• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JVM410H vs. JCM2000

• Thread starter hand amputation
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hand amputation

Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I posted a little while back about finding the 'right' JCM900, and your replies got me to thinking...

I have a Mesa Triple Rectifier listed "For Trade" on Craigslist, and I have two potential trades ahead of me, for either a JVM410H or a JCM2000 Dual Super Lead. Both 100 watts, both in great condition, both with footswitch.

I'm looking at both of the amps and I think either could be a nice alternative to the Triple Rec, but I was just curious if anyone could shed light on the differences between the two amps, and perhaps which one would be a better trade.

Again, all constructive criticism would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

hand amputation

Reaction score
Best bet is get out there and jam them loud and see what you like:)

Well, sure. If I could walk into a store and play all 3 I would, but unfortunately, that's just not gonna happen!

Really just curious as to which is a 'better' amp. I mean, I am sure they are both great, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious!

:yesway:

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
I don't have either, but I believe the JVM will be able to provide more gain and more versatility (ie: more channels). Basically the JVM can do anything the DSL can do and more, while the DSL cannot do all of what the JVM can do.

Also, if you were looking to trade, the JVM is worth more so it would be closer to a Triple Rec price than the DSL. But I think Triple Recs are still priced more than JVM's.

dreyn77

Reaction score
yes but that JVM is locked in to that 'more type of sound'.
the DSL has that pre 2000's type of sound, when you have all the matching gear.

so the JVM isn't the DSL and the DSL isn't the JVM.

If you buy the old vintage amp and stand out in the audience, you'll hear a nice clean type of sound which is the clear sound of strings vibrating.
you hear everything, basicly, including finger slips on the strings and noise etc...

use a slightly more modern amp and that sound ^ gets slightly blurry, less brilliant. kinda dull.

go even more modern, say a DSL and that sound is fairly dull, almost no finger slip squeels etc...

go for the newer JVM and you're getting into real dull sounds.
it's kinda like looking at the differences in classic paintings, say between a rembrant painting (vintage amp) and an inpressionist painting.(modern amp)

but really, how many guitarists actually standout in the middle of the audience to hear their sound? none.

so you need to decide, "Do you care what the audience hears?"

If you do then the DSL is the better amp.

if you like the sound of the 'effect of the amp' then the JVM is the better amp to get.

but guys like gary moore went a few steps beyond the JVM and used the 1959HW but pointed the cab off out away from anybody, so he heard the halo of sound, sound effect.

hand amputation

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am honestly leaning towards the JCM2000 DSL.

My main 'sounds' are kinda 90's and grungy, so there's that.

Plus, one thing that turned me off about the Triple Rec was all the knobs, and the JVM has even MORE.

thegaindeli

Reaction score
I'm curious... What's the difference between pre 2000 sound and post 2000 sound?

ken361

Reaction score
I'm curious... What's the difference between pre 2000 sound and post 2000 sound?
Not sure what you meant but..
New ones are better IMO besides the wood they have the power tubes mounted to the chassis, resonance knob for lower end and less ribbon cables and pc boards. I would go new with the 5 year guarantee:hmm:

Murmel

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am honestly leaning towards the JCM2000 DSL.

My main 'sounds' are kinda 90's and grungy, so there's that.

Plus, one thing that turned me off about the Triple Rec was all the knobs, and the JVM has even MORE.

I would say the triple rec is the amp that actually defines the 90s sound wise.
After several decades of Marshalls world domination, the recto was the first of the "modern" generation of amps. Also Dave Grohl used the dual rec a lot.

I assume you are based in the US because over here you could trade a triple rec for a JVM and a DSL easily.

Do you need clean sound?
In this domain the JVM is probably the best Marshall, and also much better than the triple rec unless you need a huge amount of clean headroom.

I don´t own a DSL but I have played it. I would not agree that it´s generally better sounding than a JVM, but it´s definitely more straightforward to use.

If you don`t need cleans or an effects loop and want a more mid-rangy less compressed sound than the recto you might want to look at supercharged 800s like the 2203KK.

hand amputation

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies.

After watching some YouTube videos I decided to go with the JCM2000. I found a guy who wants to trade the Triple Rec for a (made in England) JCM2000 + 1960 4X12 cab, so I think that's a great deal on my end.

The Mesa is a great amp, but it just sounds too "Nü Metal" in my opinion.

thegaindeli

Reaction score
The Mesa is a great amp, but it just sounds too "Nü Metal" in my opinion.
I agree. The only Mesa amplifiers for me are Boogie's (up to Mark IV) and the Triaxis preamp. I hate most metal music after 1984, so I'm partial.

dslman

Reaction score
I had the Mesa Triple Rec Multi Watt Reborn,it was a monster with lots of low end chunk. I found myself trying to make it sound like a Marshall for the year I had it.

Two diff.animals,they supposedly improved the clean channel on my model but it pales compared to the 2K Dsl.

2K DSLs have a sharper,brighter tone,not as full as say the Mesa TR, it's more focused so you'll probably want to push it with your favorite OD pedal to get a lush tone,maybe use the deep swtch.

Don't be surprised if you hate it at first, it may take some getting use to .

ken361

Reaction score
I had the Mesa Triple Rec Multi Watt Reborn,it was a monster with lots of low end chunk. I found myself trying to make it sound like a Marshall for the year I had it.

Two diff.animals,they supposedly improved the clean channel on my model but it pales compared to the 2K Dsl.

2K DSLs have a sharper,brighter tone,not as full as say the Mesa TR, it's more focused so you'll probably want to push it with your favorite OD pedal to get a lush tone.

Don't be surprised if you hate it at first, it may take some getting use to .
Or find your favorite tubes and get it dialed in your best

dslman

Reaction score
Yepper, I've got 1963 GE longplate's in V1,V3
Ei in V2 and 1987 Philips military grade in V4
Ruby EL34B-STR Power Tubes
Some folks don't have ears for tubes,but these amps respond great to different glass.

dslman

Reaction score
Best bet is get out there and jam them loud and see what you like:)

Great advice ,especially if you're not familiar with a DSL.Most love or hate them,and I've been in both camps .

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I had both at the same time. FWIW the JVM went and the JCM2000 DSL100 I still have....and won't be selling anytime soon. :yesway:

georgiatec-albums-new-amps-picture4954-nice-pair.jpg

Last edited:

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I had love at first sight when I played a JCM2000 DSL 100H a few months ago at GC. Truly liked it I Went back to buy it and it was sold. I later played a brand new DSL 100H.....not quite the same love but still....liked it! Having said that, I would not trade my JVM for one. Granted , they are a little harder to dial in, but I got to say it is one hell of a work horse. Does everything well. I think the down side is it's not the best ever ( ie best ever plexi or 2203tone) tone your trying to achieve but it's so versatile and competent that overall it's a tough package to beat.

Latest posts