solo boost on every channel now...
i use 5 settings in preset mode on the footswitch.. each channel and mode has reverb and the fx-loop engaged
1 = clean green
2 = crunch orange
3 = crunch red
4 = OD1 orange
5 = OD2 red
6 = master switch

the most critical comments i read, is regarding the overwhelming choice of channels and modes like: "no idiot is ever going to use 4 channels"...

well.... i'm that kind of idiot :D:D:D

Unknown3

Reaction score
I could definitely see the use of a multi-channel amp. I would personally like to switch between clean, crunch, and high-gain distortion - though crunch isn't that important. I think the one flaw with the DSL 100 is that you can't switch modes on the two different channels, though I would probably never use the OD2 except for maybe leads/solos, and even then I'd probably prefer just an OD-pedal for volume boost, tone shapnig and clarity.

Now that I think about it, I should maybe go for the TSL 60 or something rather than the DSL 100.

the pup

Reaction score
Very versatile amp:

IMG_2364sm.jpg

Riffraff

Reaction score
I think it's sombody's studio....notice the way cool old school custom headbox on that JVM :dude:

If I never got married and had kids my basement would look just like that.