• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Keeping guitar in hotel room

• Thread starter EL 34
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EL 34

Reaction score
I don't feel comfortable keeping a nice guitar in a hotel room for multiple nights. I'd rather bring a cheap one and keep it out of clear view when I'm not in the room.

The cleaners tend to keep the door wide open when cleaning the room while people walk by.

Discuss

jmp45

Reaction score
I had my SG stolen by a club owner.. I wouldn't let anything valuable out my sight on the road. If I were gigging with an LP these days. I'd pick up an apple airtag and adhere it a pickup cavity. If you have an iphone it's a cheap way to track if some grabby hands ran with it.

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't feel comfortable keeping a nice guitar in a hotel room for multiple nights. I'd rather bring a cheap one and keep it out of clear view when I'm not in the room.

The cleaners tend to keep the door wide open when cleaning the room while people walk by.

Discuss

Yes, that.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I had my SG stolen by a club owner.. I wouldn't let anything valuable out my sight on the road. If I were gigging with an LP these days. I'd pick up an apple airtag and adhere it a pickup cavity. If you have an iphone it's a cheap way to track if some grabby hands ran with it.

apple airtag?

jmp45

Reaction score
apple airtag?

https://www.apple.com/airtag/

They are about $30. I don't have them but our kids do.

"Your AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the Find My network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy. And itʼs efficient, so thereʼs no need to worry about battery life or data usage."

Barfly

Expert bottle opener.
Reaction score
We used to keep them in our rooms when on tour but we'd be in and then out the next day. never had a problem but very likely we were just lucky.

I've had a custom 1984 San Dimas Charvel stolen from a studio we blocked out three months at. I didn't want to take it with me to a club where I was supposed to meet Tony Macalpine and take a couple of photos with. I was like, no way am I meeting Tony M. with a guitar in my hands. I'm not worthy.

At the studio (Sink The Pink in Manhattan) I was told "You can leave it here; nothing's ever disappeared from here." Lucky me! I guess I was the first. I never saw it again.

I had another stolen (Custom Dreams by Paul Unkert) from a music building room another band I was in rented. Only the band and a few roadies had keys so it was taken by either one very shady band member (pretty sure but no evidence) or roadie (doubt it.) I eventually got it back, beat up, from a used guitar store in Manhattan.

When I was 18 I was in a cover band. My best friend showed up with her new girlfriend, a beautiful German-Irish blond. My friend told me, "stay away, don't bother."

The girl was a nut. Anyway, end of the night she floated over to me and I bought us a couple of drinks.. I am Barfly, after all; and I quickly knew it was going swimmingly.

She said "Let's get out of here." I flew out of there so freaking fast that I left my White Gibson Flying V and my Cherry Red Sunburst Les Paul Custom behind. Jeez. LoL.

I realized the next day and was like.. oh, man. This sucks. This REALLY sucks.

I called the club totally expecting the guitars to be history but the owner had them. The owner was laughing about it. He told me to swing by the club that night and get my guitars. He'd locked them in his office for safe keeping. Why my band didn't grab them on the way out is a mystery. They were probably fugged up as well. LoL.

I'll never play again in clubs (too old) and def. never tour... but if I did I'd only bring out my El Cheap-a-mundo specials and no custom guitars. They play *fine*, they sound *fine* and if they disappear in the hustle and bustle, fine! LoL.

Keep your friends close, and your guitars closer.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
When I was on the road one city we played I had my best guitar with me,I took my guitar in a restaurant with me as I neither trusted the hotel nor the people prowling around the parking lot of the restaurant we were at.
When we had a trailer attached at the hotel, we would back it up to a wall or fence then unhook it and back over the hitch so it could neither get broken into nor wheeled away. I used to insist! One time we went to Nashville when we got to the room my drummer pulls in the parking lot sideways and gets out.....OH STOP BEING A WORRIER......I insisted....next day recording hes breaking my balls and the engineer stops and says "Oh yea, they'll cut the lock off and your shit will go in a warehouse you'll never see it again". Ive never had a allot of cash for disposable gear, I own a few and I guard them, even the workhorses.

Last edited:

end user

Reaction score

Discuss

I'm right there with you. I have had so much music gear stolen that I am ultra paranoid about it now. I used to travel a lot for work (3 weeks out of the month) and I never brought a guitar and it sucked, but it is what it is I guess.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Whenever you let a guitar out of your sight, there is a chance of it getting stolen. Once I had to leave my vintage Taylor 810 in a hotel lobby for half a day... that was stressful!

Then some years back I did a small Brazil tour. Two weeks of gigs in Sao Paulo, then two weeks of vacation in Rio. :D It was an electric gig, and I only had a fender stratocaster electric at the time (but a great one that I still have and love!). Haha, i went and bought a squier, and used it on the tour.. (but they were much better at the time).

I've since toured with expensive stuff and multiple guitars many times, but eventually I think you should only use gear you can afford to lose (financially and sentimentally).. makes for a much happier overall experience. Get a standard line electric, a Godin acoustic, helix stomp xl, all set..

TheToneDig

Reaction score
What you do is you put a Les Paul custom next to Ernie Ball music man and that way the thief stands there all confuxed not knowing which one to take until you return at which point you give him a dig and tell him he is an idiot for not taking the music man.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
What you do is you put a Les Paul custom next to Ernie Ball music man and that way the thief stands there all confuxed not knowing which one to take until you return at which point you give him a dig and tell him he is an idiot for not taking the music man.
Put the nice guitar in a cheap brand case. Hondo or something like that…….

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score

Discuss
As mentioned previously, 2nd sentence answers the question.
Or you can also request not to have your room cleaned.